Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 33 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 32 33
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NeBassman
It wouldn't be the ten commandment if you only posted half of them. grin

laugh

True that, but I still think that the 10 Commandments are sound and a good basis for secular law, and I can't see quite why JO is threatened by that 'code?'

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
The schools are another prime example.

Kids have no choice but to be there (most of them, anyway). They are being taught by government employees. ANY favoring of ANY religion is just plain going to seem, to the kids, as if the State itself is favoring or even pressing them towards that religion.

No in lieu of religion, you'd rather have grammar school kids be taught that having trans-gender surgery or being an outright homosexual is normal behavior.................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 340boy

laugh

True that, but I still think that the 10 Commandments are sound and a good basis for secular law, and I can't see quite why JO is threatened by that 'code?'

Tim... seriously... you can't see a problem with posting "commandments" in a place of government authority that include stuff about how you can't have other gods, or make images, or whatever?

I mean I have no problem with the stealin' and killin' part but we don't need them for THAT.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It's quite clear to me, it means no laws should be made "respecting an establishment of religion", this has nothing to do with mandate about going to church, it is much broader and more encompassing than that.

Our founding fathers had a healthy fear of the Puritans taking over the government and forcing their views through legislation on everyone else.
No. The fear was that the State would create a church as the British Crown had done in the case of the Church of England.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's me, standing there watching Nemesis trying to have a "debate". wink

I'm not trying to debate you................you [bleep] piece of schit!

There's nothing to debate here.

You are a low life, immoral, sacrilegious, baby killing, Obama voting son-of-a-bitch and as far as I'm concerned that's indisputable........................

Oh........and you're stupid too!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nemesis
Here's me, standing there watching Nemesis trying to have a "debate". wink

I'm not trying to debate you................you [bleep] piece of schit!

There's nothing to debate here.

You are a low life, immoral, sacrilegious, baby killing, Obama voting son-of-a-bitch and as far as I'm concerned that's indisputable........................

Oh........and you're stupid too!

Bwa ha ha.

Keep humping, rodent-boy. wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
340boy - not all of the ten commandets are a sound basis for secular law. grin

Someone sent this to me a few weeks ago. This might be a good place to share it.

Letter from Jesus about Christmas --

It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking My name out of the season. How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be
most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children of your own. I don't care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate My birth, just GET ALONG AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

Now, having said that let Me go on. If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting My birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santas and snowmen and put in a small Nativity scene on your own front lawn. If all My followers did that, there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square because there would be many of them all around town.

Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. It was I who made all trees. You can remember Me anytime you see any tree. Decorate a grape vine if you wish: I actually spoke of that one in a teaching, explaining who I am in relation to you and what each of our tasks were. If you have forgotten that one, look up John 15: 1 - 8.

If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth here is my wish list. Choose something from it:

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of writing the President complaining about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then follow up... It will be nice hearing from you again.

4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

5 Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.

6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile; it could make the difference.

7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas" ,that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families.

8. If you really want to make a difference, support a ministry, especially one who takes My love and Good News to those who have never heard My name.

9. Here's a good one. There are individuals and whole families in your town who, not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them, buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Salvation Army or some other charity that believes in Me and they will make the delivery for you.

10. Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in My presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

Don't forget; I am God and can take care of Myself. Just love Me and do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Check out the list above and get to work; time is short. I'll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember :

I LOVE YOU,

JESUS

With God, anything is possible.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure in Nemesis's America, any kind of religious dissent would be strictly verboten.

Nemesis, you are un-American.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
340boy - not all of the ten commandets are a sound basis for secular law. grin

Someone sent this to me a few weeks ago. This might be a good place to share it.

Letter from Jesus about Christmas --

It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking My name out of the season. How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be
most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children of your own. I don't care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate My birth, just GET ALONG AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

Now, having said that let Me go on. If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting My birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santas and snowmen and put in a small Nativity scene on your own front lawn. If all My followers did that, there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square because there would be many of them all around town.

Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. It was I who made all trees. You can remember Me anytime you see any tree. Decorate a grape vine if you wish: I actually spoke of that one in a teaching, explaining who I am in relation to you and what each of our tasks were. If you have forgotten that one, look up John 15: 1 - 8.

If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth here is my wish list. Choose something from it:

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of writing the President complaining about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then follow up... It will be nice hearing from you again.

4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

5 Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.

6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile; it could make the difference.

7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas" ,that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families.

8. If you really want to make a difference, support a ministry, especially one who takes My love and Good News to those who have never heard My name.

9. Here's a good one. There are individuals and whole families in your town who, not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them, buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Salvation Army or some other charity that believes in Me and they will make the delivery for you.

10. Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in My presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

Don't forget; I am God and can take care of Myself. Just love Me and do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Check out the list above and get to work; time is short. I'll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember :

I LOVE YOU,

JESUS

With God, anything is possible.

laugh
Bassman, good stuff there, I must admit.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

laugh

Tim... seriously... you can't see a problem with posting "commandments" in a place of government authority that include stuff about how you can't have other gods, or make images, or whatever?

I mean I have no problem with the stealin' and killin' part but we don't need them for THAT.

No, I don't see the problem, Jeff.
I think that just because the Commandments are posted at say, a courthouse, doesn't mean that the state of Oregon is going to 'make' JO become a Christian or penalize you for being an agnostic, atheist, Buddhist, whatever.
laugh

Again, I will ask, why does having any semblance of Christianity in our government threaten you?

James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't agree Tim.

Let's put it this way. Suppose I was in that court, trying to argue for a proper seperation of church and state in the school system! See? Why would I even bother, when the State has made it so clear what side it's on?

The State isn't supposed to be on a side.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
So......you and Liar24/7 are both lawyers? <g> wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree that the state should be impartial.

On the rest, well, you will just have to be content with being wrong..
laugh laugh

wink

James Elroy Flecker

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I agree that the state should be impartial.

I could live with that! I am not sure others could. wink

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The schools are another prime example.

Kids have no choice but to be there (most of them, anyway). They are being taught by government employees. ANY favoring of ANY religion is just plain going to seem, to the kids, as if the State itself is favoring or even pressing them towards that religion.

This is all fine and dandy for you Christians since you are basically in charge of the damn country, but try for a moment to visualize your FURY if your kid came home every day from school, having been compelled to (say) pledge allegiance to a flag under Allah.

Exactly. I feel that way about the religions of global warming and environmentalism.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No, I don't see the problem, Jeff.
I think that just because the Commandments are posted at say, a courthouse, doesn't mean that the state of Oregon is going to 'make' JO become a Christian or penalize you for being an agnostic, atheist, Buddhist, whatever.
laugh

Again, I will ask, why does having any semblance of Christianity in our government threaten you?

Because and especially in this day of diversity, we should have the Witch's Rede, the Code of Buddha, Code of Islam, and every other religious code out there. That's impractical so there should be no code.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tim,
In your view, are the religious codes of Islam,Buddhism,Hinu, etc. that different from the Christian's 10 commandments?
(Honest question, as I have no idea, myself)

James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread has strayed so far from its original topic,but I'll try to set the record straight.Some who attempt to make the case that religion,especially Christainity,has no place in our government possess no direct knowledge of our Founding Fathers and their intentions as it applied to our first amendment.Quotes from these great men speak volumes about their beliefs and the role that religion and especially Christianity played in their lives,the founding of our nation and the creation of our constitutuion.

John Adams:
"The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity� I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.July 4th ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.�

"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world. It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen."

Samuel Adams:
� He who made all men hath made the truths necessary to human happiness obvious to all� Our forefathers opened the Bible to all.�
� Let divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots, unite their endeavors to renovate the age by impressing the minds of men with the importance of educating their little boys and girls, inculcating in the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity� and leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system.�

John Quincy Adams:
� �Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the world, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day [the Fourth of July]?" �Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity"?

�The Law given from Sinai [The Ten Commandments] was a civil and municipal as well as a moral and religious code.�

Benjamin Franklin:
� God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel�

�In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered� do we imagine we no longer need His assistance?� [

In Benjamin Franklin's 1749 plan of education for public schools in Pennsylvania, he insisted that schools teach "the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern."

In 1787 when Franklin helped found Benjamin Franklin University, it was dedicated as "a nursery of religion and learning, built on Christ, the Cornerstone."

Alexander Hamilton:
Hamilton began work with the Rev. James Bayard to form the Christian Constitutional Society to help spread over the world the two things which Hamilton said made America great:
(1) Christianity
(2) A Constitution formed under Christianity.
�The Christian Constitutional Society, its object is first: The support of the Christian religion. Second: The support of the United States.�

On July 12, 1804 at his death, Hamilton said, �I have a tender reliance on the mercy of the Almighty, through the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a sinner. I look to Him for mercy; pray for me.�
"I have carefully examined the evidences of the Christian religion, and if I was sitting as a juror upon its authenticity I would unhesitatingly give my verdict in its favor. I can prove its truth as clearly as any proposition ever submitted to the mind of man."

John Hancock:
�In circumstances as dark as these, it becomes us, as Men and Christians, to reflect that whilst every prudent measure should be taken to ward off the impending judgments, �at the same time all confidence must be withheld from the means we use; and reposed only on that God rules in the armies of Heaven, and without His whole blessing, the best human counsels are but foolishness� Resolved; to humble themselves before God under the heavy judgments felt and feared, to confess the sins that have deserved them, to implore the Forgiveness of all our transgressions, and a spirit of repentance and reformation �and a Blessing on the � Union of the American Colonies in Defense of their Rights [for which hitherto we desire to thank Almighty God]�That the people of Great Britain and their rulers may have their eyes opened to discern the things that shall make for the peace of the nation�for the redress of America�s many grievances, the restoration of all her invaded liberties, and their security to the latest generations.

Patrick Henry:
This is all the inheritance I can give my dear family. The religion of Christ can give them one which will make them rich indeed.�
�The Last Will and Testament of Patrick Henry

�It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."

�The Bible is worth all other books which have ever been printed.�

Thomas Jefferson:
"The doctrines of Jesus are simple, and tend to all the happiness of man.�

�Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.�

"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."

�God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.�

I have hundreds of more quotes from our Founding Fathers but I suspect they won't be read.Responses from some members to my past posts have indicated they don't read or comprehend what I've stated,but such is the internet.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I prefer quotes directly from the Constitution, it IS what the founding fathers signed off on to govern this country. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Our founding fathers had a healthy fear of the Puritans taking over the government and forcing their views through legislation on everyone else.

It's abundantly clear,by your statement,that you have a profound misunderstanding of the first amendment,so why would I quote this amendment again.

We certainly wouldn't want to clarify the first amendment by quoting the founding fathers beliefs and the role these tenets played in writing our constitution. wink

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
Page 18 of 33 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 35 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,213
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.