Hop To
H
Hoz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a nice reasonable elk hunt to take my father on before he is too old. Has anyone had any luck with a guided/semi guided hunt that was reasonably priced. Thanks for the info!

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess it kinda depends on your expectations and what you consider to be 'reasonably priced'. But, yes, many semi-guided or even bare-bone drop camps can be successful. I'd highly advise you to do some research in regards to herd numbers, wolves, general success rates and so on.

Good luck in your quest.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching. -Bill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know what "reasonable" means. Does that refer to difficult, trophy potential or physical effort or success rate?
There are numerous ranches in Colorado that offer hunts where you are essentially road hunting wild animals on private land. Don't expect much for trophy potential unless you're really ponying up some cash. I wouldn't recommend a horseback hunt if you're worried about your father's physical abilities and the price of the hunt. To some degree, those ranch hunts are missing a lot of what people enjoy about elk hunting, so be realistic in what you are after. You miss out on the scenery and sense of adventure and feeling some of us get out of penetrating wild places.
Another option for those with physical limitations are the high fence hunts. I'm even less of a fan of those, but that may or may not fit better with your expectations.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

H
Hoz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am sorry, I should have been a little more specific. I would just like to take him someplace to see some elk. The most important thing to me is that we will be together. He is older, but can get arround pretty well. If we get a crack at a bull, that would be a bonus. I was hoping to find a hunt for under 3,000 apiece. Again, we don't need a trophy, just a pleasurable experience. Thanks guys.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by exbiologist
To some degree, those ranch hunts are missing a lot of what people enjoy about elk hunting, so be realistic in what you are after. You miss out on the scenery and sense of adventure and feeling some of us get out of penetrating wild places.

+1!!!!!

IC B2

M
M
Hoz

Shoot me a pm and I will let you know what I can do for you.
Not a trophy area we do have a good population.

mountaincook1gmail.com

Thanks

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
if you are ok shooting cows, put in for wyoming unit 31. it will be a blast. very easy hunt and you will see a ton of bulls which you wouldnt be able to shoot but are always fun to look at. lots of big bucks and and antelope too. easy open country. you wouldnt need a guide, almost every elk i saw was taken out whole.

Last edited by orion23; 01/19/10.

T.Brown
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
how hard is it to draw for the unit 31 of which you speak? a couple of buddies and i have been looking for a nice cow (meat) hunt and this sounds like it could fit the bill. any links to where i could get some more info on this unit?

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Almost impossible without 4 pref points, even then, about 20% if last year's odds were any indication. And your odds in the random draw are about 1%

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh wait, that was for a bull. Sorry, I don't have the cow odds handy. But here you go:
http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/stats/demandpdf/index.asp

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 34 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,438
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.