Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3688144 01/17/10
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff or a designer name on someone else's gear?

Kicking around the idea of a Battenkill Large Arbor for my new Sage - that and the Lamson Konic.

Was curious as to the expert's opinion.

Me

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The B-Kill is a very good reel for the price. I'd also look at Scientific Anglers System 2.

A lot of orvis stuff is overpriced, particularly their clothing and luggage. Not nearly worth the price.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, I have no interest in anything from them other than fishing gear.

Am currently thimking the Konic cuz of prrice...

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have 3 Orvis rods, 3 Orvis reels, 7 Sage rods and 5 of their reels. I don't think one is gaining much by paying the Orvis price.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Their rods and reels are made well and they stand behind their products very well!
Check out their web site for some good sales occasionally and also to see if any warehouse sales are coming to your area in the future .... this is where you can get some GREAT bargains.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Whats the difference between the Large Arbor IV and the Large Arbor VI (other than 60 bucks?)

Me

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Line weights and actual size ...

LA IV Fly Reel: (6.9 oz, 4" diameter, for line weights 7-9)

LA V Fly Reel: (8.3 oz, 4�" diameter, for line weights 9-11)

LA VI Fly Reel: (9 oz, 4�" diameter, for line weights 11-13)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I been fishing an Orvis Limestone rod for close to thirty years now. When I fish a 6 wt line that is the one I go to. But I also fish Sage and Scott rods too. The reels are ok, I mostly fish Hardy and Able. In the early 1960's when I started fly fishing, Orvis was pretty much where you when to buy quality fly Fishing Gear and Flies. Now its a lot different. Lots of good quality stuff to be had, and you don't have to go mail order either. Lots of fly Shops around. I remember going into Dan Bailey's in Livingston MT for the first time, thought I died and was in heaven. That was in 1968.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Orvis has a factory store in Kittery, Maine. They usually have stacks of returned Battenkill reels. I got one the drag never really worked in. I got to buying Ross reels and I really like them. Even their starter reels are nice. They've got the same drag system as a system 2 at 1/3 the price.

They have a "flystart" reel for $60 that's $30 at Cabelas on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...Type=index&indexId=cat20473&rid=

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never really found an Orvis rod that fished how I wanted it too, which isn't a commentary on quality mind you. I fish SCOTT rods and will forever I guess. Reeals, why mess with an Orvis when Lamson, Galvin, Ross and Baur make such fantastic reels? When you buy Sage and Orvis your overpaying for a name, not much real value there anymore, if there ever was.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's easy to bash Orvis, but I'd hate to see them go under. I think their problem is that they try to do too many things without focusing on their core strengths. I happen to like their clothing and I think most of that stuff is pretty high quality. Certain things they sell have a good rep and their customer service is completely outstanding. A lot of people like their waders, and some of their trout rods and reels have been good. The little CFO trout reel was very nice, and made by Hardy.

On the other hand, I would not use their saltwater reels or rods. I've personally seen too many fall apart. In this day and age, for a reel to fall apart is completely unacceptable. There are so many other better choices than the LA Battenkill that I probably would look elsewhere. For the same money you just buy a Ross and be done with it. There's a German company called Voesller that also makes great reels. I am not a wild Ross fan but they are US made and last a long long time and just about everyone likes them. I don't dislike them, I just prefer to use Tibor or Henschel reels.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have YET come across anyone that comes close to Orvis' customer sevice!

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I hear you - but on the other hand, I'd rather not have to use the customer service.

Am holding off on a reel purchase till I know for sure what's what.

Me

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
About 12 - 14 years ago I bought an Orvis Battenkill reel and several spare spools for my 6wt rod - that danged reel and all four of the spools are still going great! I've replaced the lines on all of them, some several times. Have fished it in salt, used it on fish as large and tough as steelhead, carp and good sized bass as well as some great trout up in BC.

That reel just keeps on performing!

Got a Ross reel for my 8wt steelhead & salmon rod, and was going to get another for my 6wt when the Orvis wore out. It won't quit, so I haven't bought the smaller Ross yet...

Got an Orivs Large Arbor reel for my son's steelhead & salmon 8wt rod too - it works fine, but I do prefer the good old Ross instead of the large arbor - just a personal preference I'd guess.

Never tried any of their rods. Pretty much stick to St. Croix & Sage, although there are a couple of others floating around here as well.

Regards, Guy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My favorite fleece jacket of all times is the Orvis Windproof Fleece Jacket, SI58GK. I bought mine at the Orvis store in Faneuil Hall Marketplace in Boston for $140, maybe a little pricy, but $$ well spent.

Jeff

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I fish only in saltwater and the earlier saltwater Orvis fly reels I thought were Ok at best, their drag systems were not the smoothest. Orvis reels seem to be getting much better though with the last couple of models.

I just bought one of the new Mirage reels for an 8-wt. I will see how it works out this season, the reel is very light and impressive in the hand.

Dino

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Orvis is to fishing as Cabela's is to outdoors. Neither makes a single item. Orvis is a marketing name that has all of it's products produced by other manufacturers.

I've always viewed Orvis rods as middle of the road. They have some decent rods, but they are not in the class of Winston, Sage, Loomis, or perhaps the best rod made...Tom Morgan Rodsmiths. http://www.troutrods.com/

Some of their reels have been made by Hardy of England, CFO and a few others, but they are a proprietary product made outside the U.S. by different manufacturers.

Orvis has done a nice job of marketing and their catalogs are always worth leaving on the coffee table for looking at, but I have only one Orvis item and it is a vest.

I don't know if most people can tell the difference between a $300.00 rod and a $1000.00 rod, but there is a reason the more expensive rods cost more. Reels are the same. Their only function (trout reels) is to hold line. Drags on trout reels are over sold and for the most part, unnecessary.

I prefer Abel, Lamson, Hardy, but to just hold line and fish, you don't have to go that route either. You might not like a pro shop as they tend to be uppity, but most times you can get some good information there as to gear, its purpose and function, then go to Orvis and buy some decent gear at a savings.

For me I still stick by the best names as they are the best for a reason.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'm kicking around the idea of purchasing a Sage. I never had one or held one for that matter. I hear good things about them. I am looking for a river rod but for small to medium rivers. I don't want anything real long, do you have any recs as far as Sage goes? I want to purchase within the next month or two and not spend over $500 for total package.

Last edited by Nikki; 02/23/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sage makes a great rod but they vary a lot in speed. I would find a place to cast a few rather than just picking one out of a catalog.

I prefer a softer action flyrod and have an older DS model (5 weight) that I like a lot and it is by no means their most expensive model. It replaced an old DS that I bought in 1989 for $90 that I slammed in a car door a couple years ago up at Penns creek. frown

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,875
Posts18,518,107
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.