Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Auger01 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I recently got a smokin deal on a lefty 22-250 varmit rig a local pawn shop. I bought it just for the lefty action, figuring I could part out the HS stock and heavy barrel and end up with only 200 or so invested in the action.

Well, today I went to a local gunshop that I dont frequent very often to see what it would cost to unscrew the barrel. The gunsmith, not quite with a straight face, quoted me 35-70 bucks "depending how long it takes." That kinda reminded why I dont go there very much. That is at least an hour at the shop rate, probably more. What do you think it should cost to unscrew a barrel?

I could just wait and have it done when I have the new barrel put on, but that might be a few years and I would rather not clutter up the safe in the mean time. Guess Ill go see what midway wants for a barrel vise....

Last edited by Auger01; 01/07/10.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It should take all of 5-10 minutes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
less than that if the smith has a bottle jack type hydraulic vise.

unscrewing a 60-80 year old Mauser barrel takes about 10-15 minutes in a midway barrel vice and midway action wrench using oak blocks and rosin for gripping the barrel.

If you do go the barrel vice route, you also have to go the action wrench route which isn't worth the money for 1 action.

NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I gotta raise my prices...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Auger- I made my own wood reciever clamp put it in a bench vise borrowed dad's strap wrench and bingo.

Last edited by Firemann; 01/07/10.

"I've made alot of money in my life, most of it spent on guns and women. The rest of it I just wasted."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Frontier Gunsmithing there smile.

$35 I could do, maybe. Even though it takes no tooling setup or real work on his part.

$75 is like paying to have 3 or 4 done at once.

NRA Life Member
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
$20, while I waited, last time I had it done.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Interesting read. I am not a 'smith or gunbuilder, but I do have a well equipped shop with a real barrel vise and bushings to fit just about everything. If you were close to me I would do it for a cup of coffee or a can of pop.

$35 to $70???? This is why "gunshops" go out of business. Should be a free courtesy job, at the most $10. Build some goodwill and develop repeat customers!! Oh, I forgot, we have not taught business courtesy in the US since about 1955.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you where here in TN i would do it for you for nothing or let you use my equipment and get a feel of doing it yourself. My opinion this guy just didn't want to do it and the price was his way of saying no.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Auger01 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bea175
My opinion this guy just didn't want to do it and the price was his way of saying no.

I had considered that. I would have much rather him just say "no" rather than what he did. This particular smith in that store, who is not the owner btw, has always been rather short with me. I dont know if he is that way with everyone or if I maybe did somethin to pizz him off. If I did, I dont know what it was.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Auger01
Originally Posted by bea175
My opinion this guy just didn't want to do it and the price was his way of saying no.

I had considered that. I would have much rather him just say "no" rather than what he did. This particular smith in that store, who is not the owner btw, has always been rather short with me. I dont know if he is that way with everyone or if I maybe did somethin to pizz him off. If I did, I dont know what it was.

Simple solution, take your business elsewhere, and tell the owner why.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Auger

Lets face it, just about all guns are related to hobby or recreational status. That makes it easy to forget that for a full time gunsmith with a legitimate professional shop he is not there for recreational reasons. He is there to earn a profit and make a living. So he must make a little money on every transaction. If he doesnt he will go under like so many do.

What I did not realize until I got in the business is that any minor job no matter how small costs at least a half to one full hour. It happens a lot like this......... Potential customer comes in. You shut down the lathe or lay down the complicated parts group that you almost had fitted. You greet the customer and he shows you his gun and asks about work desired. You examine it and make a quote. Customer asks more questions and while he is at it he asks to look at a couple of differant guns for sale. He decides to comission the work and you fill out all the paper work required. Take it back to the work bench, locate tools, do the 10 minute job. Put tools up. Fill out receipt and take in the money. Before he leaves he tells you about another gun problem that he has been thinking about bringing to you. Then he asks if he can use your bathroom, you look down at his kid and his legs are crossed and his eyes are bugged out so you say OK. Finally he thanks you and he leaves. You go back to your original project and you think lets see where was I, where did I lay thhose dial calipers, oh wait I finished that part I was turning the shank down not drilling the clearance hole. You look at your watch and 45 minutes has gone by.

I know not every customer demands that much of my time but the average customer uses a minimum of 15 minutes to drop off and the same to pick up a gun. Thats a half hour before you even start. In my area you need to take home after expenses at least $25.00 an hour for near poverty existance. When I figure the cost of my building, 1500 sq ft about $75,000, equipment well over $100,000, inventory, alarm system, insurance, utilities around $3,000 taxes, maintenance etc, etc. So to barely scratch out a meager existance I should be averaging well over $50.00 an hour. Chevrolet dealers now charge $125.00 an hour.

There is a tremendous number of part time gunsmiths who operate out their garage or some low overhead situation who can charge much lower fees and still pocket a little money. Heck I was part time once myself so I know how that works. But when you deal with a full time experienced and well tooled gunsmith dont think he is a crook if his fees seem a little high.

Having said all that, $35.00 is not out of line at all. But $70.00 would be pretty steep for removing your barrel.

One more thing. If I am doing several things to gun at the same time, prices are adjusted accordingly. For example if I am glass bedding a rifle and customer wants the trigger tuned as well. The fee for the trigger work will be about half normal price since the gun has already been disassembled at that point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Having said all that, $35.00 is not out of line at all."

well said.

Let's say I've got a small garage, you come in and say, ...."I need you to run my car up on your hoist, and adjust my left rear brake shoes,.....nothing else."

"I recently got a smokin deal ......" don't mean everbody else is going to make you one,....does it?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I walked in to a shop on Tuesday that I'd never been in before to have that very same thing done. Walked out with barrel removed and payed nothing. Not expected, but very kind.

Public landowner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
agreed with Cinch. Maybe you take the barrel off for free. Maybe that customer comes back with that action later and wants you to put the new barrel on, order him a stock, fit the stock, add and tune a trigger, etc. Then that customer goes and tells his buddies what a great guy you are, etc. etc.

There's more than 1 way to look at everything, but $75 is stupid.

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Interesting thread... Craftsman definitely has a point. My gunsmith charges me nothing. But then he always has 2-4 of my guns sitting in his rack waiting for work to be performed. And unfortunately, my work gets put on the back burner. But then, he is a personal friend, and I don't expect him to put me in front of paying customers. (Not that he does my work for free, either...) I have a half-dozen different 'smiths that I use for different work.

My gunsmith buddy has a couple of days a week that he is closed to walk-in traffic, so he can get things done. He's never closed to me, but I respect the fact that shootin' the bull with me doesn't earn him any $, so I only go there when he is open.

If Auger01 walked in to his shop, he'd likely charge him only $10-$20 and do in on the spot likely thinking he'd make a bunch more in the long run...

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
we did a job a month or so back repairing a tokarev pistol that someone has fubared. He had the parts, and just wanted em installed. We charged him $10 for a sear stoning, extractor fitting, and cleaning.

Came back the next week and ordered a custom hunting rifle on a VZ24 mauser action.

NRA Life Member
A
Auger01 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
"Having said all that, $35.00 is not out of line at all."

well said.

Let's say I've got a small garage, you come in and say, ...."I need you to run my car up on your hoist, and adjust my left rear brake shoes,.....nothing else."

"I recently got a smokin deal ......" don't mean everbody else is going to make you one,....does it?

GTC

I understand that they are in a business to make money and that the light bill isnt going to pay itself. I did not expect him to do it for him to do it for free. I was expecting to pay 20 or so and I probably would have grudgingly paid 35. While I dont buy a ton of stuff at that shop, I have bought powder, primers and miscellaneous gun supplies there in the past. The shop even has a nice Sig 556 that I have been trying to convince myself that I "need", but given the surly attiude that I got along with the open ended quote for a simple job, its going to be a very long time, if ever, before I go near that place again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree. If you have to charge for the light bill, why act all surly and salty. $35-$75 is a very large variance for the same amount of work. As a previous poster suggested. If you don't want the job, just tell the person, don't quote them a ridiculous price to get them off your back.

Something I've learned in the food industry. If a customer comes in, has a great time, and leaves happy and full, they will tell (on average) 2-4 people. If a customer comes in and has a bad experience and leaves dissatisfied they usually tell 9+ people.

You're only hurting yourself, and the light bill by running people off with high quotes.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some shops understand the concept of future business and customer service, some don't. I'd imagine the guy at this shop figured you are the cheapy type customer and his only chance to get some $ out of you is to gouge you for removing the barrel. He figures you aren't going to have him do the barrel job, so why should he do the work for a minimal fee.

On the other hand, craftsman is spot on. The local smith can get nickled and dimed to death on the dreaded "5 minute job" No job takes just 5 minutes of total time, and yet the customer figures well if the shop rate is $60/hr, and it only takes the smith 5 minutes to unscrew the barrel, it should be a $5 job.

Perhaps the best compromise practice is for a shop to have a minimum charge of 30 minutes or 1hr shop rate for all jobs. The smith could also add, while I've got your gun apart I can do an inspection of the action for you, and if the shop has an u/s cleaner it's no biggy to toss the action in there and provide it back to the customer cleaned up.

Thus a win/win, the smith get's the shop minimum to make it worth his while, the customer gets more work done then he'd planned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1234, 219DW, 60 invisible), 12,239 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,255
Posts18,544,565
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.