-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Old thread or not a very interesting read, both entertaining and informative.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find an intersting bit of humor in this research, done in italy.

It is kind of like insect repellent research on the north pole in the middle of winter.

How many seriously venomous snakes live in Italy? Not a criticism at all, just my twisted look at the topic!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A snake dented the door.... lmfao.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Are you allowed to shoot a black mamba?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
The DC electric info has been around as long as I recall. DC stun guns many years ago I was reading too.

I dunno, but I"d rather take the shock and see if it works than KNOW I'm about to die. YMMV.

I"ve read quite a bit of positive info on it. Even to the point of killing the poison of wasps etc.... not that I need a shock for a minor sting... but the way scorpions are starting to work on my system.... thought I'd eventually be immune to their pain but its going the other way.. of course I probably don't get hit by a scorpion more than 8 or so times a year.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Full on hell yeah! Just don't miss! Those SOBs are mean and fast. When I'm in Africa on every safari I always bring along a 12 gauge pump gun. I love to hunt sand grouse. Go thru 4 boxes of #6 in a few days. But, I always have that sucker loaded with some shells and it in the rack on the truck for my mamba phobia. I will post a bunch of cool pics as soon as I can figure out posting pics here. Years ago I almost stepped on 2!!! Mating puff adders. Would have been fatal to be bit. 20km from camp,(bet no anti venom) they would have just set me up under a cool tree and started fighting over my gear. 2 257 Weatherby mag 115 gr. Trophy Bonded Bearclaw at point blank(2 inches) killed them.

Last edited by Zengela; 06/15/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Zengela
Years ago I almost stepped on 2!!! Mating puff adders. 2 257 Weatherby mag 115 gr. Trophy Bonded Bearclaw at point blank
(2 inches) killed them.

PAs are primarily an ambush species so bites normally involve careless humans running into them while the snake is
minding its own business.

After already spotting the mating pair why the big need to kill them? paranoia I gather.

Would have been fatal to be bit..

Many venomous snake bites in Africa don't result in actual death. Deaths numbers (drawn from health centre data)
is in the area of 7000+ p.a.

..but actual venomous bites (drawn from health centre data) number above 300,000 p.a.

estimated unreported bites and deaths are a few times greater than those figures.

source: 2011 March issue of journal Toxicon.

additional: http://zoobase.toxinology.net/Exotic%20Snake%20Protocols/ESBP-Bitis-arietans.pdf

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I find an intersting bit of humor in this research, done in italy.
It is kind of like insect repellent research on the north pole in the middle of winter.
How many seriously venomous snakes live in Italy? Not a criticism at all, just my twisted look at the topic!

Snake venom toxicology studies take place in modern lab facilities with lab animals as test subjects,
neither of which (or the range of scientific staff) being required to be in Africa.

Venom samples can and do also come from not just the wild, but Zoos and private reptile parks.
A range of venom study centres in one country alone can each hold a constant inventory of
venoms from a wide variety of both native and non-native global species.
Its logistically much easier to milk captivity snakes every fortnight or so, than just constantly
trying to rely on capture and milking in the wild.

If you have the required captivity snakes in the same city, state or country as the venom study centres
all the better.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I think if I ever get bit by Jake No Shoulders I would want to try a nickle's worth of direct current along with what ever else the doctors advised.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Wanted their skins. Nice and pretty. On my wall now.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Full on hell yeah! Just don't miss! Those SOBs are mean and fast. When I'm in Africa on every safari I always bring along a 12 gauge pump gun. I love to hunt sand grouse. Go thru 4 boxes of #6 in a few days. But, I always have that sucker loaded with some shells and it in the rack on the truck for my mamba phobia. I will post a bunch of cool pics as soon as I can figure out posting pics here. Years ago I almost stepped on 2!!! Mating puff adders. Would have been fatal to be bit. 20km from camp,(bet no anti venom) they would have just set me up under a cool tree and started fighting over my gear. 2 257 Weatherby mag 115 gr. Trophy Bonded Bearclaw at point blank(2 inches) killed them.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...96239/how-to-post-your-photos#Post696239

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shakari
JPB,

An interesting read but really an example of my added comment. They used a stun gun and a simulation of a stun gun but didn't try it with a HT lead set up..... if you do a Google search, you'll find several examples where people claim to have used the HT lead set up successfully.

I've heard no end of stories over the years for both arguments and I don't know which is right or even if there's an inbetween where it might sometimes work, but not always..... and I've certainly never had to give it a try on anyone and hope I never will.

I would however, like to see a report of a long term study with really conclusive results either way.

Having said that, I guess it'd be a very difficult subject to research thoroughly! smile

I have heard they have a difficult time finding volunteers despite offering up to $25 US for participants

My wife tried to sign me up, but alas I was really busy on her honey do list shortly afterwards

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Starman
Years ago I almost stepped on 2!!! Mating puff adders. 2 257 Weatherby mag 115 gr. Trophy Bonded Bearclaw at point blank
(2 inches) killed them.

PAs are primarily an ambush species so bites normally involve careless humans running into them while the snake is
minding its own business.

After already spotting the mating pair why the big need to kill them? paranoia I gather.

Would have been fatal to be bit..

Many venomous snake bites in Africa don't result in actual death. Deaths numbers (drawn from health centre data)
is in the area of 7000+ p.a.

..but actual venomous bites (drawn from health centre data) number above 300,000 p.a.

estimated unreported bites and deaths are a few times greater than those figures.

source: 2011 March issue of journal Toxicon.

additional: http://zoobase.toxinology.net/Exotic%20Snake%20Protocols/ESBP-Bitis-arietans.pdf

Why kill them? So that they are good snakes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

PH sent me this pic a couple days after I left.

Maybe it's the stories but I know I am very cautious of where I step, what I walk or ride under and just my surroundings in general. I am just fine with the notion of them fleeing the area to escape contact with me but I'll still be vigilant about my surroundings. My home turf has it's fair share of rattlers and copperheads and I am the same way here at home.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,163
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.