Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Got a new Winchester Extreme Weather a few weeks ago. Just got around to inspecting it, cleaning it, but have not gotten a chance to shoot it yet.

Checked the trigger pull on a Layman gauge. Pull was over 5 lbs - 4 oz. Tried to adjust the trigger and the best I could get was 4 lbs - 10 oz.

Have others had this problem? Looks like I will be boxing it up and sending it back.

HR IC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What a bummer...

LOVE that wonderful new MOA trigger... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have shot 3 of them;2 300WSM's,and a 270.

I don't weigh triggers,I pull them, and if they feel fine I don't touch them,so I have no idea what the trigger pull has been on them.All I can tell anyone is that my 270 and 300WSM are two of the most accurate out-of -the box rifles I have ever purchased.

Grieves me to say,they are as accurate as some customs I have had built,without any trigger adjustment at all.I have the groups to prove it....

I'm a fan of the old M70 trigger,and would have prefered if they kept it,but I will just wait and see how long it takes me to break the one on the SC M70.The way this 300 WSM shoots,I'm not letting anyone touch it smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've heard of some not adjusting down well. Mine got to a hair over 3lbs easily and with no hassle. Didn't try to go lower since it feels good as is. Think it was sent, from the factory, at over 5lbs.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[quote]What a bummer...

LOVE that wonderful new MOA trigger./quote]
grin

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
It breaks real clean and has no creep at all, and frankly does not feel like a 4 3/4 # trigger. I am going to borrow a trigger gauge to check and make sure mine is not inaccurate.

I hope it shoots as good as those you guys have!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
VaHunter- I'll be surprised if it does not shoot!Give it a box ot two of ammo and a couple of cleanings.The 300 WSM did not start churning till after maybe 30-40 rounds or so..

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've not pulled a trigger on the MOA yet. How difficult is it to replace or change it out? Realizing that it might be just fine, but just for the sake of knowing, can the original M70 trigger be installed/retrofitted or is this a physical impossibility?

Having said that, lots of folks seem to like the new model.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It is impossible to use the old-style triggers on receivers made with the MOA trigger. Nothing will line up and I've not heard yet as to whether Timney or perhaps some others out there have made replacements yet.

If the trigger won't get to 3 lbs., you need to call FN about that. They indeed are supposed to go that low very easily. The way they are built though, precludes a guy from taking it really any lower than that.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanks triggerguard1. Hard to see why anyone would need to go lower than 3 lbs on a hunting rifle. As long as it's crisp and reliable over the long haul.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I've not pulled a trigger on the MOA yet. How difficult is it to replace or change it out?
Can't replace (yet).. Can't change it to the old model (Just wondeful, BACO, you freakin' idiots...) so those that have 'em are stuck with 'em..

I have a bunch of M70s... NONE have an MOA trigger and none WILL have an MOA trigger...

Talk about screwing the pooch..

JMHO, of course.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I've not pulled a trigger on the MOA yet. How difficult is it to replace or change it out?
Can't replace (yet).. Can't change it to the old model (Just wondeful, BACO, you freakin' idiots...) so those that have 'em are stuck with 'em..

I have a bunch of M70s... NONE have an MOA trigger and none WILL have an MOA trigger...

Talk about screwing the pooch..

JMHO, of course.. laugh

Redneck,

I'm just going to have to stop reading your posts until you get around to telling us how you really feel about the new MOA trigger. grin

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a new Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 325 wsm. It wouldn't get below 4.2 lbs of trigger pull. Rather than send it in to the service department, I took it to my local gunsmith. He is a heck of a fine guy and an amazing gunsmith. He was way ahead of me as far as fixing this thing. He took out the trigger pull adjusting screw, and drilled the hole that it came out of so as to let out the offending trigger pull spring. He then tapped the hole and replaced the spring and set screw.
Now it is adjusted to 3 lbs and feels great.

Good Luck with yours.

Wsmnut

Belief is often the death of reason.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have the same gun in 300 wsm, and this gun has by far the best factory trigger I've tried. Clean, crisp, light, repeatable. No issues. Like Bob said, if it remains reliable, don't see how it could be any better.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I just adjusted mine today it took about 10 mins to dig it out the goop. I don't have a trigger scale but I will stop by the smith tomorrow to have it checked on the way to the range.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Redneck,

I'm just going to have to stop reading your posts until you get around to telling us how you really feel about the new MOA trigger. grin
laugh

Originally Posted by wsmnut
I have a new Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 325 wsm. It wouldn't get below 4.2 lbs of trigger pull. Rather than send it in to the service department, I took it to my local gunsmith. He is a heck of a fine guy and an amazing gunsmith. He was way ahead of me as far as fixing this thing. He took out the trigger pull adjusting screw, and drilled the hole that it came out of so as to let out the offending trigger pull spring. He then tapped the hole and replaced the spring and set screw.
Now it is adjusted to 3 lbs and feels great.

Remember how this wonderful new trigger was touted as wonderfully adjustable, and 'owner friendly' and that the "old" M70 needed 'work' to make it right??

Hmmmm.. So the owner hadda take it to a smith who had to do some 'work' on it to make it right - drilling, replacing, tweaking.. Hmmmm ...

Another poster spent 10 mns to clean out stuff in order to adjust.. Never had to do that on that crappy, miserable OLD trigger..

New owners are making my argument valid every day.. You DON'T fix what ain't broke.. When will bean counters and CEOs EVER learn.. Hehehehehehee.

And the jury's still out on longevity - while that miserable, worthless 'OLD' M70 trigger is still working just fine after 70+ years..

This is hilarious...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Redneck your are one of the most knowledgeable people on here when it comes to Winchesters and I am sure you have a valid concern but it is what it is at this point. I am lucky since I don't have as much experience as others all my Winchesters are post 64 is that the same trigger as the pre-64's?

Last edited by ehunter; 02/02/10.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ehunter
Redneck your are one of the most knowledgeable people on here when it comes to Winchesters and I am sure you have a valid concern but it is what it is at this point.
Yep, nothin' this little peon can do to change it.. laugh
I am lucky since I don't have as much experience as others all my Winchesters are post 64 is that the same trigger as the pre-64's?
Basically, yes..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Redneck your are one of the most knowledgeable people on here when it comes to Winchesters and I am sure you have a valid concern but it is what it is at this point.
I am lucky since I don't have as much experience as others all my Winchesters are post 64 is that the same trigger as the pre-64's?
Basically, yes..

There are some things that you just leave alone. Such was the case with the Winchester trigger. The genius in the design was it's simplicity.

The frustration arrises when a company address an issue--that is not the issue at all.

It was not the trigger that caused the Winchester brand to languish. Therin lies the rub!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Basically, yes..

There are some things that you just leave alone. Such was the case with the Winchester trigger. The genius in the design was it's simplicity.

The frustration arrises when a company address an issue--that is not the issue at all.

It was not the trigger that caused the Winchester brand to languish. Therin lies the rub!!
EXACTLY...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.