Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37465 08/24/01
POP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have an opinion of this caliber. I had one before and I reloaded for it. Never hunted with it and for some dumb reason I sold it. I am thinking of buying another (if I can find one that is) [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It is a cartridge that never caught on. It is dead and getting deader. It won't be long before you won't be able to buy ammo for it. I'm sure that it is a speacil order item now.<P>What are you going to hunt w/it?<P>Deer, get a 30-30.<P>Elk, get a .444, 45-70, or .450<P>Or look for a Savage in .358 (which is Winchester was trying to copy) or a .35 Whelan. Or an '06. <P>Get a current cartridge, and one that is going to stay current, not one form the past. Don't get a dinosaur.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh heck, if you got a hankering for a 356, get one. You can still get brass here and there. I never understood the demise of the 307 and 356.If I was a lever action 94 man,I would have one or the other. Very sensible and efficient. Go for it. Half the fun of deer camp is having a rifle or cartridge no one else has. Knowledgeable,snobbery, I call it.

4pwr
POP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanx the input. I will look for one...just to be different! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I didn't mean to say that it isn't a good round...It is just dying. It probably should caught on, but the fact is even though it is better thatn the .35 Remington, it didn't catch on.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pop; the 356 as you probably know is the ballistic equivelant to the 348 Win.<BR>Over the years, my brother has taken several Woodland bison bulls(huge) in the NWT, using the 348 in a model 71. Most of them one shot kills, using 200 grn factory ammo.<BR>Brass and ammo(200grn bullets) is still available from Winchester. Scope mounting on the 94AE is a snap.Anything you point it at within 200 yards, has a serious problem.My wife uses a BLR in 358 for spring bear. Very efficient and effective round.<BR>Because they are not popular, I would think if you can find one for sale the price should be right. Good luck

POP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Canon<BR>On the contrary because they are rare they are expensive! [img]images/icons/mad.gif" border="0[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
POP,<P>I once had an itch to acquire a Win 94AE XTR, in 356 Win. The year they came out was the same year the AE XTR was offered in the 307 Win and 375 Win. The 307 Win was always a bit interesting to me. Here was a .308 lever that pushed a 170 grain bullet at 2650 fps and a 180 grain at 2550 fps. Try that with a 30-30 Win. In fact, the 307 Win is more like a "super 30-30". It never was popular either, go figure.<P>The 356 Win is a great all around hunting cartridge with a bonified 250 yard reach. I have found many after market loads for around $22-$26 a box. Most are loaded with Speer Gold Dot 180 grain and 220 grain bullets. It will work nicely on big deer, black bear, pigs, elk, and even moose.<P>If you reload, brass and dies are available, and if you really want to smoke something with it, try some lead cast bullets in it.<P>Good Luck,<BR>~rossi~

POP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rossi and others... Thanx for the input. I actually got a little lucky! I found a 1983 vintage (barely used, 98%) Model 94 AE XTR! No crossbolt safety, and the Monte Carlo stock! Talk about rare! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img] I also bought 500 new cases (real cheap!) and a set of RCBS dies. I can't wait to get started. To be honest I do not know how much actual hunting use it will here in Wyoming, maybe elk in timber, but I must admit I do love the oddballs! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just recently pickup a Win. 94 in 356 and would like to add a good recoil pad
and optics. but don't want the scope sitting over the action: harder to get at the action;
also spoils the neat carry of the LA. Has anyone done the scope forward method
of mounting? From what I have read initial reaction has been negative but after
trying has been very positive. Input please, also is there a good pad that I could add,
don't need to increase pull vey much just take up recoil. Thanks NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
POP I think the 356 is a good cartridge. I must admit to never having fired one, but the paper ballistics look good. I think with careful reloading it could come very close to the performance of the 348.
You could form brass from 444 cases.
In the Grafs sale booklet that came a couple of days ago they had ww factory loads for 21 and change.
Might be when you get a good load for it you might want to take it hunting and put the hunt back into the game?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check Gunsamerica.com. There was one on there just a few days ago, pretty good price if I remember right.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hawk_Driver, sent you a PM. BT53

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

P
P
I just mounted a Burris scout scope on the Wild West Guns mount with QD rings on my XTR .356 (no safety, non rebounding hammer, monte carlo version). This combo has about the rear one inch of the scope over the chamber...... I really expected & prefer the whole scope ahead of the chamber, and would definitely check for this before doing it again.... The scope forward mount is a great idea IMHO for scoping a Lever & I'll have to see if I like what I got. Otherwse, I really prefer good receiver sights on Levers. Hope this helps.

John

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when our footprints are on the moon!
President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
POOHGYRR (AKA John) Could you explain a little better- maybe a Pic- of this arrangement
as I also want to mount a scout type scope on my 94 in 356. what mount model
and how is mounted does it it use the grove for the rear sight. any help and
suggestions will be apreciated. Cheers NC (Don)

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
P
P
northcountry,
I'll need a day or so for pictures.

We used the mount & QD rings setup (http://www.wildwestguns.com/Accessories/Scout_base_and_ring_Kits-big.jpg) sold by Wild West Guns (www.wildwestguns.com), with a Burris scout scope. This mount is meant to be indexed over the rear sight groove.

Apparently Winchester doesn't put this rear sight groove in the same spot for the different M94s, and mine is closer than both WWGs & Burris' mounts were designed for. There should be an easy fix, I just have to go back & talk to my 'smith.

Right now, the back part of my scope is right above the front part of the chamber. This isn't a problem, except the eye relief makes me hold my face further back than I want.

Your .356 might not even have this problem. I should post a pic this weekend, or email me if I don't get it done by then.

Also, FWIW, some folks are able to use regular .308 brass (necked up to .35 cal) for thie Winnie .356's....

John

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when our footprints are on the moon!
President JFK 20 Jan 1961: “the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.”
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great caliber!! Simply a slightly downloaded .358 Winchester, with roundnose bullets. Use it as you would a .358. Great for anchoring whitetails, adequate for elk in timber, and I've yet to hear of an inaccurate BigBore .356. Jacketed bullets, cast bullets, light bullets, heavy bullets, all work well. If you only have one gun, it should be a .356.

Bob

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Alrighty, another .356 loony!

I have a pre-safety Win BB in .356 that's the dingo's danglies.
I've loaded rounds and shot it a bit, but haven't taken any game with it. I added a Decellerator, a Williams peep sight, did an action job, and rounded/re-blued the sharp edges on the lever.

It's a cool caliber that should be very effective. Mine likes the 200gr Core-Lokt RN and the 220 FP Speer with H322. Despite reading about others' success, mine will not feed 358 brass.

Good luck and enjoy the medium-bore goodness.

KS

.-- - ..-. ..--..
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Anyone have a 94 XTR in 375 Win?

Found one with a 1/2 tube magazine and 500 brass, dies, bullets, peep. VGC for $475.

is it worth it?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't recall them building one in half mag. But if everything is good on it the price would be great especially with all the included goodies

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (222Sako, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,719 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,643
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.