Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Sure, they look nice but is there any advantage to them over a pistol grip? For my tastes, the pistol grip is more American Traditional. And I think it's a better handle.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are claimed to be quicker handling and by some to point better. Your opinion seems to mesh more with those of serious target shooters though.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
There is some thought out there that the 'straight' English stock makes it easier for the shooter to ever-so-slightly shift his hand forward so as to reach the forward trigger of a traditional double-triggered SxS.
The same thinking also would then negate the need for anything other than a pistol-grip on a single-triggered gun.
But straight stocks do look classic on the tweeded 'shootinist gen'man".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I feel the reason the straight grip is better for me is because the grip itself is much trimmer than a pistol grip, which fits my smaller hands better. I have 2 SxS's. One of each grip style and prefer the straight style. It supposedly puts both hands in the same plane for better handling, and it does work better for me.

It also makes using a double trigger equipped gun easier to use.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There are two sporting disciplines the Brits developed to a fine science by about 1900..

One is Flyfishing..

The other is shooting gamebirds with a shotgun..

Hence the straight grip on a side by side..

The reason why the Brits kept the stright grip on "game guns"
(shotguns meant to be pointed instinctively) is that the stright grip raises the trigger hend to the same level or verical plain of the forward lead hand along the barrel.

The hands tend to work quicker and in unison when operating in the same plane.
At least that is the theory and straight or a very shallow pistol grips work with splinter forends work very well. Especially the way the English prefer to shoot them with the lead hand along the BARRELS themselves..

And getting the trigger hand up to that level helps with gun mounting swing and follow through..At least according to English shotgunning theory..

Last edited by jim62; 01/10/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
There are a lot of people that believe that a "straight" grip lessens felt recoil, presumably by directing the force back in a (more or less) straight vector. I am one of those people.

Remember, our cousins across the pond have a fetish for very light shotguns. It's easy to forget that a 12 guage with standard load is a very powerful firearm.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
IMO, the reason for a straight grip on a game gun is that it forces more control of the gun to the forward hand. I have found this seems to work for me, whether one or two triggers. It handles better for me in the field, but for me this is secondary. On a darting bird requiring quick pointing, I believe it makes be quicker to target.

The straight grip is certainly compatible with double triggers, but the notion that it's required in order allow the shooter to move his/her hand to get to the other trigger is nonsense. I shoot one regularly, and find that I only move my finger. Try using a pistol grip gun with double triggers; I think you'll find you have no difficulty with it either.

I'm a great fan of the late Don Zutz, and take issue with him on only one thing - his theory of "hands in plane". It is likewise nonsense, IMO. On a gun equipped with a splinter fore arm, and straight grip, the hands are not in the same vertical plane, not even close (contrary to Zutz's theory) - the forward hand encircles the barrels. By this same theory, one should find the great Model 21 Winchesters, those configured with well shaped beavertail fore arms and straight grips, to be clunky and awkward (most consider them wands). Likewise, one should not be able to hit with a pistol grip and splinter fore arm (and that has been likewise debunked in practice).

It's also interesting, now that we're speaking of British heritage in game guns, that the hottest selling pieces in driven shooting are matched pairs of 20 ga. over/unders. This is logical also, as most driven birds present themselves predictably. The real irony, IMO, of the situation is that the classic game gun configuration better suits our hunting style and situations on this side of the pond - walk up shooting over dogs, much more dynamic target presentations.

Don't take all of this as do or die stuff; it isn't. My favorite game gun is a 16 ga. w/ straight grip, spinter fore arm, 29 inch barrels, weighs 6#12 oz. I love it. I think I shoot it slightly better in a clutch than a garden variety Beretta O/U 20 (w/ pistol grip and 26 1/2" barrels), but it's close to a toss up. Worry over something else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I can't answer the question concerning function, one over the other but, aesthetically, I really like the straight grip or even the Prince of Wales grip over pistol grips in a shotgun and can shoot as well as with a pistol grip gun. My three SxSs are all English grips.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've had a Browning Citori Super Light 12 gauge for 30 years and love it. It weighs about 6.5 pounds and is a delight to carry. It has the English straight grip that I find more comfortable than a pistol grip stock.

I understand that the straight grip was devised so the hand could shift fore and aft to adjust to double triggers. Besides it just looks trim and not clunky!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an 870 Special Field in 20g that I love, talk about a sweet little grouse gun.

Now if only I lived back up in Northern, MN again to put it to use

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have never owned a straight grip gun, but there's a Spanish sidelock in the used rack of my local shop that's tempting me to get some hands on experience! grin

Jeff

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have both a 1100 specail field and 1187 special field in 20 gauge with english stock. I am sure they serve no real purpose on a automatic shotgun but I do like the feel and look. I do seem to able to get on quail a little quicker with the straight stock than a pistol grip stock but this could be in my mind or due to the fact that both of them are lighter than my pistol grip 1100's. The english stock seems to either be you love them or hate them.
Dink

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's also my take on the straight grip--and splinter forend. They weigh less. Other than that there isn't much advantage to either.

I like straight grips but one of the side-by-sides I shot best was a Beretta 16-gauge with a straight grip and beavertail forend. This is kind of an odd combo but I shot it really well, perhaps because the forend DID put my forend hand in line with my rear hand. And maybe not.

As somebody already pointed out, having a straight grip so we can shoft our hand when shooting 2-trigger double is BS. For one thing, that's why the two triggers are in different positions, so we don't have to shift our hand. For another, I have owned a bunch of side-by-sides with pistol grips of various sorts, and it was just as easy to shoot those as it was the straight-gripped guns.

But the only way to get a 12-bore down to 6-3/4 pounds or less (the British game gun weight) is to slim down the wood, even with really light barrels.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The straight grip is also more comfortable to carry during those times that you are not shooting but walking behind the dogs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its more a fashion thing than anything else. Looks good to the eye for some, Back I tried to get a Parker Repo in 28 ga so stocked when they discontinued them, and well I missed out by a couple of hours. To this day I should have been quicker on that. Well I was never much of a shotgunner thou this past year I picked it up again. I like it. I am more into guns I can shoot, after all what is the point if you can hit stuff. The Vinci that I borrowed has been working real good for me by the way. Going to buy one as soon as my dealer friend gets more of them. Some times in April, the thinks.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
HUNTS,

Yes, that's also a principle that many hunters (and manufacturers) don't understand. It's much less tiring to hold something that's smaller in diameter for long peruiods of time. While straight grips aren't necessarily smaller in diameter than pistol grips, they usually are.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Gene L Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Given all these advantages, I guess my follow-up is why did AMerican and German shotguns have predominately pistol grip stocks?

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm guessing that in America it's primarily we're a nation of riflemen. The same is somewhat true of Germany, where a lot of shotguns are combination guns. But German doubles that are strictly shotguns often have very slim pistol grips, and some even have straight grips. My Merkel 47E, for instance, has a straight grip.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a straight gripped Beretta 470 12ga. I bought it because I liked the way it looked and it handled well. Got a great deal too.

It wouldn't surprise me if most that own them do so for the same basic reasons.......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 42 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,560
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.