Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mira Pancho tortillas
laugh

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
M
M
i went on a deer hunt in 97 i was a senior in high school and the guide dropped us off and said you may see pepole trying to sneak across the border line. dont bother them he said but if they aproach you or eat the corn shoot them.lol
my opinion is feeding corn is going to do nothing but help animals nutrition...were i live there arent corn fields for hours. so i feed it. and they love it..
YOUR NOT GOING SO SEE A BIG BUCK PRANCING OUT AND EATING CORN BUT GAURANTEE HE WILL BE CLOSE TO THE DOES THAT ARE. I FIND IT HELPS KEEP DEER IN THE AREA AND IF YOU DONT FEED AND THE NEIGHBORING PROPERTIES DO THEN GUESS WERE THE DEER WILL BE.

M
M
I ALMOST FORGOT.....I HUNT A TWENTY ACRE ALFALFA FIELD THERE IS A TEN ACRE PATCH OF WOODS NEAR IT..I BAITED ALL THIS YEAR AND HAD A CAMERA ON IT..SEPTEMBER WAS LOADED WITH BUCK PICTURES,,AFTER THE FIRST OF NOVEMBER THERE WAS A BIG DECLINE IN BUCK PICTURES..THIS WHOLE LAST MONTH NOW I HAVE BEEN FEEDING AND ONLY HAVE ONE DOE ON CAMERA....I THINK THE DEER ARE MORE INTERESTED IN THE ALFALFA THAT WE HAVE PLANTED THEY WALK PAST CORN WE PUT OUT IN THE FIELD , THEY ARE THERE ALMOST EVERY NITE,,,AND WE HAVE TAKEN 3 OVER 120" THIS YEAR OUT OF THAT FIELD(SAME STAND).....SO CORN WILL WORK BUT GO FOR THE ALFALFA OF MILO ETC.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I hunt with bait and have both experiences. Depends on the area and the amount of pressure the deer are getting. Most of the pictures I get of mature bucks at feeders or corn is at nite. I believe everyone will agree. If the area is open and you can see a bunch of it, I don't think it matters. That buck will be hanging nearby watching and scent checking the area for does. He'll slip in and near. Sooner or later you'll get a opportunity when he exposes himself near the baited or the food plot. I have an area where there is 3500 continuous acres of land and the people who hunt it baits. We have very large deer come to food plots and feed areas. On our 1100 acre area, we took only 2 bucks this year and 7-10 does. Several of our 5 members didn't get a chance to hunt very much. We have very little pressure on our property and I believe these deer are conditioned based on the pressure they get while traveling from place to place. Our deer have big sanctuary areas in the internal areas of the property where they are not bumped much. We hunt the outer areas and my bait areas are on trails leading from one foodplot to another or in a saddle/pinch point. I can see up to 300 yards in three different areas from my stand. You may not always get a shot but those bucks are slipping thru as they cruise from one area to another shadowing the movement of the does. My biggest bucks were seen in daylight at feed areas during the search phase of the rut. They came looking for does. If I would have been there I would have harvested those deer over corn. In short, I experience it both ways because of the way my location is set-up and the way its hunted.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Most of the hunters in my lease use daylite and dusk feeders or the timer type feeders and they have a ton of 1: am pictures of big bucks photos.

I use homemade bump feeders and the deer still feed during the major and minor feed times. If that falls during shooting hours I see them.

Now that being said, I can't say if its because the feed is there when they want it or if it's because the does are feeding so the bucks follow.

Hoot

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
T
tmc0304 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Here is a picture from last night. (I forgot to change the date and time on the cam when I changed the batteries). Our late gun season starts tomorrow. Boy, I'd like to catch this dude during the day.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,548
Posts18,510,226
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.