Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have had 2 CJ-5's in the past and now have a hankering for another one.

Anyone else a fan of these jeeps? Anybody still own one?

I am looking to find the right one to buy, would love to find the old half cab version, those tops are really hard to come by now.

JM

GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
It's been a long time since I owned one, I had a 1966 CJ-5 with a Chevy 350 in it until a semi stalled in front of me and rolled back into the front end of it. I replaced that one with a 1975 CJ-5 with a 304 V8 in it. They were always a lot of fun in the summer, but not so much fun in with a soft top during a cold Nebraska winter.

I wouldn't mind having another one, I would have to get rid of some of my other toys first.

grin

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had an '82 CJ-7.........fantastic off road vehicle.

Been kinda toying with the idea of a new Rubicon.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I have had 2 CJ-5's in the past and now have a hankering for another one.

Anyone else a fan of these jeeps? Anybody still own one?

I am looking to find the right one to buy, would love to find the old half cab version, those tops are really hard to come by now.

JM

What do you want it for? A fun off roader or a hunting vehicle?

Given the species you guys hunt over there, I think I'd want something with a longer load bed for hunting....

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The CJ-5's are awesome hill climbers Pete. grin

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ne,

That's why I would like the old half cab hard top if I could find one. Even a winter down here is kinda tough with a rag top.

The older CJ's were really good at getting in and out of bad places. I had one with a stock 304 and the last one had a Chevy 327 in it.

Wish I had either one back now.

JM

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Back in about 75 they were all the rage wiyh my buddies.
One friend had an ok 72 with the six banger, another 2 cruising buddies the 304.
I remember both V-8 jeeps ended up with broken frames and on serious side hills they twisted so much the clutch wouldn't engage. Another thing...........transfer cases always popping into neatral at very bad times. My old 3/4 GMC spent a lotta time towing those crappy CJ-5's around........
I always did like the late 60's models with the factory Buick V-6 though.

They were a lot of fun though and definately chick magnets.

Last edited by tangozulu; 01/13/10.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I never did any rock climbing with one. I know they were excellent in swamps and muddy hills.

My Dad had one and we had to shuttle folks into the camp when it was wet, nothing else could get in and out except a couple of old Ford Broncos, I like them as well.

My main gripe with the cj's was the drum brakes on them.

JM

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes John, I still have my 1978 CJ-7 that I purchased new in MEM at the long defunct Holiday Motors. It still runs well, even though it's on its second engine, but it does need new brakes and spring bushings. I'm waiting for warmer weather in order to address those issues. It's no longer stock though, as I've modified the suspension and drive train, and "helped" the 258 with some enhancements.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have you got any pics Mike? Would love to see it. I would definitely consider one with the 6 cylinder, you can get alot out of those motors with aftermarket parts.

JM.

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
We had a 78 Ford Bronco for hunting vehicle for quite while too, that thing would go about anywhere too. grin

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am running a 53 M38a1 the father of the cj5. Fhead 4 and a Warn over drive. Goes pretty much any where. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I can get the pics, but I have no clue as to how to post them. It's sitting in my shop right now needing a wash. It has some rust on it in the usual spots for CJ's, i.e. front fenders and bottom windshield frame, but the body tub is solid, as is the hood and grille. It has factory front disc brakes and drum rear, both of which need work. I'm probably going to replace the entire brake system from master cylinder, lines, proportioning valve, cylinders, rotors and drums this spring. It takes a few pumps before the brake pedal stiffens up, which sounds like the master cylinder to me. I don't drive on the roads with it, and won't until I address this.

I have modified the DT and suspension. The DT now has a Borg Warner T-18 4 speed, Dana 20 transfer case, and Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear axle housings, with 4.56 final drive and a Tru Trac front posi and a Detroit Locker rear. I need to replace the keyed AMC axle with a Moser one piece, but have delayed doing that.

The suspension has been lifted 3" and I'm running 10.5x33 BFG Mud Terrains. I added a Saginaw power steering pump to make it easier to handle rough terrain. I actually set all of this up in the late '80s when I was based in LeMoore CA. We used to go into the Sierras almost every weekend in the spring, summer and fall and do a trail up to the lakes and camp and fish.

The motor is an AMC 258 that has been bored .030 over, balanced and printed. It has a Crane RV cam, Holley 390 CFM 4 bbl carb, and Clifford Research headers and intake. It's a pretty stout motor, and very torquey.

I've had it since new, and probably won't ever sell it. I highly recommend a CJ-7 over a 5, if only for increased comfort. I'm 6'4" and could not fit into a CJ-5 when I went to buy one back in the day. The CJ-7 is 10" longer, and is more mannerly in highway driving because of the increased wheelbase. Anything from 1977 to 1982 is good, and after '82 they widened the axles, which IMO decreased the "trailability", but that's just my opinion.

Good luck on finding one, as I'm sure that their are plenty out there, but in varying stages of repair. They are really good trail vehicles, and fun to boot.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
S
S
I have a 81 CJ 5 that has asked to go to a new home, since I have not taken it hunting for several years. 6 cly. 4 speed. shows slightly over 50,000 miles. I have had it for 6 year and used it on a hunting lease. Not inspected at this time. One small rust spot a coulpe ripples on hood. Not top. Located in the Houston area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mike,

I'd be interested in seeing your Jeep as well...If you email me the pics, I'd be happy to host them and post them in here for everyone to see..

Regards,

Peter

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A friend is looking to sell this one.

It has been restored and even has a power take off for belts like the old tractors did.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bcolorado; 01/13/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like a CJ-3 from here. Looks good, too. How much is he wanting for it? Original engine or what?

Last edited by Bigbuck215; 01/13/10.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The 5's do wander on the road more than the 7's and the hump in the back of the door makes it a little harder to get in and out of.

I have just always liked the short 5. In the picks you can see the hump in the door on the 5 vs. the 7 and the wheelbase difference.

CJ5
[Linked Image]

CJ7
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That's a CJ-3B.

"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcolorado
A friend is looking to sell this one.

It has been restored and even has a power take off for belts like the old tractors did.

[Linked Image]

Very nice, I believe that is a Kaiser or Willy's, can't really tell with the hood up.

Very cool jeep.

JM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 47 invisible), 1,766 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,036
Posts18,520,993
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.