Print Thread
Hop To
A
Aswaldo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Anyone running Golden Retrievers? Based upon the poorly bred misfits that my in-laws have had - I would refer to them as "Goldens" since they don't retrieve, at all - I was never a fan of the breed. But I'm also leery of labs given all the hot field trial stuff that has been bred into them - and I don't want a 90 pound dog, which is what I assume I'll be into for a lab without all that english field trial stuff.

But, my days of running pointing dogs are over, at least for now, but I want a dog I can hunt with a bit, one that will retrieve out of water, but will also be a content family dog with three small children in the house. I have begun to reconsider Golden Retrievers. My research has suggested that hunting golden stock does exist - it is health certified out the ying yang, including hips, heart, eyes, skin, etc - but geesh do they want a fortune for those puppies.

Anyone having any experience with Golden Retrievers that fit that description these days?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had Golden Retrievers for the last 30 years. I agree the back yard breeders have put out some bad genes. Still there are hunters out there. My main concern would be that both parents are hunters. But like any breed of dog you are taking a chance. A health certificate on the hips would be the main want. I have shot 9 species of upland birds over this last Golden. They live to please!
Hunting over a retriever when use to a pointer. That will take some adjusting.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You might try a Brittany Spaniel. They can find birds for you, retrieve quite well from water, are smaller, and generally love people including kids.

A
Aswaldo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
You might try a Brittany Spaniel. They can find birds for you, retrieve quite well from water, are smaller, and generally love people including kids.

I hunted behind some good Brits, but, I'm not a big fan of the breed. Plus, trying to stay away from dogs that were bred to run away from people and stay with the breeds that were bred to sit with people. Of course, that said, I did come across a Golden Retriever when hunting pheasants last year that apparently joined my group after we started moving and shooting birds. He was the biggest ranging retriever I ever say, had a collar and rabies tags, but no owner in sight!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When our last Golden (third) died at 13 three years ago, I had a helluva time finding a HUNTING Golden breeder. Everyone seemed to be pumping out these white English style show dogs.

After a lot of looking I found a breeder that ONLY breeds hunting and field trial Goldens. I told them this time we wanted a bitch (our first), regulation size (most Goldens are way over breed standards), independent and a huntress. Well we got her! She is smart, independent, a natural hunter, loves people and most other dogs (except yip-yaps).

http://www.huntersgoldstrike.com/

Great ! GREAT people, reasonable prices and fully tested for all issues with a replacement guarantee!

Here is Brandy @ 18 months (she is now 26 months) ready to get into some action and she and I out looking for the VERY elusive Sage grouse when she was just a pup.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

A
Aswaldo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by oldman1942
When our last Golden (third) died at 13 three years ago, I had a helluva time finding a HUNTING Golden breeder. Everyone seemed to be pumping out these white English style show dogs.

After a lot of looking I found a breeder that ONLY breeds hunting and field trial Goldens. I told them this time we wanted a bitch (our first), regulation size (most Goldens are way over breed standards), independent and a huntress. Well we got her! She is smart, independent, a natural hunter, loves people and most other dogs (except yip-yaps).

http://www.huntersgoldstrike.com/

Great ! GREAT people, reasonable prices and fully tested for all issues with a replacement guarantee!

Here is Brandy @ 18 months (she is now 26 months) ready to get into some action and she and I out looking for the VERY elusive Sage grouse when she was just a pup.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great pictures, and I appreciate the insight. I had found your breeder online - there is an outfit out of Lovell, Wyoming, Sungold Kennels, that appears to be breeding good hunting retrievers. I balked a bit at the price of their puppies - $1700! - but it appears they are doing it right and what little I could glean they are showing up in a lot of hunting pedigrees, including Hunters Gold Strike, and so was interested in their puppies and breeding program. Your endorsement helps my search immensely. Thanks!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How is that Golden pictured above? She looks like she has less feathering/hair than most I've seen.

Does she like to use her nose on birds, or just run around and bump them?

How big do you anticipate she will be at full grown?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about this? From field trial stock. She adores hunting and retrieving. She's about 55 lbs, trim and full of energy. Recently she learned how to deal with cripples on the water, and cripplies UNDER the water.

But let me tell you - a dog like this needs to be exhausted on a regular basis, and challenged with things to do and learn.

[Linked Image]

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
A
Aswaldo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by grouseman
How about this? From field trial stock. She adores hunting and retrieving. She's about 55 lbs, trim and full of energy. Recently she learned how to deal with cripples on the water, and cripplies UNDER the water.

But let me tell you - a dog like this needs to be exhausted on a regular basis, and challenged with things to do and learn.

[Linked Image]

That is nice looking and nicely sized bitch, Grouseman. How is her retrieving drive?

How do you think she would do as a "family" dog? I just don't have the regular access to game birds to justify a full time bird dog (hence no more pointers), but there are mountain grouse and chukkars right around, and a lot of waterfowl. In addition, kids and running/hiking/camping are on the agenda. I enjoy dog training, as well, but my years of hunting everything weekend, and training on birds/hunt tests/ field trials in the off-season just don't fit into my current lifestyle. I would expect any game dog to be a hotwire the first couple of years, but less so with a Golden than other breeds . . .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She's a good family dog, with one issue. FOOD. She is CONSTANTLY on the prowl for people food, whether it be on the edge of the counter or in a kid's hand or on a plate on the coffee table. She has been 'corrected' numerous times, quite memorably you would think, and yet it's still there. If something gets droppped she pounces on it with all sorts of fierce territoriality. We're working on it.

Retrieving drive is great. She loves to play fetch with anything, loves swimming, and can run for hours in a field for grouse.

A field trial Golden is not like the run-of-the-mill Goldens you see in the suburbs. Like the difference between a sports car and a minivan. She needs discipline and obedience training, field work, and mental challenges (like learning new tricks). And sometimes a dose of the shock collar.

But after all that, she is a very loving dog who enjoys being with people. She just about wags herself out of her skin when I come home or when I bring up a gun case!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DD, she was still a pup in that picture. Goldens vary from almost flatcoated (as was her Mom) to very curley, feathered out dogs (as was her Dad) She has feathered out now.(you can pick her up by her butt feathers). She now weighs 60 pounds which is what we wanted. She hunts as a Golden should, (in open country) about 20-30 yards out, casting left to right in front of you about 20-30 yards on each side just like she is on a pattern. That is in the genes of a good dog. Once in a while she'll get out a bit too far but a single toot on my whistle brings her right back in. They are a flushing dog, so she will get "birdy" when on a bird but does not point but moves right in and flushes. A big advantage with Sage Grouse which can run like a rabbit.
When ruffed/blue grouse hunting she stays in close, frequently turning to keep me in sight and orient herself to be in the right place.
A "natural" hunter and a great "people dog"...everybody loves Brandy. Here she is hard at work on "her couch".

The folks in Colorado dogs are IMO VERY reasonably priced considering the quality.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How do Goldens compare to Labs in their 'instinct' for hunting upland birds? Do they know how to cast better than a Lab?

I have a Brittany who took no training to know how to cast and scent and even hold birds, along with water retrieves and underwater cripples. I've never been around a really well-done Lab but have seen countless dumb ones.

Maybe my Brittany is a bit lazy or just a people-lover more than some field trial bred dogs, but she isn't high-strung and loves kids and couches.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
oldman, your dog in that picture could pass for mine . . . that's uncanny.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grin, I think Goldens have a "couch" gene. (along with the "truck front seat" and "I own the WHOLE bed" genes)

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I had one for twelve years. Awesome dog. She had to train herself since I was fourteen and really stupid when I got her. I have learned a lot since then and I would love to have an opportunity to have her again since I feel like I know what I am doing now. I love Goldens but I have since really gotten to love Boykin Spaniels. A good dog of either breed would serve about any hunter very well!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Aswaldo
But I'm also leery of labs given all the hot field trial stuff that has been bred into them - and I don't want a 90 pound dog, which is what I assume I'll be into for a lab without all that english field trial stuff.

You need to do some more research, a lot more research.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,150
Posts18,484,227
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.