Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Going to get an M4 (again), as a truck gun/SHTF/yada, yada, yada...

Anyway, I'm torn between a flat-top with optics as a primary, and detachable irons as a reserve, or a standard with bombproof irons and optics mounted to the carry-handle as necessary.

The idea of irons, for me, is a dead-nuts reliable, always there, always ready sighting system; the stronger and simpler, the better. BUT, I like being able to use optics.

Suggestions?

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like the idea of a flat top with a holosight of some kind.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about the mounts that attach to the carry handle on the original flavored models?

IIRC I saw some that were "see through" to allow use of sights, but I may be mistaken.

Anyway, are they reliable?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
But I do like this idea and have always considered it.

"flat-top with optics as a primary, and detachable irons as a reserve"

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by RWE
What about the mounts that attach to the carry handle on the original flavored models?

IIRC I saw some that were "see through" to allow use of sights, but I may be mistaken.

Anyway, are they reliable?

That's the second option listed (though, no see-thrus). To me, it's the best "K.I.S.S." principle version, but....

IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
As a truck gun I find it hard to get any simpler or more reliable than an A1 upper with a standard FSB. Think Israeli Defense guns... or a Colt SP1 carbine (be still my beating heart)

But for practicality, a flat top with a scope mounted in a QD mount such as LaRue and a BUIS such as a folding Troy is the best of both worlds.

If you want a red dot, then a fixed BUIS like LaRue and an Aimpoint are more efficient than even the A1.

Here's an example of an aimpoint and LaRue fixed and a Leupold 1.5-5 in a LaRue mount with a Troy folding sight.
[Linked Image]
The only consideration is, that's alot of money to leave in the truck...

V
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
V
Can't stand red dots.

And, yeah, that's a lot of money to leave in the truck.

K.I.S.S. principle is one that I try very hard to stick to.

BTW - how about some additional English in the answer? There are quite a few things I'm WELL versed on firearms-wise. ARs, ain't one of them.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A1= second design (?) carry handle upper, windage only adjustable.

FSB= front sight base

QD= quick detatch

BUIS= back up iron sight

That help?

This thread should give you some ideas
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=304444

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like an Aimpoint, with back up irons. If I break my aimpoint I end up where the iron sight only crowd started out.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
My eyes are still pretty good but I came to the realization that I need optics if I want accuracy. (1.5-5 Leupy) Still good to have a set of flip ups...just in case.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am thinking just a plain jane A4 FT with BUIS and the brand is not all that important as he has said it's a truck gun. Be damned if I'm going to leave my high dollar stuff in the truck all the time.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would go with a flat top just to have the options.

There are bomb proof irons that you can bolt (and loctite) on like the Daniel Defense rear sight. It does not fold and it is A1 style, no silly elevation adjustment.

W
W
Hello there, I am about to purchase a Remmington R-25 308 cal.
I believe or maybe Iam wrong that DPMS is manufacturing them for Rem. Any suggestions??? would like to set it up for whitetail..

Footsteps in the sand he held me in his hand,and in the other he held a Savage. Truly this must be Heaven!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
VA,

Just go with a standard flattop and mount a scope...

Keep it simple. Nothing is bombproof.

If you want a user friendly optical setup, mount a fixed 4x on her. About as bombproof as you can get.

Is you want/need more scope switch her out.

PS - Check out CMMG bargain bin rifles. I've purchased two of them and they are a bargain for sure...

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?cart=2197090&cat=161&

They update the choices regularly...

Last edited by GregW; 02/10/10.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
the cmmg ones have all been ok, the ones I"ve seen anyway...

but if it has to be 200% reliable.... just buy the colt...

I'd still think along the lines of what do you have to do with the gun? Whats its most uses? IE you can do a lot with irons if you shoot enough. I've no qualms about shooting deer at 300 plus with irons on an AR... but you have to have good up close vision to see the front sight.

I've said before, I carry a truck gun wiht a scope on it, flattop upper. Happens to have 4x12 on it, due to our hunting regs vs antler width etc... but you can do less.... I can always pull it off and slap irons on in a pinch, but scopes these days are generally so reliable its not funny.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go with the flattop and if you want open sites then get you a set of Troy fold downs combat sights other wise mount you a Trijicon ACOG or Reflex for hunting or protection. Longer range go with any good hunting scope.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Another thought comes to mind.... keep another scope in a set of mounts at the backup and you don't have to worry about irons.. BUIS ain't all that cheap anyway, the better ones anyway. Just as easy to swap scopes out almost..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I purchased a set of Troy Fold Down sight for my 6.8 build because some times i just like to hunt with open sights. The only thing holding up finishing my 6.8 is waiting on the barrel . I'm having it done in Dark Earth GunKote and it will be about two to three weeks before it is shipped to me. I'm using a LH Stag Upper for this build.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
BTW VA, the LaRue scope mounts I refered to come off with 2 throw levers and go back on retaining zero. That's how I can swap to irons or scope and back.

In fairness, other mounts like GG&G, ADM and Bobro work basicly the same, though I've never tested anything other than 6 or so LaRue mounts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The LaRue is right at the top as far as returning to zero every time. Just did the repeat zero on my LMT this past weekend and without a doubt, they are perfect.
I also tried out the zero repeat on the GG+G mount and it was 100% good to go, with right back to zero.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,822
Posts18,516,744
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.