Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Do you trust an open-top holster for field carry of pistols like a full-size 1911 or Beretta? I like the slim looks of some of the open-top leather holsters, but just can't seem to get over the fact that the pistol is not secured by some sort of strap, etc.. I keep envisioning that the first time I jump across a ditch or crawl through some thick brush that I'll lose my gun....

Perhaps I should refine my original question some: I'm referring to LEATHER open-top holsters with no sort of tension-type retention....

Last edited by Triggernosis; 01/29/10.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've always used one with some kind of strap or retainer for security and peace of mind.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple. I won't say it's impossible for the gun to come out.... but I keep using them so must feel comfortable enough with them.

I guess if I knew I was going to have to roll down a mountainside I'd choose something more secure.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My normal CCW ensemble includes a Glock 19 in an open top belt holster with no strap. The holster is wet-moulded to the gun and has a tension screw. You would have to hold me upside down and shake me pretty hard to dislodge it.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both my CCW holsters are open at the top, NO thumb break etc. If I need to draw that pistol I want speed and no hinderance of a strap or cover.

Now if I am walking in the woods etc, I may very well have a holster with a cover over my pistol, however I still have my backup CCW pistol hidden with no top.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Any top quality holster won' let the gun just fall out. If your worried just get a Serpa with the trigger lock.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yes. I've got an old Safariland holster that will still allow me to turn it upside down with a fully loaded 1911.
Pretty hard for it to come out with running. Hard to get past the rib cage over the right hip. I've got a military style holster that I use sometimes with the full flap removed. Works well enough.
Not so with revolver holsters. I've never seen a form fitted revolver holster that would retain the gun upside down.
As with alot of things in handguns, test it and see what you think.
Frankly, unless I'm hiking a long way in the mountains, I much prefer the inside the waistband, strong side, butt to front and canted back position for accessability with either hand, security, even when running, concealablity and ease of draw. In otherwords, no holster at all. E

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yep! Trust them with my life. For the 1911, I use Milt Sparks for both my CC holsters; VMII and BN55. For my 4-5/8" Ruger NMBH in 45 Colt, I used the Mernickle Field Holster II in cross draw for my Grizzly hunt to Alaska last year. As long as the gun fits the holster VERY well, it will work great.

Alan

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jstall
Any top quality holster won' let the gun just fall out..
Exactly..

I've got several - Sparks, El Paso, Rosen et al., and they're just tops in fit, finish and retention.. Never had one come out that I didn't want to come out..

Only two I have with straps are for very large revolvers - one is scoped and both, in these two cases, do need straps.. .

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trust them with my life. Desantis and Galco open tops for years. I carry Glocks, 1911's and revolvers in them. I prefer the Galco for revolvers as they are wet fit around the cylinder and they will not fall out. Bianchi revolver holsters are too loose a fit unless you cinch your belt up tight. That puts pressure on the ends of the holster and makes for good retention, but the Galco works well no matter how tight the belt is or what you are wearing.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use nothing but open top holster for CC Carry and the only other type i would consider would be the Thumb Break. For hunting the strap holster is fine .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Another thing to consider is whether or not you might want to use a lanyard. You can buy one made specifically for that purpose or rig one out of an old coil-type phone cord and some black duct tape. It might not win a beauty contest, though...

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
All my carry holsters are open top...in 20+ years of training people to draw everyone under stress muffs a draw when a release is involved...it has been especially bad with the new Sherpa.

The exception would be on horse back or 4-wheeling in very rough territory...then if the gun had to be on the outside of my clothing I would want a holster with a strap.

I am not big on thumb break holsters as TWICE I lost 4" barrel revolvers from top name brand LE holsters when running and the thumbsnap came undone...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't know how many suspects I chased at full gallop, over fences, through fences, etc...and the cheap Glock factory holster held my G20, and the cheapo Glock mag carriers held my mags. I wouldn't hesitate to strap that little band of plastic on and shove the G20 in and go about my business.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Perhaps I should refine my original question some: I'm referring to LEATHER open-top holsters with no sort of tension-type retention....

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

...no. Especially on a 4-wheeler. A friend had a nice S&W M17 6" .22 pulled out of an open top holster while riding...had to backtrack over a mile to find it and was lucky the gun sustained almost no damage from the fall...could have been gone for good.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (219DW, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.