Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Anyone else? This has been a great thread to me. Love all the pics and stories.

Salmonhead
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i'm going in the morning maybe i'll have something to post tomorrow

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
good luck! i will be plowing snow starting about 3 AM. Hope to get done in time for nap and get out for some tree rats.

Salmonhead
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tbear
I have hunted hogs, pigs, or boars or what ever you want to call them in a number of states. We don't have any in Virginia(a few ferals in a Fed. Wildlife Refuge) but I have shot over 150. I'm sure some of the Texans do that in a couple of seasons. I have hunted with dogs, from stands, & by stalking. My favorite rifle is a 7600 in 35 Whelen w/6X42 Leupold. I prefer using dogs to bay up but any method including shooting at night with lights is fun. We eat a lot of hog meat. [Linked Image][IMG]

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/BigTBear/Rem7600TrophyBoar003.jpg[/IMG] This first photo is an Oct. hunt in Florida where I used a classic rifle & cartridge. A Win. 94 in .32 Special. The second is a 400lb. Red Russian shot on Brahma Island, Fl. The 6 foot rattler was shot with my Ruger single six.

==========================================================

Tbear,
I just found this thread, doing a search on hog pipe feeders!
I sure am glad we don't have any of these in VA, because I've killed about 15 of these figments of my imagination in the last few months, and getting ready to seriously kill a whole lot more! grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Wild, free roaming, and doing major damage to agriculture! Not on any Federal refuge either...and much closer than you think! whistle
1D

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....I've had hogs under my deer stands a number of times, never wanted to kill one and foul my deer hunt. I reckon if I felt more comfortable about eating pigs I'd have bagged a bunch by now seeing as how I could have often hit'em with a coke bottle.

....I've finally decided to take my sons, John, Elijah, and Hiram down to west shore of lake Okeechobee, back into the sugar cane fields and swamps there where there are a million hogs. We'll go down for a buggy hunt with a pack of red bone hounds. We'll be heading down in a couple of months now. Hiram wants to take his hog with a Bowie knife I got for graduating to Patron member of the NRA, Elijah will use a Winchester model 92 repo in 45 Colt, John his Ruger Black Hawk in 41 Rem Mag. Me I'll back them up with my Remington 760 (Maybe my 141) in 35 Remington. I'll post our results here on the campfire..

.....The dogs of course do the hunting, we'll take care of the slaughter.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i've killed hogs from my blind while hunting deer.if you let the hog lay the deer will still come out.i've seen a deer come up and sniff a dead pig that i had shot about 20 minutes earlier

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great looking pigs. Look like you are having fun. I guess they are getting ready to come into Wash.,D.C. with all the other pork we have here. Recently had a friend I hunt with in Scotland send me a news story of boars attacking several people outside of London. Boar were exterminated from the UK sometime in the late 1800's. Apparently these were so called free roaming domestic hogs that got loose & of course, the rest is history. The UK is big on any meat that is raised free roaming like hogs, chickens, etc. No one seems to know why they are so aggressive. One attack occurred near a school.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
These started out as all wild stock that was imported, and bred with American feral(razorback). The owner was killed and the hogs escaped almost ten years ago. They have since bred with domestics as they could be found. There are hundreds, if not thousands roaming over a couple counties. They are here forever!
They really aren't that far from DC!
1D

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My second biggest problem with hogs, besides them tearing up fields I plant or rooting up the pastures until they can't be mowed, is the predatory nature.
A wild hog has the same appetite as a bear. Anything it can catch or find it will eat. Plant or animal. New born fawns and nesting turkeys and quail are screwed.
I kill them on sight. I love the meat of a fat sow, but have cleaned my last boar. Regardless of the good stories I have heard about boar meat.

stumpy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hog hunting is fun because there is no season end and no limits. i have done it in FLorida (Yeehaw Junction) and in Georgia as of late. I prefer spot and stalk to stand hunting as hogs arent as wary as deer although they do have a great nose, they cant see too well...

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
A wild pig rug? Holy hell would my wife have a chit attack if I tried to bring that into the house.

I think I would too, for that matter.... eek

Ahhh, they aint all that bad. grin

[Linked Image]

Let's rob this train, Jesse.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by 1_deuce
I sure am glad we don't have any of these in VA, because I've killed about 15 of these figments of my imagination in the last few months, and getting ready to seriously kill a whole lot more! grin

1_deuce,

Care to share which counties these pigs are in? Or is it a secret? grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hog hunting is all fun and good if you can somewhere else and do it. Once they are where you are the fun is gone for the most part and the heartache begins.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 01/30/10.

Otto is my co-pilot.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well, if you say so, Nathan. But the folks in that mass hogicide picture still seem to be smiling...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're from out of town....like I said. It's fun to shoot someone elses pigs.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're fun to hunt, but man are they are destructive little monsters.

I sure hope they never make it into Montana.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
OK you guys make me mad! No not really but you guys are going out getting this hogs for free. I am going to SC with the wife for 2 weeks to visit the in-laws and have been looking for a guide service there. You guys in Texas and Florida are nailing them. Must be nice. Jealous I am I say.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the time when I was getting "free" hogs, it was just shooting them, not hunting. But the sausage and hams still tasted pretty good..

I'm hoping to get out to California to do a real hunt this spring.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My son got this one recently.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great picture!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,292
Posts18,525,764
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.