Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
poz62 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. I have a 91 Jeep Wrangler and was just checking for anyones ideas on the best way for the driver to carry a rifle in a jeep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
dad just zip tied a regular gun rack for a pickup to the roll bars so they are behind the driver/passenger along the windows. uncle bought sanangelo's upright rack. but on floor board, barrel in the air attached to the dash. there are more, like some police suv's have. upright between or behind the seats. rugged company or maybee bigsky?

let me give you boys a lil' tip. you might wanna turn off that engine 'fore you go and change that there fan belt!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
just had an epiphany... windshield flipped down, rifle on a turret, attached to the hood, nothin' but fudd:)))

let me give you boys a lil' tip. you might wanna turn off that engine 'fore you go and change that there fan belt!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigrocks
just had an epiphany... windshield flipped down, rifle on a turret, attached to the hood, nothin' but fudd:)))

im trying to buy a CJ8 thats sitting in the back of the shop from the guy we are partners with at the paper.....i think aswell as being my second vehicle when the oldest gets the Cherokee this summer, the CJ8 will make a nice shooting platform for ground squirrels........no more leaning out the window of the truck grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
poz62 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
LOL I love that idea, Not sure how comfy it will be hunting in November. But an outstanding idea.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no way i would do it in November but for clearing the ground squirrels from my uncles road bed in April and May it would be sweet....had to learn how to shoot my 22 left handed so i could make more shots grin course there its getting rid of critters destroying the road so im expected to kill everyone i can by my uncle so rifle out the window is standard practice...

Last edited by rattler; 01/10/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
flight goggles may help to keep the eyes dry. like the ones in ww2. and the hat w/the ear flaps for warmth. but you MUST have the latest tactical digital camo. beleve me, I'M A PROFESIONAL:)

poz62 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Damn Rattler, I'd like to go hunting with you!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
ruggedgear.com

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Mine normally rides in the floorboard behind the front seats.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by poz62
Damn Rattler, I'd like to go hunting with you!

once i got my drivers license it was almost considered a chore in the spring to make atleast one trip out to my uncles every 10 days or so from the time the ground squirrels first came out until mid June when the grass started getting high enough things became difficult because of the damage they did to the mile and a half of road going into his place off the main dirt road.....ofcourse my lil brother usually tagged along.....

naturally we usually made every trip a contest.....i ran a handicap as i would use my old peep sighted bolt action 22 and he ran my scoped 10-22 most of the time....more often than not i would still win just cause at that time i was a much better shot even not running a scope.....had to learn how to shoot the gun left handed though being as i was the driver so i could take advantage of more shot oppertunities.....

however what really tended to piss my brother off is about the last few weeks of May the dirt rats would start getting real smart and recognize our truck and hold tight in their holes.....leaving mainly the top of their head as a target....however a squirrel sitting like that starts flopping a bit occasionally so i would start loosing confirmed kills cause they would flop far enough down the hole that i couldnt count them as a confirmed kill......so i upgraded weaponry to a Marlin guide gun in 45-70 with mild loaded 405 grain hard cast lead.....and i quit holding on flesh and just started holding on dirt grin course the only reason he thought it unfair is he didnt have one aswell grin

though even with mild loads i didnt touch that SOB off from inside the vehicle....i would get out first crazy grin

Last edited by rattler; 01/11/10.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Rattler, I guess that .45-70 would be like a "Bunker Buster" to those ground squirrels. Good Idea!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol the first shot i ever took with it at a dirt rat i hit lower than planned, the shot was uphill which is odd for most of the shooting we do...most of the area is pretty flat or the shots are down hill from the road......the 405 grain chunk of lead dug a lil foot long ditch infront of the gopher hole.....punched through 8 inches of soft dirt, through two inches of dirt rat, through another eight inches of the off side of the mound, dug another lil trench 3 feet long until it hit a chunk of sandstone and shattered that before stopping....Sam and i walked up the hill to look at my first kill with it and shook his head and said "That aint [bleep] fair.....i need to get me one of these" grin most shots since then due to the angles havent left as good of a visual at what those chunks of lead will do...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Tremendous. Never underestimate the ability of an American to come up with a new way of shooting critters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
its a result of boredom....by the end of May we will have prolly killed near a thousand of the damn things between my uncles place and a couple other shooting spots we have and due the way the country along the road is laid out most shots are under 100 yards.....so to make things interesting we haul all the centerfires along....have used a 223, SKS, SMLE, Moisin Nagant, Yugo 48 Mauser, single shot 410, 12 gauge, 270, 260, 30-06, 338-06, 44 mag in rifle and handgun....prolly more than a few others im forgetting...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am sure I would be doing the same thing. Maybe even mix in a .54 caliber Hawken.

poz62 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thx for the rugged gear site Big rocks

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
hope it helped!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by rattler
lol the first shot i ever took with it at a dirt rat i hit lower than planned, the shot was uphill which is odd for most of the shooting we do...most of the area is pretty flat or the shots are down hill from the road......the 405 grain chunk of lead dug a lil foot long ditch infront of the gopher hole.....punched through 8 inches of soft dirt, through two inches of dirt rat, through another eight inches of the off side of the mound, dug another lil trench 3 feet long until it hit a chunk of sandstone and shattered that before stopping....Sam and i walked up the hill to look at my first kill with it and shook his head and said "That aint [bleep] fair.....i need to get me one of these" grin most shots since then due to the angles havent left as good of a visual at what those chunks of lead will do...

now THAT'S friggin funny. buddy of mine was telling me about a coyote trip, his friend had a 50bmg... SPLAT! would have liket to see that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
keep in mind our topsoil on the prairie is powdery as hell when its dry and is in the grass(some areas turn to hard pan though) so even with mild loads that chunk of lead didnt hit any real resistance till it hit the sandstone....mainly left a crease that was easy to see....dont think it woulda done the same had the ground been wet or it burrowed in the ground more...

as for the 50BMG 'yote....to hell with pics i wanna see the video.....i live in the middle of nowhere and while my brother and i were a couple towns down the road looking for a new carhart jacket for him at one of the gun stores we spotted an Armalite AR50 single shot 50BMG.....think the guy behind the counter got a kick at us discussing its merits as a gopher rifle.....had it had a $1500 price tag instead of twice that we prolly woulda walked out of the store with it and found some jackrabbits to shoot on the way home grin at 5 foot long and damn near 40 pounds though i think offhand shots were a lil out of the question but we were willing to give'er a try...... grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (308xray, 7mm_Loco, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 69sportfury, 17 invisible), 17,151 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,879
Posts18,538,153
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.