Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LeRoy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
but I really need some "help". I HAVE to go on a walkabout/hiatus/sabbatical. I had planned on an extended holiday anyway, but things are just way too extreme for me here. Going through a messed up separation, got laid off from a 14 yr job, and am not sure what I want to do.
I am going to have everything, 2 trucks, house, 5th wheel, etc., paid off at the end of Feb. Giving house to StbX(Soon to be EX), she can sell/keep whatever. She has a truck and car, paid in full as well.
Anyway, my thinking is this....
I would like to head south first part of March,(too damn cold up here) and find a "few" places that I could "squat" for a week or more. Preferably the latter, where I would be out of the way, able to shoot, reload, and wonder around the country side and ponder on what I am going to do for the rest of my life. This will also (I hope) help me loose the 40 extra lbs I added since last Oct!
I have most of the backpacking gear I would need for hiking as well. And what I don't have, will be easy to add as I go.
If a few of you have a small corner of land that I could borrow, here and there, (or suggestions where I could find such land), I am willing to pay for the use - either with cash or labour. I am looking mostly at the western states for now.
And if anyone thinks I am doing the wrong thing, please don't be shy - I am a big boy - just a little messed up right now.
If anyone knows the laws concerning doing something like this, please chime in. I have to get a couple of non-res hunting licenses anyway, as I am on the Texas Hog Hunt and the Wyoming, Colorado, Montana Rendezvous. I am also going to hit some of the nice parks, but as I stated, would kind of like to be apart from all the hustle and bustle of crowds and all that goes with them.
I just went over this post, and it may seem a little convoluted, but that is how I feel right now. I hope it makes sense to you all.

Thank you for you input/advise/abuse;) etc....
Little Lost LeRoy

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Can't help you out on the "down south" thing, pard, but wishing you the best.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dude there ain't nada like gettin some free space to reconnect with yourself.

your plan sounds fine to me.

i'd take the break, hike the Appy Trail or something else, live outa the back of your truck, take odd jobs whatever until you have a clear head and direction.

sounds like a freakin blast to me

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
God Bless and good wishes from here in Oregon.

Sorry for your tough spot.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I drove outta Fbx and went to whore shoein' school. Took alla the wrinkles out. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

I drove outta Fbx and went to whore shoein' school. Took alla the wrinkles out. wink

ironed you out right nice too!

how much better can life get than "no particular place to go"?

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Things just become sooo simple!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Head for someplace like Elk City or Elk River in Idaho, put up a sign @ the post office or local store & ask for handyman work / room & board whatever. The locals will empathize..... & some of the outfitters will be starting to do some busy work to get ready for next season in March & April. Warmer in Lewiston, Id.
MC

marty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of places in national forrests you don't have to pay. No power or water though.

I'd start south and follow turkey season. In fact I'd go to Alabama turkey hunting and crappie fishing.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hook-up the 5th wheel and go. Oregon isn't very far south, but there is lots of public land you can camp on for free.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find a spot in the desert outside of Zion National park in Utah or anywhere further south. Weather will be outright balmy to you, 3/4 or more will be public land, and you can work our whatever you need to work out for free, not counting ammo and targets. With very few exceptions, all "National forest" and "BLM" government land is open for camping purposes. In popular areas, you just have to move your outfit every 14 days, IIRC. All the best, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

LeRoy:

Ford 250, camper shell and a dog for company. Thought about that kind of life many a time.

It would work for me, if it came to such a turn. Hope it works for you.

- Tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Minnesota DNR has a scattering of "Forest Management Units" where you can park yourself and your camper for up to nine [IIRC] days at no cost. They are generally adjacent to large tracts (large for Minnesota anyway) of state forest land.

If you're in the Houston or Winona county areas of MN, look me up. It'll be worth at least a hot meal and a couple drinks, and maybe a secret fishing hole or hunting spot.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
LeRoy;

I'd look HARD at the Adirondacks for that.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Except for the shooting part, I'd think about starting at South Padre until the spring breakers arrive. Or even after. Some of them could take your mind off a divorce.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
LeRoy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You folks are the greatest! I really appreciate all the leads. I wonder how long it would take for them to find this middle aged illegal immigrant;)
Maybe I could write a book about my travels, and all the cool people I meet!
Now I gotta go, seems to be a leak.....

THANK Y'ALL!

pm's are good too, got one real nice one, if you like.

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leroy, as far as I know, you'll be breaking no laws for the first six months, and nobody on this side will care if you stay longer. Working for pay would be the only thing that would get someone's interest. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leroy:

If you're looking to leave in the next month, then you'll want some place further south and warmer than the souhtern Utah deserts. Don't get me wrong, there's some beautiful country there but as anyone knows whose spent time in the desert in winter, it's not the day time heat you have to worry about but it's the night time cold that chills you to the bone. If you go in February, I suggest you take a look at Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park in Southern Texas, then maybe wander over to Coronado National Forest in southern Arizona. By the time that those places start to get uncomfortably warm, you can start migrating north into the mountains of our national forests and BLM land. There's a lot of places out there to get lost in and find your inner self in the process.

I think Dutch is right. You'll want to make sure that your passport is current and get a tourist visa. They are good for six months and they can be extended indefinitely so long as you're not working.

Charles Kerault wrote a book about wandering around the country in a trailer/camper. I think it is called Travels with Charlie.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, the Az. Border region could use a few more Albertans.

I mean that.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by LeRoy
I wonder how long it would take for them to find this middle aged illegal immigrant;)

Quite a while, actually. And by then, you might be tired of us, anyway.

- Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 52 invisible), 16,890 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,923
Posts18,539,047
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.