Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I travel a good bit and am always surprised at the different laws to buy beer and liquer between states.

In Oklahoma you can buy 3.2beer at grocery stores but for real beer, wine and liquer you have to go to a Liquer store where you can buy all three. You can buy beer at a restraunt or bar but it has to be in an opened container.

In Texas some counties you can't buy ANYTHING and then in the next county over you can buy beer and wine at the local supermarket. Some county's you have to join a club to buy a beer with dinner. - Pretty goofy.

In the U.P. (Northern Michigan) they had small shatterproof plastic bottles of Jim Beam called "travelers" next to the battery's at the grocery store checkout. Hmmmm not supposed to drink and drive but hey why not make it easy :-).

My vote for the goofiest goes to PA. If you want to buy a sixpack you go to a local bar (illegal in OK). If you want to buy more than a sixpack you have to go to a beer distributer where you can only buy it a case at a time. If you want to buy Liquer you have to go to a state owned liquer store ( I quess you buy wine there too, I never found one!).

What other states have goofy drinking laws? Did I miss anything about the ones I've mentioned?.......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Moonshine is illegal here......

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh yea one of the funny things I remember about Germany was being able to buy Jack and Coke in a can, at a gas station! :-) ..............DJ

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Suprisingly this is one area where CA has is right. All alcohol is available at any store that is allowed to sell alcohol, what a concept!

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
it surprised me when i drove through Louisiana and saw the brothers buying liquor at the convenience stores when i'd stop to get gas

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Of all the states I've lived in, Oklahoma had the strangest laws.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Minnesota 3.2 beer law is pretty stupid.

Also got stuck in a dry county Alabama for work once. What a horrible surprise to sit down, order a burger and fries and a beer, only to be told that the nearest place to purchase beer was about 40 minutes away...savages.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Texas. I live in the bible belt here and it's ridiculous. We have more "winos" per capita than anywhere else tho because the holy rollers don't count that as true alcohol and it can be bought at the grocery store as opposed to hard liquor.

Also one of the retarded areas you have to join "the club" to buy alcohol with your meal. Have a college of 16,000 in town and you can't buy beer and pizza in the same location. They think it makes people less likely to drink lol. They publish the DWI's daily here and we have more DWI's in a county of 50,000 than in the last town I lived in which published there's in the paper as well and it was a metro area of 400k and you could buy any alcohol anywhere anytime.

I don't even drink AT ALL and it bugs me.

Last edited by NathanL; 01/05/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Whatever county DFW is in....

MN is messed up too.....

All is golden here unless its 2AM to 7AM.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HawkI
Whatever county DFW is in....

MN is messed up too.....

All is golden here unless its 2AM to 7AM.

I don't know about DFW Airport though. That's were I figured out that flying buzzed is more fun than sober and Stoli doesn't make you pee as much as beer :-), :-) but that's another story..................DJ

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It is also illegal to sell singles (12oz) at convenience stores in OK now (but quarts are fine grin). Liquor store where I grew up was divided in half, one side had liquor, wine, and beer above 3.2(hot). In order to buy cold beer you had to go back outside, go into the other side of the building. Cold beer was 3.2%.

I worked a couple of years in south central PA. I never could make sense of the case minimum either, but I did drink a lot more beer than I normally would have if I could of bought it by the 6-pack.

Lot's of southeastern states have funky laws (dry counties/ wet counties, blue laws, etc.) Arkansas, TX, Tenn., and Florida immediately come to mind.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The town I live in is a dry town. No alcohol in any restaurant, not even a beer at the mexican places. The city limits have grown over the years and now include two liquer stores that used to be out of town. They are still able to stay in business since they were annexed in after the town became dry. A dry town with two liquer stores, how stupid is that?

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
i live in mn and it sucks everytime i travel to another state takes me a while to remember that i dont have to find a liquor store i can go to a gas sation or grocery store..

mn 3.2 at gas stations or grocery stores
and liqour stores are closed on sundays ..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lubbock, TX; they can't open a liquor store within a certain distance of a church BUT they can open a church within inches of a liquor store. Result; all the liquor stores were on the edge of town.

Pine Ridge, SD; entire reservation is dry. Result is that a certain town in Nebraska sells millions of dollars worth of booze every year and the tribe can't do a thing about it. Doesn't occur to them to open their own liquor store and use the procedes to fund the alcoholism program.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Jones county is dry. You can by beer and liquor in laurel and Soso, but not in the same store. The beer and liquor stores are usually side by side but have to be a separate business. All liquor is distributed the state and when they have computer or accounting problems it puts a halt to all deliveries.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gadfly
It is also illegal to sell singles (12oz) at convenience stores in OK now (but quarts are fine grin). Liquor store where I grew up was divided in half, one side had liquor, wine, and beer above 3.2(hot). In order to buy cold beer you had to go back outside, go into the other side of the building. Cold beer was 3.2%.

OH yea you reminded me of a little store up the road from Sallisaw in Oklahoma just across the river from Arkansas. There was a little store with 2 doors in the front, one to a beer store and the other to a liquer store. We went in one side that had a beer store there was an open doorway in the wall but there were all sorts of signs that said do not go through the doorway, you must exit the front door to re-enter the liquer store on the other side. We asked the Lady on the beer side what the deal was and she gave some story about 2 different licenses blah blah, so we went out the front door and walked into the Liquer store side.

The beer lady walked through the doorway in the wall from the beer side to the Liquer side and said "Is there anything I can help you with today?". I Swear it was just like an old Hee-Haw skit............................DJ

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Only in America can we purchase potentially hazardous unregulated products from China at will, but yet in several states cannot have a bottle of wine shipped to you after it was entirely produced and taxed on American soil.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I may have this wrong, but if I was told correclty it might be Louisiana.

Do they still have drive up windows where you can order a drink like a Sonic Slurpee? You can have it in the car, complete with a straw, but you aren't supposed to drink it.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've seen drive through stores in Ohio and other states. Drive into the drive through and they hand you a sixpack or I quess whatever else to you in your car......................DJ

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
They are Baning smoking in bars. Won't be long they will ban drinking booze in bars. Damn this Brave new world. The only Wild Turkey will be the feathery critters that live in the hills.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 21 invisible), 1,423 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.