Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by grouseman
No. While in prison they aren't contributing members of society, but wards of the State. As such, I would say that they are considered minors in that regard.

I would classify more than just inmates in relation to voting rights.

The prime reason we are broke.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Forager
Try the social contract theory espoused by Hobbes in Leviathan and Locke in his Second Treatise on Government.

Both wrote on it extensively. If you can't recall that, perhaps it is time for a re-read, and that's no insult.

Well, it has been a while since wading through their writings. But if I recall, they are writing about government's authority to imprison/punish as opposed to permanently denying rights.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Forager
Try the social contract theory espoused by Hobbes in Leviathan and Locke in his Second Treatise on Government.

Both wrote on it extensively. If you can't recall that, perhaps it is time for a re-read, and that's no insult.

Well, it has been a while since wading through their writings. But if I recall, they are writing about government's authority to imprison/punish as opposed to permanently denying rights.

Casey

Not necessarily so. Again, perhaps it is time for a re-read, and you're not alone in that regard. It's likely time for a refresher course myself.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by crowrifle
The 2-1 ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals...

Explains everything.

Yup.

Just another whack-job decision by the 9th.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Only if there REPUBLICANS !!!! We need all the help we can get !!!!

Dino

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Felons tend not to be the kind of people who vote, as a general rule.

Those few that would vote, if they could, might surprise you with their political beliefs. (Skinheads, for example, are seldom Democrats.)

It's not something I worry about much.

- Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Screw the Felon's, they have already proven that they are not productive members of society, I especially think that of anyone that commits a violent crime! mad

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Screw the Felon's, they have already proven that they are not productive members of society, I especially think that of anyone that commits a violent crime! mad

Oh really??????
Have you looked at some of the things that are now classified as felonies??
It might come as a big surprise to you but in our nation today some people are being charged as felons that a few years ago would have been not such a big deal.

So with all that said my opinion is that anyone who is being currently incarcerated is a ward of the state who cant exercise his/her right to vote but if that person has now served their time and is in free society they should have that right returned to them.
Imagine a kid of 18 years of age in the late 60's getting caught with a joint and charged with a felony as it was in those days and from that day forward even though they went on in life as a productive human being were forever denied that right again.
Come on!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Notcie the violent crime part, and yep, thats how I honestly feel, there is a process to reclaim your rights, they should not just be arbitrarily returned!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Notcie the violent crime part, and yep, thats how I honestly feel, there is a process to reclaim your rights, they should not just be arbitrarily returned!

I more than noticed the violent crime part.
I also noticed your general term felon.
Pour motor oil on the ground in Texas today and you have now committed a felony.
Get my drift??

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Same thing if you do it in the Army at NTC. Les

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
NO!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't believe they should be able to vote while incarcerated. When they are out, and have paid their debt, yes.

Don't lose sight of the FACT that bad public policy, and a gaggle of insane, intrusive laws have made felons out of about a third of the population now.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 01/06/10.

Sam......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
no.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Somebody mentioned that they don't tend to be the type that votes. If I remember correctly, the Dems are working on a mandate to require voting. If so, this would work out well for them, since a lot of felons would probably register as Democrats. Good timing on their part. Think of the sound judgement a crackhead rapist has, and you'll understand why it would appeal to the left. It's their only hope after the hope and change of Oblamma.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

What would you define as a violent crime Les? (I'm betting your definition is quite different than the government's definition).

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They should be able to if illegal aliens do.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't believe they should be able to vote while incarcerated. When they are out, and have paid their debt, yes.

Don't lose sight of the FACT that bad public policy, and a gaggle of insane, intrusive laws have made felons out of about a third of the population now.

Yes sir--I agree.....

One of the most effective methods for diarming the population is to tag them with some "crime", that really isn't a crime. Or to redefine a minor crime as a serious crime. Then permanently deny their rights.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Does this mean they can have C P L .s

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Consider this,

A friend and I had planned on going coon hunting one Saturday night many years ago. We talked about it for a couple of weeks before hand. He had a live in girlfriend that the rest of us guys knew was a bisch -- a really hot gymnast, drill team, cheerleading bisch a few years before.

She was going to go with some of her friends out that night and didn't mind his going hunting with me, she said.

When the night finally came around, she was with him when it came time to hunt (This is when we could still spotlight around here). He wanted to know if she could come too, I reluctantly agreed. But we were less than five miles from town when I had had enough. She was like a broken record "This Sucks," There's nothing out here," "What a waste of time," etc., She wanted to go back.

I turned around and took her to her car back in town. My buddy told her he would see her later. "But you're not going back hunting now are you"? she asked. "Well of course," he told her. So she wanted to go again. I finally stepped in here! "No you are not going with us in my vehicle," I told her, "We already tried that". "See Tom, we can't go now Brad said". "He didn't say that I couldn't go, he said that you couldn't go," Tom told her. He was right

She told him "Well then, I'm gonna go screw one of your other friends". "That's fine, just make sure you have all of your stuff out of my house when we get home by morning," He told her.

She took off mad muttering something about her stereo. Tom told me that we had to get to his farm right away, that she was going to get her stereo out of his car -- He had a sweet '72 Challenger RT in car show condition in a quonset there, and that all she really wanted to do was get behind the dash and cut every wire she could find off short like she had the last time, (this was news to me).

So that's where we went. Sure enough when we get there, she is on her back behind the dash with wire cutters. Tom told her that he would take the stereo out and hand it too her. So he was on his back, legs hanging out the door, working on it, and she slammed the door on his legs! He sat up grabbing for his shins, and she punched him in the face just like a man would. His glasses broke and cut him pretty bad and he had blood running down his face, now he had both hands covering his face -- She was a healthy girl and was wailing away in a series of windmill punches on him.

Finally he put two hands on her shoulders and pushed her over backwards. She fell on her butt and broke her tailbone we found out later. I was still sitting in my truck flabbergasted. She ran off bawling, and Tom and I went hunting. Tom says, "Sorry Brad, I don't believe in getting physical with them, but . . ."!

"Well, I don't either, but I thought I was going to have to get out and save you soon," I told him. When we got home in the morning, the Sheriff took him to jail. He was released Monday morning, and I had to go to court several weeks later as a witness. All charges were dropped, but he has always waited a week to buy a firearm every since. She had already tried to make up with him by the time court came around and tried several times after that -- every time she got rejected, she had another fit. He finally had to put a restraining order on her. If I hadn't of been there that one night, he would more than likely have been one of those violent felons that we are discussing in this thread as well.

Even if he would of been convicted, he would of paid his debt, and should of been restored his rights after incarceration as well IMO.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 52 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,041
Posts18,521,105
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.