Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My coat or jacket at times is hit by the string upon release. It's been reduced by the install of my string stop, but even so, once in a while I make a shot that has some error induced by a bulky jacket sleeve.

Who makes a really good, nice looking, functional arm guard to clamp down the clothing on the inside of you forearm?

Most of the archery shop stuff looks cheap and crappy. Somebody else must be having this issue besides me.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Try Don http://eaglesflightarchery.com/photos.htm

It's more trad stuff but he makes a great armguard. He has a bunch of materials that are not on the site, shoot him an email. I have a sharkskin armguard from him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used a cheap forearm guard for 3 years and it has worked fine. My new bow has a 6" BH and my sleeve cuff ends up really close to the cables. When I asked about a different style of clothing guard, most of the regulars in there said that they use rubber bands. I probably will continue to use my cheap foream guard and add a rubber band on my cuff. YMMV

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJHACK
My coat or jacket at times is hit by the string upon release. It's been reduced by the install of my string stop, but even so, once in a while I make a shot that has some error induced by a bulky jacket sleeve.

Who makes a really good, nice looking, functional arm guard to clamp down the clothing on the inside of you forearm?

Most of the archery shop stuff looks cheap and crappy. Somebody else must be having this issue besides me.

Kinda strange, because the string stop is supposed to prevent that from happening.

Are you sure your draw length isn't just a tad too long?

In any case, just cut the sleeve off an old sweat shirt at the elbow and this should work fine.

I've also made them by cutting the toe off an old wool hunting sock.

Works beter if the material you use is camo though........ smirk

Or just order this one from Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ndex&indexId=cat20082&hasJS=true

Good luck.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Open up your stance a little bit, maybe 10 degrees. That'll cure most of the problems with string slap. Many of us should not be standing at a 90 degree angle to the target.

IC B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the DL suggestion. It's fine. I'm no where near over length. It's not at all that it hits my arm of shirt, it only happens when wearing a big jacket or bulky coat.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JJ,
I have the same problem at times. I have tried several arm guards- the elastic ones that slip over the arm are too tight, and too hot in warmer weather. The ones that use velcro are too noisy.

I have one I use now, that has three plastic buckles that can be adjusted for length. It works fairly well. Don't remember the brand, could look it up if you need.

If you hunt late season, with bulky coats, etc., there is no way to completely avoid contact with the string, string stop or no. It's not an issue of form, it's just a fact of life!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
D
D
make you own, piece of leather , boot lace , mine is rawhide. eyelets installed up the sides of leather. tie rawhide in one end eyelet, lace it up . waaalaaaa, arm guard. been using mine for about 30 yrs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Thanks for the DL suggestion. It's fine. I'm no where near over length. It's not at all that it hits my arm of shirt, it only happens when wearing a big jacket or bulky coat.

Yeah, me too. If it gets really cold elk hunting or during late season blacktails, I sometime find the string catching a sleeve.

I usually fix the problem by running a wrap or two of fabric tape around the bulky sleeve to pull it tight and out of the way.
That doesn't solve any appearance issues, but it works well and I always have the tape in my pack anyway.

Form can be an issue... when I shot with a straight bow arm it happened more often. Less now that I shoot with a bent elbow/relaxed bow arm. But stuff still happens....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
duct tape works well to in a pinch

robert koch
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Old socks...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
ive made some nice ones out of leather in my dads saddle shop ,but nothing works better for me than an old sock .I use 2 of them to cover my hole arm compresses very well and they are cheap,

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 3,068 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,378
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.