Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When I got here the kindling wood was still just starting to burn , and it seems the place has really changed - and not for the better . I checked out the Sticky at the top of this forum that contains a bunch of old threads to see if the changes were a figment of my imagination . Here is one :

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19112#Post19112

It is the second one under " Reloading " and I picked it because I remember it well , having started it .The reason I chose it to examine was that it was extremly contentious for the time . It deals with measuring case head expansion to establish safe pressures .

I don't expect anybody to read it , but I'll tell you some remarkable things about it in comparison with nowadays :

It took six weeks to get to two pages and had fifteen different posters .

Passions ran very high , but nobody was ridiculed .

All the input was from experiences of the posters . No cut and paste .

A lot of information was shared and everybody pretty much stuck to the topic .

There were no " gangs " or " cliques " . Each man spoke for himself .

It's not my imagination ; the campfire was a kinder , gentler place .

Now I have a question for those of you who visit sites other than tnis one :

Has the whole internet become coarser and more vulgar in these last nine or so years ? Or is it just the 'fire ?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Has the whole internet become coarser and more vulgar in these last nine or so years ? Or is it just the 'fire ?

It's the whole damn world not just the internet, but the internet has been the most abused part.
With total anonymity groups of so called adults can act like complete asshats. And yes I know I can be in that boat from time to time...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Seems to me that everyone was somewhat kinder and gentler in our society for a period after 9/11... but we quickly reverted to form.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both sides now have zero tolerance for opposing opinion. It isn't enough to disagree with somebody anymore, it must be taken further. As goes 24hr, so goes the country.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first time I witnessed it there was no internet, better decades passed by and it happened again. Both were driven by contentious political campaigns that divided everything from families to the nation. Rest assured if we go to war again, you'll see it escalate one more time.

My dad said it was the same in his lifetime, the difference being people now have instant communication and the politicians and press don't have the sway they once did.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The thread was prior to 9 11 .

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was just making an observation about society during/after 9/11... apart from the thread.

Guess I'll have to shoot you now. wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not with a push feed , I hope !grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Both sides now have zero tolerance for opposing opinion. It isn't enough to disagree with somebody anymore, it must be taken further. As goes 24hr, so goes the country.

I only started frequenting the "hunter's campfire" recently. It is no place to roast marsh mellows or get warm. It should be renamed the "saloon" where almost anything goes. Outside of the "hunters campfire", the forum members seem much more hospitable.

Last edited by rkamp; 02/03/10.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I was just making an observation about society during/after 9/11... apart from the thread.

Guess I'll have to shoot you now. wink

Curdogs can be pretty tough. Better use a premium boolit laugh.

IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The fire was a kinder place before 5K.

At 15K (registered users) it became coarser.

The economy also sucks, and the POTUS is a poser, so tensions are higher.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BMT
The fire was a kinder place before 5K.

At 15K (registered users) it became coarser.
I think there's something to that. In the old days, I could disagree with the majority here on something and there wasn't the instant pile on that there is now. You could disagree and still remain friendly. It changed a couple of years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
no, it didn't. shut up. I hate you.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I first started using the net in 1991 or so... It was a whole other thing then. The first "coarsening" happened when AOL brought in the unwashed masses... It went downhill from there.

I do agree with BMT that the economy is part of it. I'm guilty of venting stress here. I suspect others are too.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
no, it didn't. shut up. I hate you.
See??? See what I mean??? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ROTFL Steve

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It was right around the time 700LH came along that things changed for the worse.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You are correct. When you got here it was a kinder, gentler Campfire. There was tolerance for opposing views. For instance, Rockie Rehab is of the opinion you need to crimp 22 hornet reloads to get even pressures and tight groups. I have never crimped 22 hornets and only neck size about a quarter inch of the neck. I still have a target I shot at 200 yards, a five shot group loaded with bullets I swaged at home and shot with my 14"contender. It measures 3/8 inch center to center. It works for me. Does that mean Rockie is wrong. Not on your life would I ever make such a statement. He knows more about shooting and reloading than I ever will. I respect his views it is just that my findings differ from his. It is one of the things that make shooting and reloading so much fun, there is always more to learn and every rule seems to have multipal exceptions.

If I were to challenge Rockie on his findings it could start a small war amongst some here, not Rockie as I believe him to be a gentleman but some would be willing to fight to the internet death even though they may never have heard of a 22 hornet let alone fired one.

There was less profanity and no nudity in the old days. I would be willing to go back to those ways in a heartbeat even though I have been guilty of posting some colorful language and jokes.

On the plus side, there are still a huge group of wonderful, caring, generous people here who will help, support and encourage at the drop of a hat. We should not overlook all the good that happens here.

Generally I try not to get sucked into the ugly side of the blowups that happen here. There are posts I will not open. There are replies from some here I will not read. But once in a while I fall pray and get sucked in.

If several of us would try to set the tone here in the direction of the early days then it might slowly change some of the uglier side of some posts. Or maybe we are just dreaming.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It should be renamed the "saloon" where almost anything goes.

I've opted to not use a signature line, but this has me tempted.

"24 Hour Campfire Saloon"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Not real sure whether the Internet is a Boon or a Bane ...

But whatever ones "Expectations" ... things NEVER remain the same.

We can still however, choose our OWN personal course, and freely participate, or not ... in many of life's enticing but sometimes troublesome matters.

The Ol' Campfire DOES seem to be over-heating as of late ... but I can only worry about myself - as far as getting MY asz burned.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1lesfox, 1badf350, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,066
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.