Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know most of you folks are from places where teens and twenties are a norm, but trust me when I say that seeing these colds temps in Georgia has put us in a deep freeze. We simply aren't used to it. Heck, it's so cold outside I hear the hookers in downtown Atlanta are charging 20 bucks just to blow on your hands!!!

I simply don't see how some of you guys handle temps below the teens for weeks and weeks on end...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's was 13 at the house in NC this morning.

I don't mind it too much, I was raised in Michigan.

But time and age are working on me.....

Global warming my ass.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
'Below teens'???? HAH.. Yesterday morning it was -22F.. This morning it warmed to -11F.. Gonna get close to +5 by noon..

laugh

I gotta get the tractor out and replenish the supply of wood on the porch.. Shouldn't take more'n an hour or so..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's so cold here I got my water hose out and built an over pass made out of ice.

Puting up a toll booth today to make some extra cash.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
'Below teens'???? HAH.. Yesterday morning it was -22F.. This morning it warmed to -11F.. Gonna get close to +5 by noon..

Serious question, do you guys have to use two batteries, glow plugs, block warmers to get vehicles and such to start???

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You know, some years ago my dad bought some peach trees that came out of Georgia. First hard cold spell killed them, the bark literally cracked from ice. I wonder how the trees in Georgia orchards are getting on.

Of course I call a real cold spell when it's below zero. Y'all down there probably wouldn't even get out of bed when it's that cold. Just put the coffee pot next to the bed.

I've been told that tow truck drivers and garages down there love this weather. Towing people out, jumping cars, changing batteries and tires, they make a bundle

Last edited by crosshair; 01/04/10.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
P
P
I haven't seen temps like this since I lived in Alaska. It's bad when I have to break the ice in my dogs bucket so he can drink it. I just checked the temp and it is 22 deg, with a windchill on 14 deg, not sure what it was a 4:30 this morning on my way to work. I just know that is was cold.

"Registration equals Confiscation, when they come to get mine I will make sure to unload mine through the door."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE
It's was 13 at the house in NC this morning.

I don't mind it too much, I was raised in Michigan.

But time and age are working on me.....

Global warming my ass.

You know, when I was young I didn't understand why people got old and moved south. Heck, I would camp outside in January to deer hunt, a lean-to and a fire. I know now, at 50 years old, and I know it better every year.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
-14 here this morning, windchill is -28, with the light winds it actually doesn't feel too bad. grin

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the teens and twenty's NeBassman and Redneck would be on the back porch with a beach towel and a cold beer.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk

Serious question, do you guys have to use two batteries, glow plugs, block warmers to get vehicles and such to start???
Nah... Every November the oil's changed to 5-30.. Cars are in garages for the most part.. Wife's VW TDI starts well, even when it's been outside all day at work - but it's filled with a big-bux synthetic oil ($7.00/ltr).. I plug the tractor in for 4-5 hours before I start it up.. Most regular diesels do ok, but one has to learn to bury the throttle on some when extremely cold or they won't start.. Just have to back off as they catch so nothin' blows up..

Piece of cake.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Nice and warm here 20 degrees now with a forecast of 40. Snow starting Wednesday. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by crosshair
In the teens and twenty's NeBassman and Redneck would be on the back porch with a beach towel and a cold beer.
....and thinkin' of startin' the Harley... laugh

Nice thing about those temps is, the beer never gets warm.. Hehehehehe..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is 22 and snowing right now and supposed to get around 11 for the low in a couple of days. Cold for here but not un-heard of. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Temps in the teens and twenties are not that cold once you get used to them.

I used to live in Manitoba where it got down below -40F fairly often. But is was a dry cold, eh? grin

Ever since, I have had a new perspective on what "cold" was...

Below -30F I did try to use my engine block heater whenever I could though (there were never any hookers around to suck start an engine when you needed them!). smile

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice thing about those temps is, the beer never gets warm.. Hehehehehe..

Yep, that's one thing I love about January. Just set the beer box in the back of the truck and it's good to go. I'm not crazy about single digit temps, but I like it when we catch some "cold spells" down here, long as it doesn't bring an ice storm. We don't get a lot of them, so they really shut stuff down when the trees load up with ice and hit the power lines. What a mess.....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet Al Gore's heater is going full blast at his 6000 sq ft TN house. I like my woodstove.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've lived all around all of the Great Lakes most of my life and have never been bothered by the cold. I've always found it easier to warm up than cool down. Once you have the clothing to stay warm and the equipment to deal with the snow and ice, it's not a hard life at all. Throw in a little more 'fun' equipment like stuff for ice fishing and a few snowmobiles, and winter passes by rather quickly.
I also think it's much more enjoyable to enjoy the long days of summer up here than down south; at least I'm not bound inside by the A/C or totally covered in sweat if outside.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk

I simply don't see how some of you guys handle temps below the teens for weeks and weeks on end...

Temps in the teens would be great. It was -19 when I woke up in Minneapolis, MN yesterday morning. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
on our upcoming camping trip, the forecast is calling for lows around 10* and highs around 35*.

"hat" weather, for sure... grin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 260madman, 48 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,267
Posts18,504,938
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.