Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Where are all the Savage fans?<BR>(this should get them out!)<P>------------------<BR>Lest not we forget, America is a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, spread your knowledge, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's one. Actually, I've been wanting a M99 for a long time and just bought my first one a couple weeks ago at a gunshow. It's a .300, made in 54, pistol grip/schnable forend, 24" barrel, in very good condition. It has a non-factory drilled receiver with a redfield mount so I got a good deal on it. Haven't even shot it yet. I saw one each in .358, .284 and 7mm-08, but they wanted $800-$1000! -al

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not going to argue what the best levergun is, but my favorite is the Model 92, with the Model 86-71 next. I like the Marlin's simplicity, ease of cleaning through the action, and like the Winchester's looks. <BR>The model 88 Winchester, Model 99 Savage, and the Model 96 Ruger are in a different league. Fine leverguns, able to use pointed bullets(although not in the Ruger due to none available). Finnwolf, never seen one. ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Model 88 gets my vote. Own one in 308. VERY good shooter. Very handy. And I like the Marlin's too. Haven't owned a Savage 99, but suspect I will when I stumble across one when I have some money in my pocket. <BR>Better question is, is there a lever action that you don't like? I can't think of one.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This old African hunter loves the M-99F that was made in the 50's and 60's and has a couple of old beat up ones in 250 Sav. and 308 Win..both will shoot 5 shots 1" at 100. Now thats something...I like the 99EG and have been looking for a shooter in 308....any leads??<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Atkinson - gunsamerica.com always has quite a few listed. -al

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks EllieMae<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

J
jb Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I love lever actions. I have 7 of them. This is a target I shot last fall before the deer season. The dime size group was done with a 1947 Sav. 99 in 300 Sav. with a 37 year old Weaver K4 and factory ammo.<BR>The quarter size group was done with a 1958 Sav. 99 in 358 with a Leupold 3-9X compact using handloads.<BR>I also have two Win. 88's, one in 308 and I had one redone in 338-308. I love the looks and feel of the 88 and rate it as one of the better lever actions made.<BR>My others are Marlin 39A and 336 in 35rem. and a Win.94 in 30/30<P> [Linked Image]

a little bit of heaven is found just north of the bridge
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i'd have to say the old winchester model 94 in 30-30 or the marlin 336 in 35REM, either of these guns are perfect for hunting here in maine.<BR>YoungHunter

MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Have you "test driven" a Henry Golden Boy recently? If you have, you will then agree with me that it probably has the smoooooothest action of all. I have one and I wish that my Marlin Guide Gun's action were as smooth as my Henry's. <P>Because of that, I plan to buy another Henry. Probably their 22 magnum lever gun.<P>That is if I have the money! [Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Navy Arms 92 in .45 colt that I am very fond of. I traded off a Win. 94 trapper to get this rifle. couldn't be more thrilled with my trade!.. I HATE them cross-bolt saifies!!!! Good shootin,vbshootinrange...

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I think the 99 is a great design, and have always loved the look of the old-style versions with the schnable fore-ends and STRAIGHT-GRIP stocks. It was way ahead of it's time, as far as action strength in a lever gun, and has always been offered in some great calibers. I've never owned one. For some reason, they just don't fit me right ..... wish it wasn't so, my loss.

i am a savage fan I have a 250-3000 and a 284 win.in the savage 99

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned three:<BR>I bought a new 94 win in 1965 at a local dealer. It would not feed the second round unless it was returned to waist level, turned on it's side, and the lever operated very slowly.when I took it back to the store the next day, the guy said they all are like that!I had paid him 65 bucks for it. he gave me 50 or 55 back.I swore off him and 94 mod win.<BR>I bought a used 99 in 300 in the seventies.I really liked it. I let a friend borrow it.He had a heart attack and died,his wife thought he had bought it from me so she gave it to his son in law.I never told her different.<BR>In '85 I bought a used 1895 Mar in 45-70. It had a rec. sight and shot a foot high at 50 yds.I silvered a tall ramp front sight on and I've never looked back. I've had rifles that went 2 or 3 years without being shot. It aint one of them.It's the only lever action I want, but I cant do without it.It feeds and shoots my handloads like a dream.<BR>Ive put a 4x redfield on it from time to time for night hunting but take it off next day.<BR>Ive got several nice rifles but after I'm gone ,I expect this marlin will be the one that's special to my son.It is to me.<P><P>------------------<BR>Good judgement comes from experience,most of which comes from bad judgement

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Finally got my butt out to shoot the new M99. It's a .300sav EG with 24" barrel, made in 1954. A previous owner had tapped the receiver for a redfield mount, and there is an old Bushnell Scopechief 4X post reticle scope in it. <P>I wasn't exactly sure what I was buying at the time. The barrel was so dirty that I couldn't really see what I was getting at the gunshow, but I took a chance based on the overall external cosmetic condition of the gun. It looked to be in extremely good condition for a 50 year old rifle, and the price was right, so I bought it. When I got it home, I ran a couple patches through the barrel and revealed severe copper fouling. Hmmm. Got out the Sweet's 7.62 and cleaned it up as best I could.<P>I was a little worried that the bargain I thought I got was too good to be true. But a shooting session Sunday calmed my fears. Taking two shots at a time to get it on the the target, every pair of shots was within an inch of each other (100 yds). Lookin good. After getting it sighted, I shot a few 5 shot groups, which always spread out to about 2". The shots weren't stringing, so I think the bigger 5-shot groups were due to the post reticle in the scope, which I had a little trouble deciding how to sight through. That post is wide! Those groups aren't so bad anyway, but I'm sure I'll work that out and improve some. Anyway, I think it'll make a fine 200yd hunting rifle. Couldn't be happier. <P>So who's killed elk with a .300sav? <P>-al

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats EllieMae. The only 99 I have seen for sale in the last few years was in .308 Win. The barrel was furry inside, the rifle was beat on the outside, and I swear it looked like a crack in the neck area of the chamber. All that for only $300.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<P> I like Marlins, tho I shot a new Win. trapper, in 45 colt, and it was a sweet pointing little rifle. I have a Browning 22lr lever-gun and its a dandy squirrel rifle and very accurate.<P> I always wanted a Savage ; It will happen sometime. Winchester had a stretch there some time ago when they were making some real garbage lever gun's, just real rattle traps. They have turned it around now and are making a goodie, I really liked that Trapper.<P> I am praying that Marlin chamber's a Levergun in .454 Casull. I think that would be neat. I bought my .450 M guide gun to hunt Hog,Treestand Black bear, and deer if I go up to Northern WI. this year. I'd love to take it to Africa also,next time I go...................10

"Like with any House of Prostitution we ought to charge admission at the United Nations building"

"Even better, we should bulldoze it down and put a public shooting range in its place." "We'd be a safer country for it".
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
As much as I love my Savage 99's , I really have a soft spot for my old Win. M-94 26" octagon barrel, 25-35 WCF...that shoots 1" groups with irons all day long...I've killed a 18 wheeler full of deer and a few elk with it,in my mispent cowboy days.....Lots of good memorys and I still hunt mule deer locally with it.<P>------------------<BR>Ray Atkinson<BR>atkinsonhunting.com<BR>208-326-4120

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey There;I'm the new kid on the block here,<BR>(I wish I was a kid again)my vote would have <BR>to go to the Sako Finwolf.I been shooting one for years,I have a 99 in .250 also it's a good one but it's a safe gun.The Finwolf comes up fast and feels like it's part of me.<BR> Someone once told me they took the 88 idea<BR>change a few things and called it a Sako.True or false don't know but it sounds good. Ruttin

Take a kid huntin'and teach them well,they are our future.
R
R
I LOVE THE 99 SAVAGE. I WISH SAVAGE STILL PRODUCED THEM IN 358 WIN. OR ANY CALIBER FOR THAT MATTER. THE 99 IS A SMOOTH AS GLASS LEVER AND ARE VERY ACCURATE. I SHOT MY FIRST DEER WITH A MOD 99E IN 308. I KNOW THERE IS MANY THOUSANDS OF 99 OWNERS OUT THERE AND I DONT KNOW WHY THEY DONT GET ANY AIR TIME. I WOULD GUESS ITS BECAUSE THAY ARE NO LONGER MADE. ALL THE WAY!! RED TIGUR

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 14,838 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,983
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.