Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3779885 02/09/10
P
OP Offline
P
Please suggest what rifle bipods you favor and why. I am planning a Caribou hunt in Alaska this fall and would like to place a bipod with a height up to maybe 23 inches onto the front of my Win Model 70 stock.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
without a doubt, I would recommend the Snipepod....very light,sturdy and easy to use.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nice handle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was thinking exactly the same thing, Tom!! Although I certainly wouldn't want anybody to know me with a name like that.

Unless it's a chick thing!

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
P
OP Offline
P
You're focusing on the wrong thing guys. It's a moniker my nurse son's twisted mind gave his father (also his best man) during a time of traded compliments.
Back to the bipod please.

IC B2

O
O
Originally Posted by Papsmear
You're focusing on the wrong thing guys. It's a moniker my nurse son's twisted mind gave his father (also his best man) during a time of traded compliments.
Back to the bipod please.

laugh

Well, at least he didn't stick you with the name of "smegma". As for the bipod, can't really help you there; still stuck on your name laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Harris S series. They offer two lengths that fit your description. I have a few, very well made have had zero issues with them. Some are over 15 yrs old. Only issue with the S is they tilt too easily until you apply a good tightening to the nut with a pair of pliers then all is good.

Either one of these:

HB25-S - Extends 12" to 25" Three Piece Standard Legs, "S" Series (Swivels)

or

HB25C-S - Extends 13 1/2" to 27" Three Piece Standard Legs, "S" Series (Swivels) (It has two small add on legs a the end of the legs to get the extra 2" of length. IMO it is a bit strange looking but it does work. It makes it easier to shoot while sitting.

Last edited by Azshooter; 02/10/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless that rifle is only going to be used close to the vehicle I would not carry a bipod on a big game rifle. I do use one on a varminter.

We hunt so much for a shot at big game and at the end of the day get none.

Try some practice from the sitting position. It can be quite accurate.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
P
OP Offline
P
I beat him to the punch calling him smegma breath

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
put a pod loc on the s series to help with the easy tilting.
also, stoney point shooting sticks may work.
i always carry a bipod in my pack, for when we sit and watch canyons, hill sides, etc...
a bi pod just may work well for you on a caribou hunt.
the one above is nice and should work well for you.

IC B3

P
OP Offline
P
Savage 99 brings up a point that concerns me. Is the extra weight of a bipod worth it? We will be hiking the tundra most of the day. Maybe it's better to learn to shoot over my backpack.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I hunt alot with a full-size Harris on my rifle. It adds some weight but not enough for me to leave it off the rifle. Using a tight sling along with the bipod creates a very solid setup from the sitting position.

(Just weighed my 25 S and it is 1lb 4oz, not exactly light)

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/10/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Will add that my rifles have the lug bedded and the barrel floated. Some rifles will shoot screwy with a bipod but mine don't.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Sam, Love the Waylon avatar. I have a rifle that the bipod screws with. savage 22-250 shoots awesome from the bench as soon as I put the bipod on her I was shooting 6-8 inch groups at 100 yards.

I've always been crazy.................

Nothing like a fine shotgun and a good bird dog.
Franchi Veloce O/U, 7Rm and Orvis rod.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Will add that my rifles have the lug bedded and the barrel floated. Some rifles will shoot screwy with a bipod but mine don't.

I stuck an older Ti with the pressure points in the forearm on a previously good shooting .270 that turned it into a scattergun. Removing the PPs sent it back to it's old habits.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Waylon rules!

And yep on the pressure points.
My 270 ADL had pressure points so a couple years ago I ground them out and bedded/free floated the barrel. The rifle shot okay before but shoots even better now, one less thing to worry about.

The thing I really like about the taller bipods is that a guy can shoot right over sagebrush/grass that might otherwise foul up a shot if you went prone. Ideal for pronghorn country.
I feel pretty confident out to 400 yards shooting from my rear end with the Harris. Took a mulie at about 180 yards last Fall using the Harris(sitting with sling) and it was the easiest shot in the world.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got and have played around with two Harris bipods, one of them is tall enough for shooting from a sitting position. I also have a very light, home made tripod.
As far as I'm concerned, they make a nice, fast, smooth handling sporter into a miserable, awkward and very slow handling prone rifle that can hardly be used much from any other position. I don't know about you, but I've found that in some places, I can't use prone as it is too close to ground.
That means they are a poor choice for anything other than shooting small varmits at extended ranges in my book.
I find a sitting position with a shooting sling much faster and nearly as steady out to at least 300 yds. Beyond that, I find using my pack is every bit as fast and often faster. And just as steady.
I've practiced alot with all of the above. For me, I much prefer either sitting w/ a shooting sling or using a pack as rest either with or w/o a shooting sling. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paps-I'll say right up front I am a fan of a cheater (bipod), for many moons I've carried a 9-13" model from Alaska to Sonora. Personally I'd not be without it and for what you're thinking of using it I feel it's about model perfect.

Could you use a day pack you bet, did that for years as well. But for me, when it comes to shooting under pressure and when the chips are down and I need to get an animal on the turf I'll take a bipod on the front and some sort of a rear rest each and every time. For the rear if I have time I'll use my daypack and or my bins or something like that. You'll be amazed at how well you can lock up with a set up like this. I feel even mores steady than I do off the bench.

And speaking of which, I'd do most of my practice with it with the legs resting on the ground and not on a bench or a concrete sidewalk (our range has them). Also get used to working the bolt and getting back on targ quickly.

Practice with it so you can get into action right now. If you've not used one b4 one trick on your final stalk is to search of a the best option for a shooting platform that you can.

If I recall right they weigh all of 9 oz's, and that's not tough for me to tote around. Now on a extreme/tough mtn hunt if I didn't want it on I've tossed it in the pack for a just in case. But for the most part it's never bothered me to have it tag along for a walk.

I hunted bou's in the fall of 90 or so, did it myself in Alaska, had a good trip except for the bugs... smile

Shoot straight and enjoy your trip!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Harris. Put one on my rifle on my second antelope hunt. Was never w/o it after that. I pracitce field position shooting all year around. You combine a good stable kneeing or sitting position AND a bipod, you've really got something.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 29 invisible), 1,884 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,654
Posts18,512,764
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.