Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
While I was contemplating a winch choice for my 350 Rancher, a problem cropped up with my son's 2001 250 Recon. We were out riding on some steep hills and it would flood out when climbing. When I took the air cleaner cover off, gas was pouring out of the carburetor. Once we got it on level ground and dried out the carb, it would run fine, but once on an incline it would flood out.
A trip to the dealer diagnosed a bad carburetor, and since the machine (obtained from a retired gentleman) was hardly used, it sat idle for long periods. This ruined the needle/seat joint (which the seat portion is not replaceable) to the tune of $500 installed, plus $200 more for a full service that includes an oil change because gas has gotten into the crankcase from the pcv valve.
Needless to say, I went to the dealer to retrieve the corpse today.

I ordered a OEM carb plus a shop manual this evening. Bolting on the new carb looks easy enough, once you get past the cramped working quarters. I ordered the shop manual just in case, and it wouldn't hurt to have it as a backup and to read about it before I start the process.

I lost my desire to work on vehicles some time ago, and I didn't pay much more than $700 for the atv, so that is motivation enough to try it myself. If it doesn't work, I'm out $100 and my son gets some mechanic experience!

I'll keep you posted and advice is appreciated!

Last edited by justsaymoe; 01/13/10.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got a 2001 rancher. I'd been having carb trouble for about a year, my problem was that the needle would stick and all my gas would drain out of the overflow line. It would completely empty the gas tank if I didn't catch it and whack the carb with something to reseat things. It became a major pain in the butt because I could only put in a half gallon of gas or so, if I filled the tank it would just leak out. This led to me running out of gas all the time. I tried putting in a carb kit but I've never been able to rebuild a carb and get it to run right afterward and it still didn't take care of the problem. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new carb from the Honda dealer, it was $147. It was very easy to put on, I can't imagine the recon being much different. You should be able to do it pretty quickly and I didn't need the shop manual.

The main problem with my rancher was that it didn't have a fuel filter. I couldn't believe it when the parts guy at the honda place told me they didn't come with one but it's true, I'd like to meet the idiot that thought that was a good idea. The parts guy said something about filtering your gas, etc. but who does that? Over 9 years a lot of crud had gotten into the gas tank and migrated into the carb causing most of my problems. When I replaced my carb I plumbed an in-line filter into the fuel line, that should stop it from happening again. I'd recommend you do the same. Since your recon is a 2001 model like my rancher, I doubt it has a fuel filter either.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've got a 2001 rancher. I'd been having carb trouble for about a year, my problem was that the needle would stick and all my gas would drain out of the overflow line. It would completely empty the gas tank if I didn't catch it and whack the carb with something to reseat things. It became a major pain in the butt because I could only put in a half gallon of gas or so, if I filled the tank it would just leak out. This led to me running out of gas all the time. I tried putting in a carb kit but I've never been able to rebuild a carb and get it to run right afterward and it still didn't take care of the problem. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new carb from the Honda dealer, it was $147. It was very easy to put on, I can't imagine the recon being much different. You should be able to do it pretty quickly and I didn't need the shop manual.

The main problem with my rancher was that it didn't have a fuel filter. I couldn't believe it when the parts guy at the honda place told me they didn't come with one but it's true, I'd like to meet the idiot that thought that was a good idea. The parts guy said something about filtering your gas, etc. but who does that? Over 9 years a lot of crud had gotten into the gas tank and migrated into the carb causing most of my problems. When I replaced my carb I plumbed an in-line filter into the fuel line, that should stop it from happening again. I'd recommend you do the same. Since your recon is a 2001 model like my rancher, I doubt it has a fuel filter either.

Thanks for the info. The mechanic said trash it the gas tank would ruin the needle/seat joint, and since the seat is part of the carb and not replaceable, the only recourse is to replace the whole thing, which for 250 Recons is $300 at the Honda dealer. Ouch! I will find an inline fuel filter also.

thanks,
I'll let you know how it goes...

Moe

"Pick out two!"
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Update:
Installed the $79 carb and changed the oil today. It fired right up then died and would not refire. Only would run when primed. Scratched my head for about 30min and then DOH! The Honda dealer had turned the fuel switch off. Fired right up. It is amazing how well they run when they have gas!! The shop manual, I probably could have done without, but I read over the carb section so I would be familiar with the throttle mechanism, since it seemed like the most complicated part. It now has a place in the bathroom reading rack......I'll know it from one end to the other in no time.......

Last edited by justsaymoe; 01/22/10.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I have a 450 foreman es and you are correct about a gas filter they do not have one.I tried a aftermarket filter but no room to fit it.I have a small gas leak at the cold primer pump which is on the side of the carb: I was told the primer pump kit sells for 80.00 bucks,I was also told you can pull the primer rod out of the carb: and use a make up block off plate.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by flintforever
I have a 450 foreman es and you are correct about a gas filter they do not have one.I tried a aftermarket filter but no room to fit it.I have a small gas leak at the cold primer pump which is on the side of the carb: I was told the primer pump kit sells for 80.00 bucks,I was also told you can pull the primer rod out of the carb: and use a make up block off plate.

Most of the universal style inline fuel filters are pretty fat and there isn't room to fit one of those. I found a helpful guy at advance auto parts who went in the back and started opening boxes of OEM replacement filters until he found what I was looking for. I told him I need really skinny fuel filter for a 5/16" fuel line and he found one about as big around as my pinkie that was about 2" long. It was a tight fit but it works. I wish I could remember the part number of the filter I used. If you find a parts guy that's willing to go fishing through the various OEM replacement filters in the back then you'll be able to find something that will work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 58 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.