Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Browning A-bolt composite stalker in 25-06. I am having a hard time selling it and I'm thinking of using it for a build project. Are A-bolts easy to re-build? I've always wanted a 9.3 but can't see wasting a gun because I can't sell it. Any suggestions on a gunsmith to do the job. I would like a wood stock and 22" barrel with irons on it.......

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cut your loss and move it. I checked for a buddy about 6 months ago and could not find a smith willing to rebarrel his. Far cheaper to sell it for a $100 loss than to pump more into it.

N
N
What is the $$$$ on the a bolt

NC Hunters Safty Instructor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Malm on the gunsmith forum has said he has re-barreled quite a few. Check here http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/19902/Malm to contact him.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There is a reason so few gunsmiths are willing to work on or customize an A bolt. It's not a very good action.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Well it's not that it won't shoot, in fact it will out shoot everything I own. It has a BOSS on it and I can't find a load that it won't shoot into tiny little clusters at 100 yds. In fact the load I use, 117 gr Hornady RN with 50 gr of IMR4350 shoots into one hole at 100yds. Not exactly a match bullet but shoots like one. Just want something different and It's the one I'm willing to sacrifice.

Last edited by brinky72; 01/31/10.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's my understanding that Browning uses Loctite on the threads, and in order to remove the barrel, you have to heat the action just enough to break down the Loctite without ruining the heat treatment of the action. Sounds like it can be done, but should be done by someone experienced.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SELL IT as soon as you can and put whatever you can get for it towards a GOOD rifle. Never said they were not accurate, the few I have had were real shooters, but poorly engineered,designed and built anyway.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Savage is accurate, but you don't see many customs built around them.
Like spending a hunk of money customizing a single wide.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trade it for a ham sandwich. Even if it's got bad mayo...

Me

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by teal
Trade it for a ham sandwich. Even if it's got bad mayo...
ridiculous...everyone knows they make better tomato stakes.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
SELL IT as soon as you can and put whatever you can get for it towards a GOOD rifle. Never said they were not accurate, the few I have had were real shooters, but poorly engineered,designed and built anyway.

They are a system gun that is very well put together. I wish all American rifles were put together as well but they are far from that. The Design I agree on it is not a great design and a lot of substandard materials are used in the trigger group and magazine assembly. The same can be said of a Rem 700 and a few other rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do some searching on here, I think the thing about the epoxy on the barrel threads was debunked on here a long time ago.

I would keep shooting it if it shoots that good and buy another rifle to build on.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
your best bet would be to find a retailer to trade your browning in to for another gun, they will go by msrp rather than the popularity. However, many retailers won't touch a browning. As the man working in our local small town sporting goods store once told me, " I'm not a browning associate", I knew this was bs, there was also plenty of browning equipment in the store, but I knew why. As prejudice as that may be, what can you do? Try trading it in.

The one thing I look forward to with technology is to travel back in time to hunt mastodons!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ive had a couple of abolts myself and i have several friends who have them, to be honest ive never been around an abolt that wasnt a shooter. im guessing the reason its not selling is the boss. i have one on my .300win mag i took it off and ordered a boss cr for it much better, maybe you could try that and see if it will sell.

6.5mm's rock

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (21, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 260Remguy, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,811
Posts18,536,699
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.