Home
When I got here the kindling wood was still just starting to burn , and it seems the place has really changed - and not for the better . I checked out the Sticky at the top of this forum that contains a bunch of old threads to see if the changes were a figment of my imagination . Here is one :

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19112#Post19112

It is the second one under " Reloading " and I picked it because I remember it well , having started it .The reason I chose it to examine was that it was extremly contentious for the time . It deals with measuring case head expansion to establish safe pressures .

I don't expect anybody to read it , but I'll tell you some remarkable things about it in comparison with nowadays :

It took six weeks to get to two pages and had fifteen different posters .

Passions ran very high , but nobody was ridiculed .

All the input was from experiences of the posters . No cut and paste .

A lot of information was shared and everybody pretty much stuck to the topic .

There were no " gangs " or " cliques " . Each man spoke for himself .

It's not my imagination ; the campfire was a kinder , gentler place .

Now I have a question for those of you who visit sites other than tnis one :

Has the whole internet become coarser and more vulgar in these last nine or so years ? Or is it just the 'fire ?
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Has the whole internet become coarser and more vulgar in these last nine or so years ? Or is it just the 'fire ?

It's the whole damn world not just the internet, but the internet has been the most abused part.
With total anonymity groups of so called adults can act like complete asshats. And yes I know I can be in that boat from time to time...
Seems to me that everyone was somewhat kinder and gentler in our society for a period after 9/11... but we quickly reverted to form.
Both sides now have zero tolerance for opposing opinion. It isn't enough to disagree with somebody anymore, it must be taken further. As goes 24hr, so goes the country.
The first time I witnessed it there was no internet, better decades passed by and it happened again. Both were driven by contentious political campaigns that divided everything from families to the nation. Rest assured if we go to war again, you'll see it escalate one more time.

My dad said it was the same in his lifetime, the difference being people now have instant communication and the politicians and press don't have the sway they once did.
The thread was prior to 9 11 .
I was just making an observation about society during/after 9/11... apart from the thread.

Guess I'll have to shoot you now. wink
Not with a push feed , I hope !grin
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Both sides now have zero tolerance for opposing opinion. It isn't enough to disagree with somebody anymore, it must be taken further. As goes 24hr, so goes the country.

I only started frequenting the "hunter's campfire" recently. It is no place to roast marsh mellows or get warm. It should be renamed the "saloon" where almost anything goes. Outside of the "hunters campfire", the forum members seem much more hospitable.
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I was just making an observation about society during/after 9/11... apart from the thread.

Guess I'll have to shoot you now. wink

Curdogs can be pretty tough. Better use a premium boolit laugh.
The fire was a kinder place before 5K.

At 15K (registered users) it became coarser.

The economy also sucks, and the POTUS is a poser, so tensions are higher.

BMT
Originally Posted by BMT
The fire was a kinder place before 5K.

I think there's something to that. In the old days, I could disagree with the majority here on something and there wasn't the instant pile on that there is now. You could disagree and still remain friendly. It changed a couple of years ago.
no, it didn't. shut up. I hate you.
I first started using the net in 1991 or so... It was a whole other thing then. The first "coarsening" happened when AOL brought in the unwashed masses... It went downhill from there.

I do agree with BMT that the economy is part of it. I'm guilty of venting stress here. I suspect others are too.
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
See??? See what I mean??? grin
ROTFL Steve
It was right around the time 700LH came along that things changed for the worse.
You are correct. When you got here it was a kinder, gentler Campfire. There was tolerance for opposing views. For instance, Rockie Rehab is of the opinion you need to crimp 22 hornet reloads to get even pressures and tight groups. I have never crimped 22 hornets and only neck size about a quarter inch of the neck. I still have a target I shot at 200 yards, a five shot group loaded with bullets I swaged at home and shot with my 14"contender. It measures 3/8 inch center to center. It works for me. Does that mean Rockie is wrong. Not on your life would I ever make such a statement. He knows more about shooting and reloading than I ever will. I respect his views it is just that my findings differ from his. It is one of the things that make shooting and reloading so much fun, there is always more to learn and every rule seems to have multipal exceptions.

If I were to challenge Rockie on his findings it could start a small war amongst some here, not Rockie as I believe him to be a gentleman but some would be willing to fight to the internet death even though they may never have heard of a 22 hornet let alone fired one.

There was less profanity and no nudity in the old days. I would be willing to go back to those ways in a heartbeat even though I have been guilty of posting some colorful language and jokes.

On the plus side, there are still a huge group of wonderful, caring, generous people here who will help, support and encourage at the drop of a hat. We should not overlook all the good that happens here.

Generally I try not to get sucked into the ugly side of the blowups that happen here. There are posts I will not open. There are replies from some here I will not read. But once in a while I fall pray and get sucked in.

If several of us would try to set the tone here in the direction of the early days then it might slowly change some of the uglier side of some posts. Or maybe we are just dreaming.
It should be renamed the "saloon" where almost anything goes.

I've opted to not use a signature line, but this has me tempted.

"24 Hour Campfire Saloon"

Not real sure whether the Internet is a Boon or a Bane ...

But whatever ones "Expectations" ... things NEVER remain the same.

We can still however, choose our OWN personal course, and freely participate, or not ... in many of life's enticing but sometimes troublesome matters.

The Ol' Campfire DOES seem to be over-heating as of late ... but I can only worry about myself - as far as getting MY asz burned.

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I first started using the net in 1991 or so... It was a whole other thing then. The first "coarsening" happened when AOL brought in the unwashed masses... It went downhill from there.

I do agree with BMT that the economy is part of it. I'm guilty of venting stress here. I suspect others are too.
I'm still on CompuServe. What's this AOL thing you speak of? Something new?
Originally Posted by rkamp

I only started frequenting the "hunter's campfire" recently. It is no place to roast marsh mellows or get warm. It should be renamed the "saloon" where almost anything goes. Outside of the "hunters campfire", the forum members seem much more hospitable.

laugh I like it, we should rename this room the saloon.

As far as the "nudity" issue ...

I ALWAYS take all my clothes off, before I log-in.
Originally Posted by P_Weed

As far as the "nudity" issue ...

I ALWAYS take all my clothes off, before I log-in.

TMI TMI TMI
I have yet to find a kind or gentle thing, with regard to life. I suppose it comes with breathing...
I have been an observer of several other Huntin sites for years. It always seemed to me that the fire was the roughest sandbox. I respond in kind, and would choose to be as civil as any member chooses to be.
Originally Posted by BMT

WTF have the other 14,985 done to make it "coarser"?
Perhaps it's the natural progression of things as they grow larger. We've all seen it happen with small schools, small clubs, small business, small towns, and even small churches as they grew bigger.

Probably occurs with internet forums too.
It's a sign of the times, friend: and the love of many shall wax cold.

Give it a few more years and these days will seem like a church picnic.
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

TFF
Yeah, well he was a friend of mine, too, man. But he's dead. And that's the way it goes when you're a soldier. You just bite the damn bullet and move on. Man, right now, we just gotta figure some way to get out of this place and get on with the damn mission.
*shrugg*,...I dunno,...the place hasn't started makin' me cry myself to sleep every night, er nuthin'.

It's just da innanet.
Originally Posted by HoundGirl
I have yet to find a kind or gentle thing, with regard to life. I suppose it comes with breathing...! and wearing a short skirt and high heels, and having to deal with all you boys here

I Agree. whistle
the skirt and high heels part?

Numbers. The more people involved, the meaner it gets. We generally accept people we know and crap on people we don't.

Sez a lot for the race in general
Did you really mean to say "race"

....or did you actually mean "species" ?

GTC
as in human...

good post on AZ, that is...good on Utah, too
I lurked here for years, using the search button to find out "answers" to questions, then I realized I was smarter than everyone here except for Lee24 and I had better get on board and straighten you bassturds out. Your welcome.

Of course its also possible that it's the tail edn of a longish winter and everyones getting alittle cooped up feeling- and of course since everyone is out of work now they have more time on thier hands to treat each other poorly and less money to go hunting, fishing, drinking togehter...
Let's see... you're in Texas? 257 Wby Mag with 120-grain Nosler Partitions should fit in down there... or we'll just make you retrieve downed quail in that nasty South Texas brush. Your choice. wink

Hmmmm. Saloon. I kinda like that. Maybe we should get Rick to rename the hunter's campfire. Crazed old farts' Saloon really would be more accurate.

rkamp - I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of the guys are harmless. I'm not too sure about curdog and Gringo Loco, though. You know how those Texans can be... I often remind my wife (who is from Texas) that there is no native American criminal class... except Texans. Oddly, she fails to see the humor in the statement.
BLOW ME.
When I got here the kindling wood was still just starting to burn , and it seems the place has really changed - and not for the better .

The reality is this is Rick's site and he moderates it to his standards.
Ah, another Texan rushing to the Alamo. You lose your sense of humor somewhere? Can't recognize good-natured ribbing when you see it, or what? I'm glad all my very good friends in Texas don't have that problem.
Sorry, I forgot the smilies. Bob
That's OK. My wife sometimes forgets the smiles, too, when I crack Texas jokes. I can't help it. There's just soooo much material to work with...

My last hunt in South Texas was on a ranch owned by six partners. All but one were U of T grads. The exception was a Texas A&M guy. Well, UT wasn't having a very good year in football that season, so the A&M guy and me snuck out in the middle of the night and lowered the UT flag, which flew from a flagpole in front of the hunting lodge, to half mast. Great howls of outrage the next morning. Best part of all... they immediately blamed and ganged up on the A&M guy.
That's funny. Now that we're friends you can blow me. cool cool cool laugh Bob
And Sitka Deer too. laugh laugh laugh
Damned crazy-arse Texicans are all the same... all dressed up and no place to go. You keep talking like that and they may adopt you in San Francisco. wink

laugh I like it, we should rename this room the saloon.

I noticed the kids forum is hats off and feet wiped as it should be. Maybe a "saloon" forum would help congregate those in a surly mood who want to discuss politics, religion, sports, and wolf's in an more off the cuff and vibrant manner. How many times have you been out with your family and seen some jerk cussing and carrying on at a ball game or restaurant? With a "Saloon" in place the "hunters campfire" could gain back it's PG rating.
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Let's see... you're in Texas? 257 Wby Mag with 120-grain Nosler Partitions should fit in down there... or we'll just make you retrieve downed quail in that nasty South Texas brush. Your choice. wink

Hmmmm. Saloon. I kinda like that. Maybe we should get Rick to rename the hunter's campfire. Crazed old farts' Saloon really would be more accurate.

rkamp - I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of the guys are harmless. I'm not too sure about curdog and Gringo Loco, though. You know how those Texans can be... I often remind my wife (who is from Texas) that there is no native American criminal class... except Texans. Oddly, she fails to see the humor in the statement.

Yes most of the people are real nice and passionate in their beliefs. If you ain't marching to a beat, there's something wrong.
Watch it buddy, I can borrow a scathing wit if I need to.

You could wind up being called a sandy clam or worse. Bob
Originally Posted by 86thecat
When I got here the kindling wood was still just starting to burn , and it seems the place has really changed - and not for the better .

The reality is this is Rick's site and he moderates it to his standards.

Who is this Rick? I hope his birthday is remembered and gifts sent.
[quote=Kentucky_Windage]Let's see... you're in Texas? 257 Wby Mag with 120-grain Nosler Partitions should fit in down there... or we'll just make you retrieve downed quail in that nasty South Texas brush. Your choice. wink

Yes most of the people are real nice and passionate in their beliefs. If you ain't marching to a beat, there's something wrong.
Not everyone likes my views.
I don't nessecarily like everyone elses views.
I try to keep it civil,(unless I "know" the person and can joke with them), but many others do not.
That is what the "ignore this user" option is for.
It works real well.
LOTS of folks here that seemingly don't hunt nor shoot. Can't fathom where all the folks that want to talk Religion and Politics all came from or if the know which is the pointy end of a rifle.

And then you have a group that are just like JO and are what is wrong with this country. To many damn liberals and enough folks to kiss their ass.

Just saying.
That was neither kind nor gentle.....guess some times that's just the way it is with the truth
Seems the real downfall, especially to this part of the forum, was when Christ At The Campfire section was nuked.

CATC was a guiding light and a constant beacon of good will and love.
the lord bless you and keep you. amen
Back in the day I was a bartender at Stasius' Bar in Northeast Minneapolis - University Avenue and Lowry. Maybe I've thrown out some of the Campfire's Minnesota contingent. smirk

On weeknights it was a neighborhood and working man's bar. Things could get rough, but that was part of the appeal. On weekends the place could be a zoo, but again, most of the crowd was out for a good time.

Sunday night wasn't as busy, but it was the worst night of the week. There were the same number of azzhats, but the neighborhood folks and working guys mostly stayed home. There wasn't any dilution factor, just one azzhat after another with no entertainment sandwiched between them.

The Hunter's Campfire is Sunday night at Stasius. There aren't more azzhats here, just the ratio has changed. The good guys tend to stay at the other forums.
JMHO, but it's always the worst in the midst of winter..

Once it warms up, it seems people chill out a bit more..

But part of it stems from some true instigators - those few that post in such ways as to spark negative attacks.. A simple solution is to avoid 'em like the plague..

BTDT..
I'm sure saloons have changed in the 25 years since they were my second home . Actually , Texas had beer joints and package sales only until after I was grown .

I didn't learn to play nice in Sunday School - I learned it in " saloons " , and a lot of the verbal behaviour [ the only sort of behaviour possible on the innanet ] was not tolerated back then .

If the bouncer or owner didn't get to you before some husband or boyfriend , you were gonna run or fight .Either way , you would get a lesson .

So I would not be in favor of a name change .

The date shown in my profile is late by a few months . I followed 'Stick over here from Shooters like most others . I posted under my old Shooters handle until Ken Howell came on board under his real name . So I started posting under my real name also . Worked until an ex tracked me down .

Does anyone remember how many forums we had then ? There weren't very many as I recall , but I sure ain't the official historian .
A lot of us old timers are refugees from the old Shooters.com meltdown, now that place got rough!

This place is really pretty cool save a few johnny-come-lately's that worship the libertard point of view and think push feed rifles are really shooting irons when in reality they are nothing more than expensive tomato stakes. smile smile smile
The behavior of any internet discussion forum is dependent on a the members.
A forum, just like any other grouping of humans, is NOT static. Membership tends to be pretty homogeneous when it starts. A few like minded folks getting together to discuss common interests.
As time goes by, different folks, with different outlooks join.
The 'flavor' of the forum, if you will, starts to change.

One of the few constants in life, is that there is nothing static, unless it is moribund.
It's all the fault of Lee24.
There were no " gangs " or " cliques " . Each man spoke for himself .

On this particular site, this is definitely an issue.

You have someone that starts trouble, and his cronies instantly pile on.

There are/were/will be a few notorious posters, that seem to do nothing but cause trouble, and a whole flock of hangers-on will egg them on for more, just encouraging the bad behavior and causing more divisions on the boards.

Or somebody finds himself at odds with another poster, and suddenly is ostracized by everybody, because one of the two is more "popular" in the club.

It's sometimes almost humorous. You can usually predict in advance who is going to come to each other's "aid".
He invented and engineered dischord.....

Ingwe
I blame it on the Californians.
They ruin everything.
laugh
I haven't been here very long, but I quickly realized you had to be able to defend yourself or you would be shark chum.

JM
Originally Posted by Steelhead
LOTS of folks here that seemingly don't hunt nor shoot. Can't fathom where all the folks that want to talk Religion and Politics all came from or if the know which is the pointy end of a rifle.

And then you have a group that are just like JO and are what is wrong with this country. To many damn liberals and enough folks to kiss their ass.

Just saying.
"

I ain't never been important enough to get involved in a real messy deal here . But I can tell you that in all these years , the only resentment that lasted more than a day was when a guy questioned my credentials as a hunter/shooter with no evidence to back up his claim . It still pisses me off when I think about it !

So I would tread lightly in that direction , Scott .

Having said that , one poster told me he didn't own a firearm and hadn't ever been a hunter so you are partially correct . The info was unsolicited and came via PM so it stays private .
Originally Posted by ColdBore
On this particular site, this is definitely an issue.

You have someone that starts trouble, and his cronies instantly pile on.

There are/were/will be a few notorious posters, that seem to do nothing but cause trouble, and a whole flock of hangers-on will egg them on for more, just encouraging the bad behavior and causing more divisions on the boards.

Or somebody finds himself at odds with another poster, and suddenly is ostracized by everybody, because one of the two is more "popular" in the club.

It's sometimes almost humorous. You can usually predict in advance who is going to come to each other's "aid".
Generally, though, it's only the neanderthals who engage in the kind of behavior you're describing, so even a non-neanderthal, though he be popular among his own sort, will usually find that he's on his own when being piled on.
What was it Gringo Loco said? "MPH syndrome"...still cracks me up.
Me being in the old bunch too I got to say you are right cd. Way different than it used to be since the campfire got big.

BCR
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

Don't start on my brother again..............
I feel it's not so much that the Campfire got big as it is the Internet making this world so much smaller and with news saturation being so instantaneous, opinions related to such news are immediately possible,rather than delayed.

Huge difference in what the Internet has made available and accomplished for us from as little as 10 years ago till now.

10 years ago, guys like Edwards and Sanford and even Congress could have delayed dissemination of facts,knowledge and response by significantly longer periods of time than they can do now.

News, info and opinions toward such are immediate now and when it hits a site such as this, the varied responses are the norm and something peculiarly related to the number of members here.
Originally Posted by isaac
I feel it's not so much that the Campfire got big as it is the Internet making this world so much smaller and with news saturation being so instantaneous, opinions related to such news are immediately possible,rather than delayed.

Huge difference in what the Internet has made available and accomplished for us from as little as 10 years ago till now.

10 years ago, guys like Edwards and Sanford and even Congress could have delayed dissemination of facts,knowledge and response by significantly longer periods of time than they can do now.

News, info and opinions toward such are immediate now and when it hits a site such as this, the varied responses are the norm and something peculiarly related to the number of members here.

You may sure be right about that bud, and the downside is that tempts way too many to go off half cocked before the full story gets out.

We have all seen arguments on here that were really about nothing when more facts came to light.

BCR
The Fire is great the way it is.Rick should be Thanked for that.Now if these Double posting weenies would quit it....
The speciality forums, as a rule, are civil. The one thing that has changed since 2001 is the advent of the Troll. Trolls exist to stir the pot. They are effective in causing chaos, and thrive on animosity.
Originally Posted by JOG
Back in the day I was a bartender at Stasius' Bar in Northeast Minneapolis - University Avenue and Lowry. Maybe I've thrown out some of the Campfire's Minnesota contingent. smirk

shocked shocked
'Tis a small world!
I never got thrown out though. smile
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

Don't start on my brother again..............

OK....OK...but you gotta admit...he engineered dischord... wink

grin
Ingwe
Originally Posted by KCBighorn

It's the whole damn world not just the internet, but the internet has been the most abused part.
With total anonymity groups of so called adults can act like complete asshats. And yes I know I can be in that boat from time to time...

My opinion is this global problem stems from too much electronic communication and interaction. I hope, unrealistic of course, for the days of no electricity and horses to reemerge.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
The Fire is great the way it is.Rick should be Thanked for that.Now if these Double posting weenies would quit it....

We got a saying around here, "the bigger the belt buckle, the smaller the Winer W�srtchen", same goes for tank pictures.

We got a saying around here, "the bigger the belt buckle, the smaller the Winer W�srtchen", same goes for tank pictures.

I love it when you trolls identify yourselves right off. Saves a lot of time and effort. Thanks.
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

I love it when you trolls identify yourselves right off. Saves a lot of time and effort. Thanks.

Cole,
Exactly.

Just saying.

I'm not a liberal, and you can bite me.

Just saying.

--------------------

The degradation on the internet in general, was guys like Steelhead realizing that they could get their kicks anonomously. The internet provided the opportunity, and apparantly the predilection to be an azzhole was already there... and away it went...

First of all, I like war art with pics of tanks and planes and stuff.
Second, I think we need a "squash" feature on here so we can immediately squash any dissenting opinions, trolls and general troublemakers. The only problem I see with that is, there would sit Rick...all alone.
The Campfire is like raising a mule...if you don't let it know when it's done something wrong, it will never know to change. If you beat it everytime it screws up, eventually it will get you back.
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
The Campfire is like raising a mule...if you don't let it know when it's done something wrong, it will never know to change. If you beat it everytime it screws up, eventually it will get you back.

That's classic! grin
Lots of folks only shoot at the easy targets .

Just sayin' .

Just saying.

Just saying.

--------------------

The degradation on the internet in general, was guys like Steelhead realizing that they could get their kicks anonomously. The internet provided the opportunity, and apparantly the predilection to be an azzhole was already there... and away it went...

Actions speak louder than words. You took action when you pulled the lever for Obama. Then you actually admitted it on here. You compounded these two errors by defending your actions. Obama is a liberal's liberal, so it is difficult for many of us to comprehend somebody who claims not to be one, voting for one. You also have repeatedly defended the right to kill unborn children at will. Most folks see abortionists as liberals. I could go on but I won't. I would say, "I think you get the picture", but I don't really think that.

I am not an S Head fan and make no bones about it. I will say that I don't see him as your typical internet tough guy poseur. A bully perhaps, but I am guessing he would say the same stuff to your face that he says on here.
Steelhead and his pack were azzholes to me (and many others) long before the election. You know that.

I didn't vote for Obama. I voted against a Republican party that... well... I've said all this before, let's just let it go.

Regardless, the essence of my statement stands. Some guys just like to raise Cain, and the internet gives them the perfect venue for that.

It's in the kids now too. I have a game on my iPhone that has an online version. I went and checked it out. You wouldn't believe the chat room at that game site. Nothing but profanity and it goes straight to "[bleep]" and worse. I mean used as a racial epitaph. Bad.

Steelhead and his pack were azzholes to me (and many others) long before the election. You know that.

I didn't vote for Obama. I voted against a Republican party that... well... I've said all this before, let's just let it go.

Regardless, the essence of my statement stands. Some guys just like to raise Cain, and the internet gives them the perfect venue for that.

It's in the kids now too. I have a game on my iPhone that has an online version. I went and checked it out. You wouldn't believe the chat room at that game site. Nothing but profanity and it goes straight to "[bleep]" and worse. I mean used as a racial epitaph. Bad.

An epitaph is a short text used to describe and usually honor a dead person. Many times it is inscribed upon their tombstone.

An epithet is a descriptive term or word used to characterize somebody or some thing.
You still voted for Obama, Jeff, just like Dan Stupor. You COULD have left it blank, or written in Nader or Perot or Teddy Roosevelt, fahgawsakes.

The thing about the internet is it has allowed the typical person to interact with a wider range of people, and a wider range of ideas.

But there's a flip side, which is part of the coarsening effect. I'm sure, that for many as it has been for me, it is a bummer to widen my world, only to learn just how many freakin' idiots there are in America! There comes a point where even the most civilized of us decide to call a spade a spade.
When I first joined the Campfire, I immediately pegged a few regular posters here as total [bleep]. Even when I agreed with what they had to say.....I couldn't stand the way they said it or their attitudes.

That veiw hasn't changed much. MOST of the truely nasty threads here are started by....or quickly turned into nasty, personal attacks that have little or nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Want an example.....look at this thread. Discussing why the Campfire has gotten more brutal and nasty......until Steelhead (the ring leader [bleep], by the way) had to make a personal attack on Jeff O.....which Jeff didn't make any better by striking back.

The discussion was about why the Campfire was less gentle than in the past.....had NOTHING to do with who a man voted for in the last election (and "kiss my ass" or "bite me" is NEVER a proper response to anything).

There are maybe 5-6 [bleep] (and if you've been here long coulod name every one of them) on here that stir up most of the trouble and have for years. The difference now is that they have developed a "pack" mentality and gang up on every thread on the "target-of-the day". Maybe Lee24 had something to do with it.....he WAS pretty hard to not attack....but now it seems they have driven Lee from the fire and are looking for the next "victim".

Come on folks.....stick to the subject being discussed......not "pile on" in the attacks. That might be a lot of "fun" and seem right because those [bleep] are very popular (with each other at least), but it reduces the pleasure of being here at the fire. They WILL NOT stop their ways (after all they are "[bleep]").....but you don't have to join in.
Seems to be a lot of I don't like you, you're a bully, lets gang up on the retard, look at the hot chick, she's ugly, you're a pervert, I'm offended by: profanity, jokes, partial nudity, dissenting opinions, etc., etc., look at my wife, you're gay, I'm gonna kick your azz, I'll call the cops... or shoot you, you're on ignore. I'm sure I've missed some of the other dominant topics but you get my drift. Sounds like a bunch of stuffy old b!tches invaded the Campfire.
Originally Posted by TexasRick
When I first joined the Campfire, I immediately pegged a few regular posters here as total [bleep]. Even when I agreed with what they had to say.....I couldn't stand the way they said it or their attitudes.

That veiw hasn't changed much. MOST of the truely nasty threads here are started by....or quickly turned into nasty, personal attacks that have little or nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Want an example.....look at this thread. Discussing why the Campfire has gotten more brutal and nasty......until Steelhead (the ring leader [bleep], by the way) had to make a personal attack on Jeff O.....which Jeff didn't make any better by striking back.

The discussion was about why the Campfire was less gentle than in the past.....had NOTHING to do with who a man voted for in the last election (and "kiss my ass" or "bite me" is NEVER a proper response to anything).

There are maybe 5-6 [bleep] (and if you've been here long coulod name every one of them) on here that stir up most of the trouble and have for years. The difference now is that they have developed a "pack" mentality and gang up on every thread on the "target-of-the day". Maybe Lee24 had something to do with it.....he WAS pretty hard to not attack....but now it seems they have driven Lee from the fire and are looking for the next "victim".

Come on folks.....stick to the subject being discussed......not "pile on" in the attacks. That might be a lot of "fun" and seem right because those [bleep] are very popular (with each other at least), but it reduces the pleasure of being here at the fire. They WILL NOT stop their ways (after all they are "[bleep]").....but you don't have to join in.
I'd love to know what the bleep word was. grin
Originally Posted by ColeYounger

An epitaph is a short text used to describe and usually honor a dead person. Many times it is inscribed upon their tombstone.

An epithet is a descriptive term or word used to characterize somebody or some thing.

Ethan, ya GOTTA stop quoting Jeff O. What the hell good does putting that putsch on ignore do when you quote him? laugh
This has been said before by others but I think it is worth repeating, "Why use the ignore button" Either don't read the thread in first place or just don't reply. Much more effective in my book to have someone post something and to receive no acknowledgement, than to start an endless name calling argument that just empowers trolls. Same goes for people that insult you, just move on, or start a fight if you want, just don't whine about it later.

Just saying.

Yes you are.................. but being a liberal is just simply at the bottom of a long list of Obama voting, scumbag, low life, gut-less, queer loving, baby killing, devil worshiping eccentricities that you possess.

Just saying..........
Well I don't think the Campfire has gotten any courser over the years, I have been here for a little while. Sure there is some heated discussions and some guys like stir the pot a little. Over all its one of the few places on the World Wide Web that I really like. Look we a very diverse group, its like the Taste Great Less Filling issue from the 1970's. Its February and well its not Spring Bear or Turkey season, there is ice fishing if you have ice and not much else. March will be better I will be kicking it off on one of my favorite rivers with the fastest sinking tip fly line and some of my own hand tied wooly buggers. Yep I fly fish too.
Originally Posted by n007
This has been said before by others but I think it is worth repeating, "Why use the ignore button" Either don't read the thread in first place or just don't reply. Much more effective in my book to have someone post something and to receive no acknowledgement, than to start an endless name calling argument that just empowers trolls. Same goes for people that insult you, just move on, or start a fight if you want, just don't whine about it later.

yer name Ethan? laugh
Some enjoy stiring the pot,
some like to pick the easy targets,
some like to pile on certain individuals,
some don't feel safe unless they have a gang,
some like to post pics of half nekkid girls,
some like to have constructive discussions
some like to post humor,
some are conspiracy theorists,
some actually enjoy hunting and shooting

and some like to bitch about all of the above. At times we can all be a little of each or at least enjoy it.
TexasDick is another one that was easy to read sign on. Funny how a moron gets pissed off for being called a moron.

I've yet to be wrong lots of folks gave me grief about calling JO a POS years ago, and I ain't been wrong and stick to my guns.

You're a moron, and worse- you are smart enough to NOT be one. But you still are, by choice. It's kind of the point of this thread.

Staying young at heart is admirable. Staying young in terms of how you act socially, not so much.

I don't believe its just the Campfire. I belong to a large SCI chapter & of course everyone is a volunteer. In the last several years with email it seems attitudes have changed. Some members of committees or the board send blanket emails to others that are not involved in an issue, refuse to cooperate with others, & send copies of confidential internal emails to outsiders. Rather than pick up a phone & deal with someone its easier to spew a rash of emails & beat a topic to death. In many ways email is the worse thing to happen to communication. Internet chat sites are still worse since everyone is anonymous. Its a lot easier to say insulting remarks to someone that is not present. I'm an old man nearly 70, but 20-30 years ago if someone told me to my face blow me or screw you one of us would have his a$$ whipped. I'm not so sure if it happened today I might not still take a swing. Its seems being insulting is a way to gain status. I stay away from controversy with the Campfire, because I really don't give a damn whether others agree or disagree.

Staying young at heart is admirable. Staying young in terms of how you act socially, not so much.

Pot calling the kettle black...
How bout some more mangina threads?
You're a moron, and worse- you are smart enough to NOT be one. But you still are, by choice. It's kind of the point of this thread.

Now playing, the "holier than thou" victim. Just saying....
If aliens landed on earth with the purpose to see if the human race should be allowed to live......I wouldn't want them to look here.....not alot positive most of the time.
Ain't the first time & won't be the last...just the way J.O. rolls.
One look at your sig line kind of makes your posts on this subject a bit laughable, Middlefork.

Toltec, you've played Robin to Steelhead's Batman enough times that it's just flat truth to say you've contributed significantly to whatever "coursening" has occurred around here. I'll grant you that you've toned it down in the last 6 months.
You invented laughable.
The only reason I've stepped back, and I have, is that you have been doing such a great job proving yourself an azzhat without any help from me. Witness your disastrous mangina threads. What a dope.

Steely makes me mad too. I figured out you were an azzhat long before he did and he refuses to admit it. ..laughin' (for TRH)
C'mon guys, you know better. wink

[Linked Image]
Sorry Les...(Grin)

Same goes for [bleep] in Texas but don't see me sniping your posts.
My blood pressure has dropped 20 points since I quite even glimpsing his stuff. grin

Same for [bleep] in Texas but don't see me sniping your posts.

I dig the tanks pics, sure would like to see a few with the Afrika Korps markings!
because I really don't give a damn whether others agree or disagree.

I disagree...yes you do!!

Blow me and screw you gets said to me countless times during a day in my type of practice. And, that's before I've even left the house. You were a big time electrical contractor working the DC metro area,Ted. I can't imagine your days were spent with the likes of Eddie Haskell!!

JO...."coursening"????
Okay, Bob, I'll stop calling you in the morning. grin
One for ya Les..
[Linked Image]
I don't want you to do that,Griz. I just want you to wait till my daughters had me the phone first before you let it rip!!

I shouldn't have to explain some things to them!!
Did you build that one, good job if so. cool
No Sir took it off the net.
Ah, still cool!
The 'fire has gone through many "Phases". Right now we're going through a duplicate name, troll phase. People coming in with a close copy of a member and non-stop trolling. It was the same at an old Yahoo chat room. "The Gun Cabinet". There would be "packs" of copycats and they would raise hell for a while.

I recognize some old timers from there, here. Eventually they get bored or banned and some new twist of internet tomfoolery "Ruins" the kind, gentle crackling of 'fire.

Just throw on some [bleep] gas and step back a couple of steps. It's the internet, trying to tame it to some utopic, gurgling brook ain't gonna happen.

Laugh at the funny chit, get pizzed off at the stupid chit, throw some gas, ignore trolls, kick trolls in the nuts, learn the good chit, reload some boolits, kill some chit & go about yer business. Repeat as necessary. YMMV, [bleep]. grin
Working on buying a little motorized Tiger Tank as we speak.
Originally Posted by DPole
Originally Posted by JOG

shocked shocked
'Tis a small world!
I never got thrown out though. smile

Yeah right, that's what they all say. wink

"Hey, aren't you the guy I 86'd last Sunday?"

"No way man, wasn't me."
Very nice touch on your keyboard,olufinn!
Originally Posted by kraky111
If aliens landed on earth with the purpose to see if the human race should be allowed to live......I wouldn't want them to look here.....not alot positive most of the time.

ever think a lot of that is just a normal reaction to the scheit you post? laugh
It took seven hours, two dictionaries, a thesaurus, spell check and a six twelve pack... Got 'er done! Nap time. cool
Hey oulufinn... how'd that X-mark trigger I sold you to mess with work out?
Still haven't even messed with it. I need to get the loading room unfooked to even find it! One of these days.

Same goes for [bleep] in Texas but don't see me sniping your posts.

Sorry, I made a duplicate post on this topic, and thought you were referring to me as "double posting weenie". I can see now that you are referring to people who post under two different names.

Yup..Call it no harm no foul.
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Did you build that one, good job if so. cool

My guess is that's one of those miniatures they sell at Wal Mart. No offense intended. They've got some mass-produced toys now that model lots of different WWII units across almost all armies that participated. I've gotten my boy a few of them. They are amazing. No doubt painted with lead-based paint by some Chinaman who is a virtual slave, but nice items nonetheless.
crazy Best I can tell, appears some members parents failed them severely. Good manners seldom show up in their post.
Best to think on it a spell before you call a fellow member something other than his/her name. A 500 mile drive is nothing to an unstable who is determined on dealing out a little grief. None of us would be difficult to locate. GW

Kinder, gentler is not bad. We all need to get-along and have respect for each other. Kinda like road rage, do all you can to share the road. I think Mr. Rick has told us to share the road. The thursday nite porn thread disappearance is one example. The campfire is a better place to hangout.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TexasRick

This proves to me what an azzhole you really are, my very first topic I posted you jumped all over my [bleep]. If you think there are 5-6 azzholes I think you missed the most obvious one, your reflection in the mirror in the morning. [bleep] you
That's just classic. laffin
shocked

That's gotta hurt!
My first post on the campfire concerned the buildup to the Iraq war and why I thought it was all a buncha hooey.

It caused a veritable pekkerhead stampede!

I've been a fan ever since.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
My first post on the campfire concerned the buildup to the Iraq war and why I thought it was all a buncha hooey.
I bet I was right there with you. At least if I saw the thread, I was.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

It wasn't long after Katrina.

Steve NO got so worked up that he took a break from walking the perimeter with an AR 15 to get on line and rant at me.

Bart got worked up too,...started thrashing around and they had to push a tongue depressor between his teeth.
And you have no choice but to be a moron, damn shame you spawned.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

It wasn't long after Katrina.

Steve NO got so worked up that he took a break from walking the perimeter with an AR 15 to get on line and rant at me.

Bart got worked up too,...started thrashing around and they had to push a tongue depressor between his teeth.
laugh I can just picture it.

It caused a veritable pekkerhead stampede!

I've been a fan ever since.

I always get a kick out of your posts, Bristoe, even when I don't agree with what you are saying.

You have a way with words, that is for certain.

grin
There's any number of heavily moderated forums on the internet.

They usually have 5 thumb sucking moderators present and one guest.

They usually have 5 thumb sucking members present and one guest.

The 'Campfire makes any other forum I have ever been on seem heavily moderated.
All things considered, I prefer Rick's approach.

I've been active on a number of forums through the years.

Some are formed as nothing more than venues for their owners to exercise what they perceive to be control. They never get very far.

One forum that I still occasionally check into used to be very active,...then they added a bunch of moderators who spend their time doing nothing but looking for something to moderate.

It's pretty much a ghost town now.

You can't "shape" a forum to a certain type of individual and have it gain wide appeal.

Some people are too sensitive to participate in lightly moderated forums. They need to go join the thumbsuckers and leave this place alone.

Its success speaks for itself.
Originally Posted by 340boy

They usually have 5 thumb sucking members present and one guest.

The 'Campfire makes any other forum I have ever been on seem heavily moderated.
All things considered, I prefer Rick's approach.

Same here.
I remember when HG showed up, guys drooling, sending her stuff, she had em eating outa her hand.

then she got called on it, HARD, maybe over the top.

it ain't ever fun to be on the receiving end of a tirade

but there's some here that could learn a lot about growin a set and developin some thicker skin..........from a chick

just sayin
Somehow the topic got to be whether folks liked the 'fire the way it is . The fact that I don't go anywhere else puts me in the bunch that likes it .

I think my question has been answered , and it's " All of the above " .

The whole country has changed .

The internet has changed .

The Campfire has changed .

I'm personally of the opinion that the changes have not all been in the right direction .

Those of you who can't compare the " old campfire " to what it is today because you weren't here can skim thru the link I posted and compare .
Originally Posted by kraky111
If aliens landed on earth with the purpose to see if the human race should be allowed to live

Yeah, that one scares me. whistle

,..and gotten much larger.

,..and gotten much larger.
Reminds me of the Yogi Berra quote. A bunch of the Yankees were deciding which restaurant to go to. One Yankee suggested one that they had all liked in the past. Yogi said, "No, nobody goes there anymore. It's always too crowded."
Seems the real downfall, especially to this part of the forum, was when Christ At The Campfire section was nuked.

CATC was a guiding light and a constant beacon of good will and love.

Not THAT was funny! laugh

The number of pleasant, educational, and entertaining threads outnumbers the contentious threads by a substantial margin.

For instance, this thread from the Africa forum while placed there (it's actually about prepping a problem 30-06 for Africa) covers a wide variety of subjects. The exchanges are fun, informative with great photography, and the tangents are acceptable because they are entertaining.

It's a positive and enthusiastic discussion without any fussing. There's a wealth of info on loadings, bedding, different game animals (even dogs and American game), different rifles and shotguns, with the addition of a gun mag writer to confirm some facts. Several experienced hunters with varied backgrounds and experiences who reload and have tinkered with numerous guns contribute.

Did I mention good photography?

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3681876/1

If the Hunter's Campfire bothers you too much sometimes with it's political and social issues, take a break and go to another forum at 24 Hour where it's educational and fun to just read sometimes.

Steelie is in this one, too, and is just plum "exuberant."

© 24hourcampfire