Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
In anticipation of our Namibian adventure, my dad saw the wisdom of buying a new gun for the trip. It is really a beauty, too.

The first two groups were less than inspiring. 57.5 gr H4350 and 165gr Hornady SPBT's (not the bullet he'll use on game) gave two 3 shot groups at 1.75". These are the only thing I've tried so far, so we have a ways to go. I've checked all the normal bedding and screw torque issues and there's nothing wrong in this regard. The thing does have a pretty significant pressure point and it has a throat that's reminiscent of Weatherby free bore. Anyway, I'll keep playing with loads, but I'm thinking if I don't see results in about 50 rounds or so, I'll remove the pressure point.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't imagine not bedding it and killing the pressure point.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well, I'll tell you, if it were my gun, I would have likely removed it and resealed the stock before I shot it. I really don't like pressure points on walnut stocks. I talked to my dad about it today and he told me to have at it if doesn't improve.

Going to try 168 gr TSX later this weekend and see if it improves.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep...Ive got a Remington M7 I was having a LOT of trouble getting to shoot ( I usually don't mess with anything unless its dire...)
Finally in frustration I asked JB if he thought I should hog out the pressure point and free float it...??

His answer..." You havent done that yet?..."

'bout all I needed to hear... grin

It worked...

In fact..it went to Namibia...22-250

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are on the right track two ways. 1) rebed in tried and true fashion and 2) 168gr TSX's

I will be surprised if this combo does not shoot well and work even better.

Good luck and good hunting!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pleae don't think I dumb, but I'm still not for sure what area you guys are referring to when you talk about pressure points? Is this where the tip of the fore end touches the barrel or some other area?
I just never really learned all the different terms.

Only reason I ask is I have the exact same gun (bought brand new), and it will shoot consistant MOA. Only thing I've ever used though is Winchester 150gr Silver Tips.

I did check mine and I can slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock from the swivel pin to the action, and then from swivel pin out the front. Came straight from the factory like this.

He went over yonder way
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hi. A man asks questions to learn. The point where you can't fit the dollar bill is the pressure point. If your gun is like this one, its about 2 inches from the end of the forend. In general the pressure point is used to help tune the vibrations of the barrel such that it would improve accuracy and provide a source of stability. Elmer Keith once claimed that "free floating is for the birds. I'd much rather have some up push at the end of the barrel." I'm a great admirer of Keith, but I figure he wrote this about stocks that tended to greatly warp. Keith's opinion is not my experience (but then again, I doubt I ever shot near the number of guns he did).

Anyway, with a properly sealed stock that is glass bedded, a small amount of warpage is largely negated by the fact that the action and chamber area of the barrel is resting on epoxy, while the rest of the barrel is free floated. IME this provides the most stable platform and tends to result in smaller groups. Having said that, all rifles tend to be a law unto themselves. There are some guns, I understand, that really shoot better with some pressure between the last couple of inches of the forend and the barrel. I have only owned one gun like this, though, and it was a Winchester Model 70 featherweight in .243.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep...Ive got a Remington M7 I was having a LOT of trouble getting to shoot ( I usually don't mess with anything unless its dire...)
Finally in frustration I asked JB if he thought I should hog out the pressure point and free float it...??

It worked...

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

Just noticed. Who's your little friend in the background? Looks like a story

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
HS...sorry it took so long to reply..I turned in early last night.

The little dog in the pic is 1/2 Dachshund and 1/2 Fox terrier and was used by my PH as a tracking dog to follow up game that had been wounded and run off...
The dog was an absolute crackerjack at it, stayed at heel very quietly until he was sent on a track. Yipped when he found something still alive, if he found it dead he simply came back to you and led the way...

Another pic..

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
cool That would be neat to see. Nice gemsbok, too.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Shot it again today. Using the same powder and charge, but changing to 165 gr. Speer SPBT, obtained groups hovering around 0.5". Changed to the 168 gr. TSX, back to 1.75" groups. I'm going to play with Accubonds a bit, but its sure looking like a rebed.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
well, i'll throw my hat in the ring with a story of my own. my dad worked for remington arms (clay target) division for 35 years and he got me a model 700 cdl-sf in 270 win. on discount. i promptly took it out and mounted a zeiss conquest 3x-9x in warnes rings and bases. on my first range session, i followed proper break-in procedure and was rewarded with a best group of 2" plus. figuring this was due to break-in, i just figured on the next session being better. at the next session, things stayed pretty much the same. i tried factory loads such as, federal 130 gr. ballistic tips, winchester 140 gr. xp3's, remington 130 gr. accutips, etc. nothing much went under 2". i came home and promptly removed the action from the stock looking for bedding problems. i saw the infamous pressure point, but nothing else looked problematic. i decided that i wasn't going to deal with a 2" shooter. this rifle would either get better or i was trading it on something else. after talking to the gunsmith, i decided that i would first give it the full treatment and see what happened. i had the action glass-bedded, pillar-bedded, and free-floated. i also had the gunsmith check the crown for any knicks or burrs. on returning to the range, i brought along my two favorite loads. the first is a federal premium load of 130 gr. ballistic tips. the other is my own handloads consisting of federal cases, 55 gr. of imr 4350, federal match primers, and 130 gr. ballistic tips. this recipe has never shot poorly in any rifle i have owned. i started with the factory load first. 5 3-shot groups averaged about .90". after a good cleaning and two foulers, i shot 5 3-shot groups of the handloads. the average was .75". needless to say, i am happy the direction i went and the results i recieved. i now have a rifle that i am extremely confident in and have used on many coyotes at ranges up to 350 yds. i am looking forward to working up load of 130 gr. tsx's for use on black bear, caribou, and elk. this is what worked for me. you might give it a go and see what happens. the cdl sf's are so damn pretty you hate to trade them in on something else. happy shooting, keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ohiohunter
the cdl sf's are so damn pretty you hate to trade them in on something else. happy shooting, keith

Amen! This is my dad's gun. I'm working loads up for him and he's OK doing everything you just mentioned. He shot it for the first time this afternoon and he can hit the 8" 200 yard gong regularly. I suppose this is all that counts, but it should shoot better.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
i would try the accubonds. in my 700 classic in 375 H&H i get 3/4-1 inch groups consistently. i would try bedding the rifle and free-floating it. at the very least, you will have a rifle of going anywhere in the world and not be susceptible to temps extremes (your POI shouldn't change). with some of your groups going to .5", you have to wonder if the rifle just has a certain combo it likes and you just haven't found it yet. maybe look at 180 gr. bullets. if you can find them, 180 gr. failsafes would be great for africa! also, take a look at different powders. sometimes you just need to experiment to find which bullet/powder combo your rifle likes. i am thinking sooner or later you are going to find a combo and be very happy with the results. it's been a long time since i saw a remington that wasn't a shooter. like i said, my dad works for remington and i have plenty of them as a result! none shoot over 1 1/4" groups. i am perfectly content with that.-keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
as an afterthought, how far off the lands are your tsx's? if i am recalling correctly, barnes states they shoot the best 50/1000's off the lands. just thinking....-keith

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well, now that is a problem. This thing has the longest magazine and throat I've ever seen short of Wby free bore. I can't seat a 165 gr. TRADITIONAL Barnes to contact the throat or magazine. It does make me wonder how well bigger (longer) bullets would work.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
IMHO, and YMMV, ( I love alphabet disclaimers!)pressure points were for when barrels maybe sucked and bullets were not much better...if the sucker won't shoot floated....sell it or give it to some one you don't really like.....let them dick with it grin laugh

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
It does make me wonder how well bigger (longer) bullets would work.

If it doesn't work for you try the 180s in the TSX....my wife used them in Namibia to '06 a bunch of stuff, and I even borrowed her gun to tip a couple over myself...
Another thought is whatever your favorite flavor of 180...its pretty hard to go wrong with an '06/180gr. combo...

I could stowaway in your luggage an offer more tips throughout the trip....

I'm just sayin..... whistle

grin
Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
Originally Posted by ingwe

It worked...

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

Just noticed. Who's your little friend in the background? Looks like a story

That little dog thinks he's at the top of the food chain, weighs 500 lbs., and that his "arrrghfff" can be heard for 3 miles.

I know. I hunted with him too grin

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hey, yall, I'm absolutely screaming at your response. I do love cool guns and cool little dogs. I hope you don't tire of me, but I plan on giving you the blow-by-blow account up until we leave for Namibia in July. Really, I do think the run-up to the trip is damn near as fun as the trip itself. laugh

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 32 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,058
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.