Print Thread
Hop To
U
USAFA71 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
U
I currently have a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker w/BOSS which I find extremely accurate and pleasant to shoot with the BOSS. The problem is that I only have one rifle in 30.06, and therefore need another. The only rifles available in left-hand that I am interested in are the Ruger Hawkeye, Tikka T3(have a 595 left-hand in 7-08), Savage 116(have a model 10 in 257 Roberts and really like it), and Remingon XCR(have had several 700s in the past). Don't know of any others, but not interested in spending $3K+, although the NULA is interesting. Would like to stay around $1K retail cost.
For those with the Ruger/Tikka/Savage/Remington/NULA(right or left-hand), what do your like and dislike about your rifle? Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Last edited by USAFA71; 01/20/10.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been a 700 fan for many years now. Almost all of them I've owned have been shooters. I had a LH 77 30-06 and sold it when the LH 700 LSS came out. Wish I still had it. The Ruger stock fit me well and the action was smooth. The Savage won't win any beauty contests but I bet it will be a shooter. The T3 should shoot lights out, haven't heard any reports otherwise.
The Ruger and the Tikka will both come with integral bases and a set of scope rings. That is a plus. Hard to go wrong any way you go.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have, or have had, all of them.

Despite their accuracy, I just find the Savages to be too blocky to make me go all weak in the knees the way a new gun should.

The Tikka is a helluva gun, but if someone tells me they think they are untraditional bordering on ugly, I won't argue. But they are light, they feed, they are accurate, and the trigger is great.

The Ruger is the workhorse it has always been, and the Hawkeye stock is way gooder than the old one. Still heavier than I want.

Although I have owned more Remingtons than anything else, I won't buy one of the current ones--too expensive even though they seem cheaped down.

A NULA is a wonderful thing, and you should buy the first decent priced LH one you come across.

In terms of my own projects, I am only building on Win 70 action these days.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have a LH Ruger M77 MKII Stainless Laminate. I like it. They come standard with medium rings. If you are ordering it, be sure to specify what ring height you want. The good news is, if you haven't opened the package and used them, Ruger will let you send them back for exchange, and won't charge shipping for the new rings. I exchanged my MKII Satin Stainless Medium rings for Hawkeye Matte Stainless Low rings. Cost me less than $3 to ship the old ones back. If you want lower than the Ruger lows, Leupold is the way to go then, but I don't think the difference is significant. I prefer the ergonomics of the Win M70's safety over Ruger's (have one of those too in .300 WSM Featherweight). But again, this is not a big deal and it is a 3-position saftey functionally. The checkering on the stock sucks, but that's the same with all manufacturers today. I like the color of the grey laminate stock and it goes with the stainless quite well. The latching floorplate is solid. And the satin finish is likely more rust resistant than the matte finish of the Hawkeye. Having said that, I like the fleeter stocks of the new Hawkeye's better than the MKII. People talk about Ruger's being heavy, yet it feels very light in my hands. I have no ultra-light mickey stocked rifles to compare it to. I may switch out the stock someday but in no rush. Trigger job is in order for the MKII. I haven't handled the Hawkeye's LC6 trigger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For straight factory, I would go Ruger Hawkeye I believe.

I am currently having a B series Remington action in 30-06 bedded into a specials list swirley. Putting a 1.75-6 Leupold on it that I got here and the total will be under $1000 for everything.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
go with the ruger hawkeye or lerk in the shadow for a used m70 like i did do you want it classic 270

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Let me add a little to what gringo loco has said. I just bought a hawkeye in 223 and I still prefer the stainless or nice bluing the MKII's came with. The Lc6 trigger is not that great either (atleast I could work on the mkII trigger), it is still on the heavy side but is considerably better than the mkII's in out of the box terms. The matte finish seems a bit weak and wears off pretty easy!! The stock is very nice with nice checkering. The weight of the rifle is about the same as my 300 win mag (a little heavier than a 223 should be). In all it is a good rifle, but if you could find one of the older mkII's for less money you'd probably be better off doing that.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I have a LH Ruger M77 MKII Stainless Laminate. I like it. They come standard with medium rings. If you are ordering it, be sure to specify what ring height you want. The good news is, if you haven't opened the package and used them, Ruger will let you send them back for exchange, and won't charge shipping for the new rings. I exchanged my MKII Satin Stainless Medium rings for Hawkeye Matte Stainless Low rings. Cost me less than $3 to ship the old ones back. If you want lower than the Ruger lows, Leupold is the way to go then, but I don't think the difference is significant. I prefer the ergonomics of the Win M70's safety over Ruger's (have one of those too in .300 WSM Featherweight). But again, this is not a big deal and it is a 3-position saftey functionally. The checkering on the stock sucks, but that's the same with all manufacturers today. I like the color of the grey laminate stock and it goes with the stainless quite well. The latching floorplate is solid. And the satin finish is likely more rust resistant than the matte finish of the Hawkeye. Having said that, I like the fleeter stocks of the new Hawkeye's better than the MKII. People talk about Ruger's being heavy, yet it feels very light in my hands. I have no ultra-light mickey stocked rifles to compare it to. I may switch out the stock someday but in no rush. Trigger job is in order for the MKII. I haven't handled the Hawkeye's LC6 trigger.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a T3 lite stainless (LH, 30-06) and I really like it but it's not terribly different than your A-Bolt (synth/stainless, relatively light, etc.) I do think that the T3 has a smoother action and a better trigger.

If you plan to build something else (35 Whelen, etc.) then the 700 might be the way to go, but I think the Ruger is the next one I want to look at (I have an A-bolt Micro Hunter on order in 7mm-08.) I like the stock profile, the CRF and safety, but have heard plus and minus on the new trigger. No LH stainless in the 2010 catalog.

If you like the Savage, I'd check out ER Shaw. They are touted as a semi-custom rifle with a factory price.

Last edited by Pointbock; 01/21/10.

Support your local brewer.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
my latest (and first 30-06) was (is) the Hawkeye

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have the Tikka T3 LH 06 and a Rem BDL. I gave a Rem LSS in 06 to my brother, have had a Ruger MKII.

The Tikka is accurate and light, the BDL is accurate and light enough, the LSS was accurate but a tad on the heavy side. The Ruger wouldn't shoot to my liking.

I agree with all said above. I guess I'd vote the Tikka though. It doesn't look the best but it is the best tool in my box.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have 3 LH 06,s. Ruger 77 MK 2 SS with Rimrock stock, Rem 700 LH with 22" Mtn contour barrel & Mcmillion stock and a
Win 70 with a Pac-Nor barrel & a Rimrock stock.
They all shoot great, The Rem is the lightest, The Ruger and Win shoot about the same accuracy. I like all 3 for different reasons. I would try and find a LH Ruger SS MK 2 if you can.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I would try and find a LH Ruger SS MK 2 if you can.

Agreed. Or search for a used LH M70.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 7mmStwer, 7887mm08, 35, 17 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,780
Posts18,536,045
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.