Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
DKA Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Where to buy 650-660 Degree Temp Sensitive Crayon For Annealing Brass?

Keep on doing what you are doing and you will keep on getting what you are getting.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ordered mine from the local welder's supply outfit. However, consider using the tempilaq liquid instead. The crayon isn't particularly user friendly. HTH, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch
I ordered mine from the local welder's supply outfit. However, consider using the tempilaq liquid instead. The crayon isn't particularly user friendly. HTH, Dutch.

Listen to Dutch, he knows what he speaks about.

BP...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boilerpig1
Originally Posted by Dutch

Listen to Dutch, he knows what he speaks about.

BP...

Listen to Dutch and Boilerpig...

Try your local welding supply/gas store.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

DKA Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Local Welding Supply didn't have any, so ordered Tempilaq from Brownells. Thanks A Lot

Keep on doing what you are doing and you will keep on getting what you are getting.

DKA Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ordered it from Brownell's and it came yesterday. Used it today, and will not ever use Crayon again. This is nice. Tempilac is the truth.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Is 650 degrees the right temp for annealing. They don't make 660.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luke
Is 650 degrees the right temp for annealing. They don't make 660.

http://24hourcampfire.com/annealing.html

Have fun.. BP...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I read that before. He calls for 660-665, they don't make it. Another guy says 750 is the right temp, what's right?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luke
I read that before. He calls for 660-665, they don't make it. Another guy says 750 is the right temp, what's right?

Luke,I use the 650 degree and paint it below the shoulder as Dr. Howell suggests.

Quote:
"Annealing a longer area � neck, shoulder, and upper body, say � means there's a wider range of temperatures between the mouth of the case and the lower edge of the annealing area. The 650� melting crayon allows a range of about 10� to 15� Fahrenheit. You could use this crayon to mark the lower edge of the area to be annealed, or the other crayon to mark the upper portion of the annealing area."

I use this on all makes of brass including Lapua. I have never had a problem.

Happy reloading and unloading grin.. BP...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "window" for optimum annealing is quite large. You're never going to be able to discern a difference and even a �100� isn't going to make that much difference.

And since brass gets progressively softer with rising temperature, who and how was the optimum temperature determined? Think about it. I have and can't find any information on that part of it.

If it gets a bit too soft just run the neck into a die a couple of times and harden it up. Isn't that hardening the reason brass is annealed and softened? It's not rocket science.

As long as the annealing is consistent and holds bullets, it will work and work well, consistency being the key.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bobski

This is the best chart I have been able to find on the subject; and it shows you are right. There is a wide range of temperatures that apply. What's worse, 660F doesn't fit with this information AT ALL!

[Linked Image]

edited to add:

Further, in the link below to an engineering manual, the annealing temperature for cartridge brass is listed as 800 - 1400 degrees Fahrenheit -- I suppose it's time to quit quibbling over 650 vs. 660 degrees........

http://www.substech.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wrought_copper_alloy_c26000_cartridge_brass

Thing is, I have annealed much brass using a 660 degree temp stick, and it WORKS. I get consistent, desirable results. What we do, may be "stress releaving" rather than true annealing -- which may result in the "dead soft" condition described by those who caution against overheating. If so, the 660 on the shoulder is probably the maximum to prevent the neck from going over the 800 degrees listed. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen that chart, along with a few others to which I've posted links in the very recent past when the subject of annealing came up. One is from a brass organization in the UK, and a very detailed site it is with charts such as this.

There "may" be some relationship to the 650� temperature as this is in Fahrenheit while the chart you posted above is in Celsius. You just can't see exactly where the break points are.

I just don't understand why everyone tries to make annealing so complicated. It's not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bobski

I just don't understand why everyone tries to make annealing so complicated. It's not.

Exactly.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobski

There "may" be some relationship to the 650� temperature as this is in Fahrenheit while the chart you posted above is in Celsius. You just can't see exactly where the break points are.

the 800-1400 degree F corresponds with 425-750 C, which brackets the "sress relieving zone" in the graph above. 300 C (the top end of the "stress relieving" is 570 F.

So what we see recommended doesn't match the engineering data or engineering terminology.

But it works. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh! OK.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks guys, it's much clearer now. Paint the 650 below the shoulder, should work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very good thread. I like these threads where someone points to facts and practical experience and not just internet rumor or just because.

I've been looking for the information that's in this thread and I'm going to bookmark it.

Dutch - there was a previous thread where I might have slighted you. That was not intended on my part. Sorry. You are one of the good guys.

Bobski and boilerpig1, you're all right too.

fish head

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fish Head, I appreciate your kind words -- don't fret about possible slights: I never noticed...... Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1234, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,415
Posts18,470,496
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.