Print Thread
Hop To
M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Kinda sorta looking at this rangefinder to replace my lost Nikon. I like the one without the TBR feature. Anyone use this in a hunting situation? I used a buds Leica CRF 1200 last fall, and was not impressed. mtmuley

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have had my RX-1000 since July. In my limited experience with it, I think it has done very well. I have ranged deer on 3 seperate occassions to as far as 505 yards. I can also range dark cattle very consistantly to just over 500 yards. Not great to some, but it is its advertised range on deer. I can easily range trees to 700 yards and during good conditions to around 800. The only thing that I really don't like is the red LED display. It works great in the moring and evening but in the middle of the day, and with snow, it becomes difficult to see. Not immpossilbe, but difficult. I know many people would never buy a Leupold range finder after many of the bad experiences with their other models, but, so far, I have been happy with mine.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
mtmuley I got a standard RX-1000 for Christmas much like bullpup cattle to about 500yd so far no deer yet a clump off weeds to 895 the other day need more time to play with it and yes the LED is a pain in sunny conditions with all this snow up here. But all rangefinders have this problem to some degree. Hope someone has more to say and be more help.

Best Alan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had one for several months and hunted it in Florida and Texas.... I am very pleased with it... It is the TBR... I luckily don't have to deal with Snow... Yet. It is my first rangefinder so I don't have previous experience with others.

I take a lickin', and SOMEHOW, Keep On Tickin'!!!! smile
M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys. This info really helps. mtmuley

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mtmuley: I have used the Leica 1200's on many occassions for both Big Game Hunting and Varmint Hunting.
I myself own the Leica 900 Model.
I have used at least a dozen and a half of various makes and models of laser rangefinders and laser rangefinder binoculars.
And I have personally owned four different models.
And I do not recall a more reliable and easy to get readings with laser rangefinder than the Leica newer models!
I am puzzled why you were not pleased with the Leica 1200's?
Sorry about your lost Nikon's!
That is a bum deal.
Good luck with whichever brand you choose to replace them with.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Kinda sorta looking at this rangefinder to replace my lost Nikon. I like the one without the TBR feature. Anyone use this in a hunting situation? I used a buds Leica CRF 1200 last fall, and was not impressed. mtmuley

I think the Zeiss PRF works better than the Leica CRF1200 when dealing with snow/precip.
It also gives faster readings.

The CRF is still pretty awesome.

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Varmintguy, The Leica seemed erratic in ranging distance, now granted, we were ranging antelope in grain stubblefields. Probably real tough on any brand. It seemed to work better on animals in CRP. I really don't like the trend to these itty bitty sizes either. My Nikon was held binocular style, which is hard to find in any brand these days. mtmuley

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mtmuley: Again I am sad you lost your Nikon full size unit!
I hate that (losing stuff!)!
It seems with all the laser rangefinders I have tried "flat-land" readings are sometimes "touchy".
If time permits when Prairie Doggin or Antelope Hunting on real flat ground I often take several readings - until I am sure of the reading.
We had three small Bull Elk walk across a flat right out in the open on opening day this season. They were on a snowy flat and I was just a bit higher than where they were walking and stopping occassionally to scrape the snow away and nibbling on the grass.
My Hunting partner was seated right next to me and he was using an unknown model Nikon (smallish unit) and I had my Leica 900 unit. We both got out our rangefinders and ranged the Elk. We checked the range on the "lead Bull" then the middle Bull then the last Bull - our readings were never more than 1 yard in variance! They were just under 300 yards IIRC.
I come from the generation that to begin with had NO rangefinders then YEARS later crude optic comparison devices sometimes got us within 100 yards of reality!
Todays rangefinders are an outstanding tool for the medium and long range Hunter!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
VarmintGuy, I too come from the generation of no rangefinders. Some of my friends and family scoffed at my new Nikon. (They now all carry one of some sort.) I could hunt without one, but I have taken several animals that I may not have taken without one. Times are tough in the building trade, and I've been ratholing money to replace my lost one. I notice a killer deal on the discontnued 900 here on the FIRE. mtmuley

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 160user, 222ND, 53 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,611
Posts18,511,737
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.