Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Blong Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Do you guys consider a 9 pound 300WM rifle (all-up) to be too heavy for high country elk hunting? I have only been elk hunting twice before with a tikka 695 in 300WM, and I do not recall the weight being an issue. Not sure how much it weighed, but probaly not 9 pounds all up. I hear a lot about the light weight rifles, and was just curious as my next trip is not until 2011 which would allow me to sell this custom and buy a Finnlight or Montana if I decided to go the lightweight route. Thanks in advance for any replies!

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blong, I've carried 9lb elk rifles up and down steep timbered slopes including above timberline. It's certainly no big deal to carry a 9lb rifle, I just happen to like something around 7lbs or a bit lighter these days.

Don't know what glass you're packing, but I'd suggest you put your shekels into the best bins you can afford rather than another rifle.

My .02

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
no matter what kind of shape you are in, you will be able to go farther, faster, and quieter with a light rifle. however, this doesn't really matter to some folks, and 9# all up isnt grossly heavy, just a pound or two over what i'd like a .300 to weigh.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by toad
no matter what kind of shape you are in, you will be able to go farther, faster, and quieter with a light rifle.

Honestly, I've never found that to be the case, but I would agree that a lighter rifle makes the hunt more enjoyable.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I Would listen to Brad if I was You. Unless you are at you're perfect weight,and in great shape, the extra lb or two in a rifle is'nt make the mountains any flatter. That has been my experience as a flatlander elk hunting out west in elevation,

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never knew my nine pound rifles were heavy until someone told me they were. Go figure. Wow it pains me to think about the thousands of miles I've hiked through mountains carrying heavy rifles and I didn't even know it.

Blong, you will be good to go.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt with a tikka 695 stainlesss and laminate 300 win mag,Love the rifle,must be close to 9 lbs scoped, it's not a light weight for sure. Doesn't bother me.I would be hard pressed to find a better rifle in my opinion.

1 and done
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I trekked the mtns with a 10.5lb rifle. Didn't think it was ideal, put it didn't change anything I did or limit from going somewhere. Are lighter rifles a bit nicer to carry? Sure, but they don't make or break a hunt, and the lack of weight certainly doesn't make it shoot better.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I carried a Weatherby Accumark for years up and down the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming. Didn't know the difference or didnt care. I was younger and a bit more lean than today. This fall I will be toting a Remmy 700 LA or a Win 71. The 71 is not light by any stretch, but its what I want to carry.

I have some ultralight rifles, but I get as much out of the rifle/caliber combo as the hunt. Maybe thats why I cant kill that 380" bull, too busy admiring what rifle I'm carrying.

Joseph

Joseph
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My Whelen touches nine lbs.

The .338 8# 12oz.

I don't find nine lbs prohibitive but I like 7.5 or 8# better.

My Featherweights weigh about that.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
9 pds.That's about what an Ak-47 with big clip weighs. If them skinny Muzzies can carry them all day in the mountains and deserts,then a healthy fit American should be able to carry a rifle in the 10 pds range easily all day. If he can't he needs to do a little more exercise.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's my .300 Win Mag - It weighs in closer to 11# scoped & loaded.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes nice one. Nice rig. A box of bullets for my 378 weigh 2 pounds. so 10 cartridges is one pound. I never leave home without 1 box at least. LOL

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My horse carrys my rifle when I'am elk hunting. If he can't carry a ten # rifle I'll just get another horse. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right on, my horse burns gasoline. It's an 800cc quad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've done my share of carrying 9lb rifles up steep slopes and it never stopped me. Maybe its in my head, but when I bought a postal scale I was shocked at how much stuff I used to carry around. I've trimmed my rifles weight as a result. I can still go all day over multiple days but I see the day coming when I'll be having a horse to get me where I need to go - either gas or hay.

In the end, if I noticed the weight of my rifle because someone else pointed it out, I'd forget they ever talked to me. If you notice the weight, then it may be time for a trim. The simple addition of a McM stock can make quite a difference.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have carried rifles over the years over 9lbs.For a few years I carried an Browning reprodction 1886 at 13 lbs. I killed two bulls with that rifle. It was so heavy I had a hard time keeping my saddel straight on the mule.The lightest rifle I carry is a 6 lb Marlin 44 mag Carbine.

I have carried a 9lb + Model 70 in 7 mag on sheep and goat hunts with no problems.

I am vertically challenged at 5'5" and on a good day if I fall in a creek I weigh 150lbs. If I can carry 9 lbs,so can most folks,and I don't hunt flat country.

I always get a chuckle out of guys complaining about carrying a 8lb rfle and yet they carry a4 lb handgun strapped to thier belt while doing so,becasue theywnat a handgun if they should need to "finish a big game animal off"

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/08/10.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just had a rifle built for me, an all-around field rifle, and used it this fall in the mtns for deer and elk, and on the plains for antelope. 8lbs 13 ounces and I like it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
here is something to think about, when your breathing hard and a little shaky from walking up hill a heavier rifle is easier to stabilize than a light weight whippy barreled rifle. you will also have better success with longer shots. train a little before you go hunting, spend some time on a stair stepper or and elliptical it will help you out in the long run and make the experience a lot better.

6.5mm's rock
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I've carried a 9 pound rifle in the mountains of Idaho for about 20 years now, but as of late I've decided that I don't need to. If that's all a guy has, then by all means go forth and shoot things.

If you have the means/opportunity to carry a rifle that weighs two pounds less, I assure the daily experience of hiking up and down is made more pleasurable with a lighter firearm.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 1,748 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,159
Posts18,523,475
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.