Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
...actually know how to score deer? I was just watching Whitetail Country on Versus, and the "PH" says that the deer he shot would go 140". It was a pretty decent 8 pointer with probably a 18" spread with decent tines & mass. I was comparing that to an 8 ptr my buddy shot in WY this year and his scored 109. Now the guy on TV didnt give any standard as to what scoring system he was using, B&C, Buckmasters, etc., but I was assuming B&C. Then I was thinking about 2 big bucks my other buddies killed in IL this year & they went 140 & 155 and they blew the TV deer away, mass & point counts. I always thought to get an 8 pointer in the 140's you gotta put down a hell of a deer. Whaddya guys think?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't give much thought to score #. I enjoy hunting without the marketing crap and braging.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Wait until you see the brown bear Mike Rodgers shot on Expedition Safari hunting with Fejes. If it goes 7 feet, I'll eat it and he and the guide were talking about what a good bear it was. I'll give the guide some credit. At the end he said, "Well, it's a good start." Rodgers ought to be ashamed to show his face.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It's like Hollywierd and all staged after they down an animal. How can they shot a deer early morning and the final pics are after dark.They took all day to coryagraph(spelling ?) the hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another reason why I watch less than one TV hunting show a year.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know - I can't estimate scores either.

I do know when I see a big deer and when I see a small deer. I don't need anything else because I couldn't care less about the number attached to it's antlers.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal

I do know when I see a big deer and when I see a small deer. I don't need anything else because I couldn't care less about the number attached to it's antlers.
no antler stats?

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too many of these shows try to make a Hollow wood production out of hunting. Hollow wood and hunting haven't mixed well since the release of "The Deer Hunter".

And they probably never will again, either.

Hollow wood is about glitter. Hunting is a real life experience. Hunting is real. Everything about Hollow wood is fake. The two really don't mix well together. Hunting shows that are assembled more along the lines of a documentary come off a lot better. And too, the ones that are projected more along the lines of a tradition and the recording of an enjoyable outdoor experience, are much easier to sit through. My biggest beef with these shows, the good ones and the bad ones, is the same as most any other tv viewing, the over abundance of advertisments.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are hunting shows?

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southernutah
It's like Hollywierd and all staged after they down an animal. How can they shot a deer early morning and the final pics are after dark.They took all day to coryagraph(spelling ?) the hunt.

We tend to look at the issue from a hunters perspective. If you were a pro film maker/ cameraman, trying to film a hunt on a limited budget, you would have an entirely different view. In general, filming or photographing wildlife is far harder than hunting, so trying to do both means they need to stage certain things

Other than hunting from a blind, it is extremely difficult to film a hunt live/documentry style and end up with decent quality footage that is also entertaining.

So they stage it to a degree, often filming the same scene several times from several angles, perhaps under different light conditions until the yare happy with the result.

If they didn't do this, you would end up with You-Tube quality shows that nobody much would watch..

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just pick a number you like, but don't just settle in on a round number like 150, 130 180. Always pick a number like 152, 138, 179. If you really want to stop the naysayers in their tracks use 153 5/8, 137 1/2, or 181 1/4. Always take your picture from a distorted angle and have a guy in the picture with some kind of patch on his shirt sleeve shoulder (make sure the patch can't be read) to lend credibility to your claim. It's also important not to look too drunk, so sober up a little or at least kick the beer cans out of the picture. When you learn to do this correctly, scoring any deer is pretty easy as long as you stay within reason and don't start spouting numbers like 226 3/8 net.

If questioned by someone, claim that your brother knows the guy who watched the actual scoring process and he's been watching scorers for a long time, like since before the questioner was even born. Then dismiss the questioner by making a personal attack on his character based on his choice of avatar.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Alan
Your understanding of the scoring process is spot on, and your explanation of it clear and concise. Thank you for explaining it so well.
If you could be troubled to do so, could you please explain the method of measuring group sizes. It is similar to the scoring method you described, except in group size, the smaller the better.

Thanks for the chuckle!

Royce

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
there are only a couple i would hunt with. i dont think i could accomidate the others specific needs. Hard to "arrange a 400 yard, 360degree view 25 foot high blind with a floor hearter in front of 10 feeders.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
Just pick a number you like, but don't just settle in on a round number like 150, 130 180. Always pick a number like 152, 138, 179. If you really want to stop the naysayers in their tracks use 153 5/8, 137 1/2, or 181 1/4. Always take your picture from a distorted angle and have a guy in the picture with some kind of patch on his shirt sleeve shoulder (make sure the patch can't be read) to lend credibility to your claim. It's also important not to look too drunk, so sober up a little or at least kick the beer cans out of the picture. When you learn to do this correctly, scoring any deer is pretty easy as long as you stay within reason and don't start spouting numbers like 226 3/8 net.

If questioned by someone, claim that your brother knows the guy who watched the actual scoring process and he's been watching scorers for a long time, like since before the questioner was even born. Then dismiss the questioner by making a personal attack on his character based on his choice of avatar.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Naw that's hard to believe Alan.................do you think they would go so far as to doctor up the photo too? smirk

400 LB. BUCK SHOT IN MAINE

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think they guy knows that the buck went around 110 but just knows that most people do not have a clue. There is no truth in advertising.......and that is basically all that the hunting shows are, infomercials.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by teal

no antler stats?

I mean I know and appreciate and like a nice 8 point or 10 point but as far as "That's a 150 class buck" I can't really tell the difference between that and say a 155 class. Never looked at deer that way - wasn't ever part of the conversation.

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like scoring bucks, and it's one of my more favorite parts of hunting. After learning how to score bucks, I've laughed on the inside more than a few times when guys have showed me their "Booner" bucks. It's a humbling process for most, as deer are never as "huge" as they initially think they are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And TV bass fishermen catch the smallest "5 pound bass" I've ever seen too.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nemesis
Naw that's hard to believe Alan.................do you think they would go so far as to doctor up the photo too? smirk

400 LB. BUCK SHOT IN MAINE

That deer was actually killed here:

http://www.wildernesswhitetails.com/

A high-fence game farm in Wisconsin.

50 of that 400 lbs. was probably antler.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am no expert on judging antlers size as far as scoring is concerned, but on a couple of occasions I've seen deer that would qualify for "German Shepard of the Year Award" Yet they had a rack on them that any trophy hunter would be proud of and no they were not a german sherpard with a set of horns tied on them.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 22250rem, 160user, 48 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,153
Posts18,502,887
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.