-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
After years of lusting after the ultimate lever action, I got a deal even a Yankee horse-trader (me) couldn't pass up. I recently acquired a 1920 serial numbered 99F Featherweight Take-Down in 30-30. It came with a Weaver K-4 for less than three bills. Well worn, wood shrunk back from the metal, gunked up with what looks like 90 years of lube and dust, but smooth metal and works fine. My big question, is there anyone out there who restores 99's like Turnbull does for Winchester's or Colt's? I can do most of the metal work myself to clean it up, but I'd like to take off the scope, put on a receiver sight, clean everything else up, and replace the wood with something that fits and looks right. Any help would be appreciated.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Photographs?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah... Pics would really help in seeing what you can/should do to the rifle...!!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turnbull does 99... got $3000-$5000?

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.bosesofnebraska.com/

Several here have used these folks.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

IC B2

N
OP Offline
N
I only have photos on my home computer. Wifey and I are trying to load them on her shutterfly account, but you would need her password, and that ain't happening. I'll keep trying to figure out some way to post pics.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
rewooding is practically impossible,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As mentioned, Boses of Nebraska can do a good job of duping the stock, run you a few hundred. Sounds like you can do the rest yourself.

Something to consider is that you can probably find a nice hunter without the extra holes for $600-$800.

Welcome to the forum!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
N
OP Offline
N
http://navyogre.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Link to photos. Thank you all for the suggestions so far. I have done some careful restoration of shotguns, percussion rifles, and military stuff. Hopefully nothing that anyone would call "Bubba-done", I learned from a pretty good gunsmith in VA. I'm pretty confident about the general cleaning, light buffing, and metal finish, but I'd like a pro to redo the case hardening and at least a head start on a nice stock and fore end. Can't help having a thing for curly maple or the like.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think it will restore nicely, if that's what you're looking to do. I've got a refinished 99F in 30-30 from the same year, only thing I don't like about it is they didn't do a good job on the stock finish.

While I love folks who do a great job on restoring the old trashed ones, I presume you know you'll never get your money back?

IC B3

N
OP Offline
N
"While I love folks who do a great job on restoring the old trashed ones, I presume you know you'll never get your money back?"

I've wanted a 99 since I first saw one, a long time ago. Wanted something with character, not a new one, even though they were available then. Got busy with a military collection and just never found "the right one". This one's clean lines called to me. My restoration will not be to pristine new condition, but to what could have been had this one been more cherished throughout it's 90 year life span. I intend this to be a labor of love and something I can pass down to the grandkids.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's the best reason to do it..

Here's my 1920 99F in 30-30, reblued and refinished and d&t. Same as yours, it just kind of called to me..

[Linked Image]

N
OP Offline
N
Beautiful. That's pretty much what I had in mind for mine. I love the stock figure, did that come with it or was it a replacement? Thank you for sharing, and inspiring.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rory, yours looks to have the heavier barrel, and NavyOgre's looks to be a tapered barrel. Is it just my eyes...???

Mike....

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, I think the stock finish is what you get when you use tru-oil and don't get it into the wood very well. frown Most of the figure is just shine from the finish and not the figure in the wood.

I've started stripping and expect it to be a fairly normal piece of wood when it's finished.

Mike, I think that's just an illusion from the picture.

Edit: Yep, it's an illusion. 20" featherweight barrel. I've got a 99C from same timeframe, and that barrel's a LOT heavier. grin

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/09/10.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm on the fence with this one. On the one hand, it already has excess holes in it and it is the gentleman's do with as he pleases (and it sounds like he knows what he's doing). On the other hand, it looks like it gained it's patina honestly- every scratch, dent and rub mark has a tale to tell if it could only talk. For that reason I would tend to leave it as-is and hunt hard with it. That's just me, I wouldn't find fault if went in either direction.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Considering the "repaired" damage to the stock behind the tang and by the buttplate, and the bubba work done on the rear d&t, I don't think anybody will care much if it gets a facelift. He can always keep the original stock, and I would suggest doing that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amen...!!! smile

Mike...

N
OP Offline
N
As I look for the proper replacement stock set, I will probably repair the existing stock. I learned how to do the military style graft a while back. Cut with the grain on the longer cut, and select something that matches fairly closely, and most folks never notice unless I point it out. If I go so far as repairing the toe and behind the tang, should I graft some smaller slices on to smooth the metal to wood transition? That repair would be virtually invisible. All the tapped scope holes will be filled with blind studs, leveled, smoothed in, and finished to match the receiver. All that will remain are four circles in a line.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would likee to see before and after pics. That's all way beyond my skills.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (16penny, 405winash, 35, Amos63, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 760 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,647
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.