Hop To
Page 327 of 1,842 1 2 325 326 327 328 329 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The sno jet has a hitch from the factory, it was built for pulling.

I'm sure that is very comforting considering a Ford is expected to haul your loved ones all the way down from up nort!

grin

That is to pull the family, the sleds, and the chevy's home. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone

I'm sure that is very comforting considering a Ford is expected to haul your loved ones all the way down from up nort!

grin

At least the family can ride in the chevy where at least there is heat I guess.

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone

grin

At least the family can ride in the chevy where at least there is heat I guess.

grin

Yeah, they can pop the hood on her, and keep warm from the steam. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thats not steam T. Thats smoke rollin off of all four tires when the Chevy quits playin decoy and eats that Ford up. wink

Last edited by Rooster7; 02/05/10.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Lutefish? confused I never heard of that rascal. Guess I need to do an internet search...or is that a local name for it? Doesn't sound very yummy. sick

Griz, I re-read your post. It's lutefisk, not lutefish? Now I'm even more confused. crazy Enlighten me, please!

Ron

Last edited by RaystownRon; 02/05/10.

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yer kidd'n right?

it's lutefisk.

not lutefish, here, check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
we're heading south to the lake park old timers run.

see some of you there!!

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by RaystownRon
Lutefish? confused I never heard of that rascal. Guess I need to do an internet search...or is that a local name for it? Doesn't sound very yummy. sick

Griz, I re-read your post. It's lutefisk, not lutefish? Now I'm even more confused. crazy Enlighten me, please!

Ron

you're still right though, doesn't sound very yummy grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lutefisk is a Nordic culture dish. It is made from dried/salted whitefish and soda lye. It literally means "lye fish", because it is made using caustic lye soda derived from potash minerals.

Sounds delicious, no? wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To me lutefisk don't really taste like anything. You dip it in butter. The texture is kinda jello like. One thing I know for sure, is that it surely stinks up the joint when you cook it. sick

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
IC B3

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As far as eating lutefisk, I'm not sure I want anything that corrodes the cookware.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Muffy
To me lutefisk don't really taste like anything. You dip it in butter. The texture is kinda jello like. One thing I know for sure, is that it surely stinks up the joint when you cook it. sick

A good Norwegan told me that lutefisk should be firm, not jelly like. If it's like jello it wasn't prepared correctly. That being said I've never had it. Heard to many stories about it growing up. I'm really going for the meatballs and deserts. Although in a weak moment I just might try the lutefisk. Lots of butter can cover up some bad tasting stuff. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ray, I'll spare you the details but the lutefisk comes in slabs or circles of dried meat. It gets soaked in a lye bath to rehydrate. Yum, yum.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well is sounds like we are all set for the old timers run. Uncle Dusty is bringing a fur hat for Dave to wear, and I have a pair of beaver chopper mittens if they fit. I hope the Snow Jet can make the whole run.

We will take plenty of pictures. grin

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
WOW! I sure have gotten a lutefisk education in the last several hours! Thanks to all for the enlightenment (I think). I also clicked the link to the Wikipedia page where I learned MUCH more than I wanted to regarding the origins, preparation, cooking and eating of the "lyefish"! Yum-Yum!

As an ethnic Deutschlander, I think I'll stick to scrapple, sauerkraut, tongue souse and pickled pig's feet. (Nein, nein, nicht lutefisk, bitte!)

May the lutefisk swim merrily on it's way, trailing a stream of soap bubbles as it goes to meet its destiny. Yuck!

Ron

Last edited by RaystownRon; 02/05/10.

NRA Endowment member and proud of it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is scrapple? and tongue souse? confused

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have not had lutefisk since i was about 10, all i tasted was butter, but the texture was not good. I would more than likely try it again but the church buffet's are just to early in the morning.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Takes a mighty powerful God to make a man eat lutefisk...

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The way i figure, a few plates of that should make up for all my sins.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Heck the wine and bread flavored packing peanuts will only get ya so far.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Muffy
What is scrapple? and tongue souse? confused

This is what Wikipedia has to say.. Jump in here Ray.

Scrapple (Pennsylvania Dutch) is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour and spices. It is similar to pon haus, which uses only the broth from cooked meat. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as a regional American food of the Mid-Atlantic States (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland). Scrapple and Pon haus are commonly considered an ethnic food of the Pennsylvania Dutch, including the Mennonite and Amish. Scrapple is found in supermarkets throughout the region in both fresh and frozen refrigerated cases, and it can sometimes be found in frozen form in cities as far away as Los Angeles

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth.[citation needed] Fans of scrapple sometimes boast that scrapple contains everything from a pig except the "squeal. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush.The meat, finely minced, is returned, and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper and others are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.

SOUSE. Head cheese, also called souse and brawn, is a jellied loaf or sausage. ... parts of the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue.

Muffy, aren't you glad you asked? smile

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Page 327 of 1,842 1 2 325 326 327 328 329 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 58 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.