Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I was browsing the local pawn shop and saw an old Remington Model 11 shotgun. Thought it might be a neat older gun for a future collectible. I still want to shoot it and mess around with it. I guess I have several questions

Was this autoloading shotgun reliable in the field? Is it difficult to work on? Will it ever be a collectible? Would I ruin its value if I bought new wood or tried to refinish the wood it came with?

The gun is a 16 guage. I would like to shoot it some and play with it, but i would also like to clean it up and maybe refinish etc.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exact copy of a Browning auto five. No real collectors value unless as new or a higher grade. May well be chambered for 2&9/16" shells as that was the standard back then.
I'd skip it unless mint and dirt cheap.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Model 11 was the gun that strained Bowning and Winchesters friendship. The way it was told to me, Browning approached Winchester with the offer to produce his shotgun and Winchester said they would, however, not under the usual practices of the past. Browning said forget it and went to their competitor, Remington, to build the gun known as the Model 11. Later Browning built a plant in Belgium and started producing the gun themselves. This gun is called the Browning Auto 5.

The Remington Mod 11 is a great gun with a lot of hand fitted parts but is probably not in any serious danger of becoming a real collectors piece.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
The gun is not mint and I didnt look it over that close. I would say its worn about average for a gun built between 1900 and 1940 or so. It is selling for $225. I see them with bids on gun brokers in that same range, then add shipping and FFL fees. Thought it might be fun.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Exact copy of a Browning auto five. No real collectors value unless as new or a higher grade. May well be chambered for 2&9/16" shells as that was the standard back then.
I'd skip it unless mint and dirt cheap.

If chambered for the 2&9/16" shell, would it say that on the barrel like a modern shotgun?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably not as that's all there was in 16.
Gunsmith should have 2&3/4 chamber gauge to check.
It can be recut but functioning may be an issue.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have always liked the Model 11 and as others say, it is the same as a Browning Auto-5 except I don't think it has a magazine cutoff. My dad owned several of them back in the day and I have always kept my eye out for a 3-shot "Sportsman" version with the tapered forearm.

One thing is for sure, they would cost a lot of money to make today and they are very reliable.

Thanks...Bill.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Malm
The Model 11 was the gun that strained Bowning and Winchesters friendship. The way it was told to me, Browning approached Winchester with the offer to produce his shotgun and Winchester said they would, however, not under the usual practices of the past. Browning said forget it and went to their competitor, Remington, to build the gun known as the Model 11. Later Browning built a plant in Belgium and started producing the gun themselves. This gun is called the Browning Auto 5.

The Remington Mod 11 is a great gun with a lot of hand fitted parts but is probably not in any serious danger of becoming a real collectors piece.

My understanding of the incident is that JMB had been selling other gun designs to other companies and they all paid royalties which were far higher than Winchester had ever paid him. Bennet, CEO of Winchester, said no way in Hell would he ever pay royalties to anyone.

JMB packed up the model and plans and left, never to speak to Bennet again, even though he spent significant time in their plant while overseeing machinegun manufacture.

Most consider the refusal to pay JMB what he wanted was the dumbest thing Winchester could have done...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably not as that's all there was in 16.
Gunsmith should have 2&3/4 chamber gauge to check.
It can be recut but functioning may be an issue.

Function is almost never a problem when pressures are increased... It is only when trying to get stuff to function with lower pressures where the stone walls come into play.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Exact copy of a Browning auto five..

Wrong.. It's extremely close, but do you know what's different??

(Trivia ? here.. ) laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Exact copy of a Browning auto five..

Wrong.. It's extremely close, but do you know what's different??

(Trivia ? here.. ) laugh laugh

The Remington does not have the magazine cutoff.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There's another..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hmmm... Musta stumped y'all... Hehehehehee..

C'mon, boys.. Keep diggin'.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The early safety was a sliding bar in front of the trigger. The carrier was one piece. The front trigger plate used a pin retainer & the rear screw had no lock screw. Initially the firing pin was similar to the rectangular Browning version. There was no left hand extractor in the breechbolt as the case rim is held in position by the LH side of the barrel extension.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That's better... laugh

One more that most people miss is the locking block latch pin.. It's removal is the opposite of the A-5 - driven from R to L to remove..

So, bottom line, when someone says they're the 'exact copy' of the A-5, they're not..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the later Model 11 Sportsman version of the shotgun that was mentioned in a previous post. Mine is a 12 ga. and it is an excellent and reliable old shotgun.

μολὼν λαβέ
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Remington also has a recoil cushion in the rear of the receiver which the A5 lacks. Has something to do with how the action is timed. The bolt in a Remington would strike the rear of the receiver without it. There's a seriouse risk of damage if a Remington is fired without the cushion in place.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And, I don't think but not sure, that the Remington did not have the lock screws on the outside of the receiver

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a Model 11 in my shop that has locking screws on the receiver.

Most people have mis-informed ideas about how the friction piece should work. They usually defeat the brake entirely then proceed to beat the action to pieces and comment about how hard they kick.

Quite a few parts in them. Actually a complex design. Takes a bit of time to detail srip every part and clean.

When taken care of and properly adjusted they are very reliable.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think it's a tribute to John Browning that Savage and Franchi also produced his design. I have seen lots of the Savage design with the aluminum receiver cracked. The steel receiver models were very solid shotguns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (264mag, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2five7, 66 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,076
Posts18,521,761
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.