Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I just got my first mlder ,a 45 half stock custom built by a smith here in oz ,nice gun quality lock, trigger,30" oct barrell. My question is what does a 45 round ball weigh in grains.What is an appropriate charge, and roughly what m/l would this achieve. What should i expect in trajectory curve and what range is feasable when shooting foxes and medium size pigs etc.All info appreciated..cheers.

GB1

Somewhere in the 50-70 grain range will produce the best accuracy and trajectory. I would use fff for hunting and perhaps ff for accuracy loads.
45 RB, .445, weigh about 133 grains.
With the proper load (something in the realm of 1/2 ball weight of blackpowder) the 45 is a fully capable 100 deer rifle.

You will need to experiment with patch thickness and lubricants to develop the best accuracy. Just remember that often the best accuracy may be obtained with a lubricant that is not really compatible with hunting where the rifle is loaded for long periods.

Dan

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Dphar
Somewhere in the 50-70 grain range will produce the best accuracy and trajectory. I would use fff for hunting and perhaps ff for accuracy loads.
45 RB, .445, weigh about 133 grains.
With the proper load (something in the realm of 1/2 ball weight of blackpowder) the 45 is a fully capable 100 deer rifle.

You will need to experiment with patch thickness and lubricants to develop the best accuracy. Just remember that often the best accuracy may be obtained with a lubricant that is not really compatible with hunting where the rifle is loaded for long periods.

Dan

Thanks for that Dan it will be most helpfull, i guess your talking whitetail deer ,I think their about the same size as our fallow deer which i can hunt about 3 hours south of Brisbane in State Forest. Ive done a lot of bow hunting so those stalking lessons will be relevant. thanks again Mark.

My son killed his first deer with a 45 caliber flintlock using 45 grains of FFF. About 40 yards, ball penetrated to the offside hide. Deer ran about 100 yards as they often do when shot close to the heart.
Typical young mule deer buck for Montana.

Friend killed a doe, WT if IIRC, at 120 yards with a 45 in 2008. Broke a rib on entry and exit and the shock knocked the deer down. She raised her head as he approached and he shot her again but he had a swivel breech so did not have to take time to reload.
Still I consider the 45 to be toward the lower end of suitability for deer though people have had very good luck with 40s on eastern whitetails.

Dan

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
a soft lead 45 roundball at ML velocities is quite a bit superior to any buckshot pellet on the market. Therefore, it will certainly kill wt deer.

IMO shot placement is key, and perhaps just a little more so in this case.

To quote another... "get close... pick a spot."

Good luck with your ML! I love them.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes and with a round ball comes great accuracy,so shopot for the head

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by savage62
Yes and with a round ball comes great accuracy,so shopot for the head

Thanks guys , thats all grist to the mill goodonya!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 32 invisible), 2,088 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,171
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.