Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have hunted out of both.I now use a tower that is 20 feet tall.It was 25 and we called it the white knucletower.
It has a bathroom propane heater in it and it lets you stay out all day.You still get cold but I think that seeing the fire tricks you into being warmer.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Stands are the way for me. I feel I miss the deer coming in or skirting my plots if I'm in a box. Open windows all around is ok but seems like they catch your movement if you are not careful, same as a stand. Just my opinion, but you asked for it.[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my old age where comfort is important I stick with box blinds either ground or tower.
I have sat enough trees with cold rain running down my neck.

Of course I only hunt my own land so that makes a difference too.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Nothing like cold rain down your back to keep you awake and alert!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by tzone

the $100-150 ones are real easy, but not cheap.

That certainly sounds reasonable for something so important, what are some GOOD models, what do you use?

Hunters Safety Systems is about the easiest one you'll get. It's a vest w/ seatbelt type straps and buckles that come arond you groin area. 20 seconds max.

https://secure.huntersafetysystem.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4

or the Ameristep Safety Vest.

I have the climbing Safety Vest. A bit more complicated than the HS Systems vest. For what it's worth, I'll be getting the HS System by hunting season.

Here's the link to Ameristep.

http://www.ameristep.com/accessories/harnesses.html

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I worked industrial construction for several years. If you have anything like that near you, hit up the pawn shops for harnesses. Scaffold builders will swipe them and the pawn shops will turn them pretty cheap usually.

Of course, they're not camo...

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I prefer a Climbing tree stand over a tower blind. If you have a ladder stand positioned correctly in the right terrain that is a good choice as well . Property I hunted had both and there were areas where a climber could not be used and a tower blind was constructed for that area. You usually have much better visibility with a climber or ladder stand then a shoot house.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use towers only because there are no trees on my place taller than shrubs.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they both have there place. I prefer lock on tree stands.

DEERHUNTER58, is that a pile of yellow gold on the ground?

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
500#'s. That was an early season deer, before the rut but was with a doe. Still had velvet hanging on the rack if you look on the right side (looking at pic)and I mounted it that way. Corn works this time of year, but soon after their on acorns and all the bait in the world wont attract them. Not too bad for a southern deer huh?

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
spot and stalk...

That's my approach ... but I don't hunt whitetails.

Probably my input is not worth much, but since this thread triggered some thoughts I'm going to share them. Worth almost what you're paying me for.

I'd like to win the lottery so I could buy a power company boom truck. Paint it camo, drive out into a few square mile sage patch, plant the feet so it doesn't tip over, and hydraulic myself up about one power pole high, then glass, call, or whatever. You could enclose the basket and add electric heat even.

Oh well, I can't win the lottery, they seem to think I have to buy a ticket first.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
J
My brothers and I hunt in south Texas. The only trees around are twisted mesquite with no room for a climbing tree stand. We use box blinds. I guess you could put a climbing stand on a palm tree, but hunting is not allowed on highway right of way or mall parking lots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DEERHUNTER58
500#'s. That was an early season deer, before the rut but was with a doe. Still had velvet hanging on the rack if you look on the right side (looking at pic)and I mounted it that way. Corn works this time of year, but soon after their on acorns and all the bait in the world wont attract them. Not too bad for a southern deer huh?

Heck yea, great deer. It will make a great mount with the velvet on. Nicely done!

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I believe that deer will learn your stand locations and move around them in time. We have seen this in our clubs.

If you like to hunt deer other than when they are in the rut, consider a climber, also.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To me, comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. I think the answer "it depends" is appropriate.

Many areas here in the South, at covered with trees and you can hand a lock-on in almost any of then, or find a straight one that is not too big or too small and use a climber. Ladder stands are another option, and to me, are like a combination of the two. We even wrap the sides of "buddy stands" with burlap or other material and some even have tops on them to keep you our of the weather.

I am not a huge fan of tri-pods or box blinds (raised or ground level). I always feel constricted and feel like i am hunting out of window or that I will be looking one direction (out a window) and something will show up in the opposite direction. Then I will have to ease around, not bump the sides of the tower, open a window or ease the rifle out the opening.... You get the point.

On the other hand, out West or in Texas or Mid-West, there are rarely trees that would be suitable for a climber. The use of a lock-on is sometimes better suited, then the option is there for a ladder. if in a clear-cut or a field, a box or tower blind is often the best option, again, that is if you have no suitable trees.

Like I said, Apples to Oranges but both are good options depending on what your onjectived are and what your surrounding either require or allow.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If I owned a piece of property, I would construct a nice box stand. Would be a great way to get kids in the woods.

When it's just me, I'm always on the ground still hunting or in a ground blind, etc. Though staying put in any stand long term has never been my thing.

CLB

Last edited by CLB; 02/05/10.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Tower stands have certain advantages that you simply can't put into words...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And in the right location, they can produce some pretty decent deer...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq130/santeerangerman/c8.jpg[/img]

All these bucks were killed from our tower that over looks a 10 acre field that borders a very large swamp in the South Carolina lowcountry. SC doesn't have the size of bucks that you'll see in most parts of the country, but are pretty good by our standards.
This is a drawing of the stand we built.
[img]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq130/santeerangerman/Grandpasrockingchairstand.jpg[/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sure love mine. Espically when the temps drop below zero here in Wisconsin. It dont happen alot but if it does it make sitting all day alot more comfortable.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Where in the lowcountry? I've been hunting in Ridgeland, but leaving for Ga. border with Alabama this year. Nice bucks BTW

Jack

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,484 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.