Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Why would Ruger only see fit to bring its 416 to market in a #1, and the 20" Hawkeye Alaskan? Why not the Hawkeye African?
............Stay tuned!!! They will!

But foist, they must solve the stock splitting issues periodically seen on the 375 Ruger Africans.

That`s the inside scoop!

Maybe they should consult a good stock maker! Or offer it (the 416) in a non-tupperware, composite stock version. What is significantly different between the Hawkeye stock and the stocks used previously for their big-bores?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why would Ruger only see fit to bring its 416 to market in a #1, and the 20" Hawkeye Alaskan? Why not the Hawkeye African?

But foist, they must solve the stock splitting issues periodically seen on the 375 Ruger Africans.

That`s the inside scoop!

Maybe they should consult a good stock maker! Or offer it (the 416) in a non-tupperware, composite stock version. What is significantly different between the Hawkeye stock and the stocks used previously for their big-bores?
............Don`t know what the difference would be in the wood. But knowing Ruger the way I do, they`d want to solve the splitting problems using the same wood stocks in order to keep the retail cost of the Hawkeyes down, which happens to be their strong selling point.

I wouldn`t mind seeing the 23" African version in a synthetic type stock either.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That`s the inside scoop!

............Don`t know what the difference would be in the wood. But knowing Ruger the way I do, they`d want to solve the splitting problems using the same wood stocks in order to keep the retail cost of the Hawkeyes down, which happens to be their strong selling point.

I wouldn`t mind seeing the 23" African version in a synthetic type stock either.

They really need to take a look at the math. Selling zero(0) African's in 416 = $0. Increase the cost by $200 (the difference between the cost of their wood stock and a worthy composite) and generate revenue ($$) greater than zero (0).

In the mean time, the alternatives for a 416 Ruger bolt-action is a CZ Customer Shop, or build your own.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I`m sure that thought has crossed the minds at Ruger.

B
B
Of course the other option is to stay with the alaskan if you want the 416 ruger. Whilst it dosent have the extra few inches of barrel and is synthetic stocked it is still a cheaper way to get a 416 rugerthan looking at the other options.
I know down under here in Australia there is a lot of interest in a 416 ruger in the african but those that are interested will take an alaskan for now.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The thought of the 416 Ruger in an Alaskan has crossed my mind. If I could buy it as a barreled action, I would. But I am dead set against the factory 'tupperware' stock - including the Hogue.

I find it hard to fathom that for years Ruger could built and sell the 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag in the M77 with wood stocks but can't seem to turn the corner and offer a stout wood stock for the 416 and Hawkeye. Rant off//

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The thought of the 416 Ruger in an Alaskan has crossed my mind. If I could buy it as a barreled action, I would. But I am dead set against the factory 'tupperware' stock - including the Hogue.

I find it hard to fathom that for years Ruger could built and sell the 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag in the M77 with wood stocks but can't seem to turn the corner and offer a stout wood stock for the 416 and Hawkeye. Rant off//
.............Then why not buy the Alaskan and swap the stock??? Someone on here did that, but I don`t remember what stock they replaced the Hogue with.

Ruger feels that the Hogue stocks are very grippy in wet weather (which they are), and capable of any hardship or punishment regardless of terrain or weather. Though one does need larger hands for the larger pistol grip and palm swell. Not a problem in that area for me anyway! For others it would be a problem and a downside!

Vs the wood, I don`t have the need to worry about dings, dents, scratching, wood warping, leaning it against or placing it on some rocks or trees, or babying that rifle in any way on a hunt.

But if for any reason, I ever become dis-satisfied with the Hogue stock on my Alaskan, I`ll replace it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.............Then why not buy the Alaskan and swap the stock??? Someone on here did that, but I don`t remember what stock they replaced the Hogue with.

Because in addition to the wood stock 1) I'd like the 23" bbl. and 2) I don't care to spend 60% of the cost of the gun to put a good composite stock on it. crazy

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Oh yeah!.......You`d like a 23" tubed 416 Ruger!! I forgot!

Well! You can get the 23" tubed 375 Ruger African and have it rebarreled to the 416 Ruger??????

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C'mon 'Squeeze, I want my cake and to eat it too!

Believe me when I say that I have researched the alternatives for a Bolt action 416 Ruger. Pickin's are slim. CZ will build one for a touch under $3k, beyond that I wait for Ruger to figure things out, buy an Alaskan and restock it, or as you say - rebarrel at 375 Ruger. If I am going to go to the extent of rebarreling a Ruger, I'd go a step further and rebarrel a M70 and have the ancillary work done, and add a McM as well. Building my own could potentially be a 6 month project - mostly because of waiting for a stock. It may very well take Ruger that long to iron out the issues with splitting stocks. For now, I'm choosing to see what Ruger does and what sort of time-line they are projecting.

FWIW, If I wanted a Rigby or Rem Mag, there are more options, and greater availability, but I'm not necessarily a fan of belted magnums, or the steep cost of Rigby ammo. In the end, I'll get what I desire, even if it takes weekly prodding of Ruger's R&D to keep things moving.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Keep in contact with Ruger then for some progress reports. I know how that cake and eating it too thing works as well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Oh yeah!.......You`d like a 23" tubed 416 Ruger!! I forgot!

Well! You can get the 23" tubed 375 Ruger African and have it rebarreled to the 416 Ruger??????

Or re-bored for about $300.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Does anyone know what powder Hornady is using in the 400gr DGX
It weighs in at 90.2grains as far as I can tell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What mag box/feeding issues would one expect in a mod 70 Classic .300 WM re-barreled to .416 Ruger?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger Big Shots (check your emails) - what's seems to be the major malfunction on introducing a .416 Ruger on the walnut "African" platform? Surely, the stock splitting issue will be resoveld (or will be SOON). Pay attention here - people want this product and are wondering what's it going to take to get one! Regards, Homesteader

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Homesteader
Ruger Big Shots (check your emails) - what's seems to be the major malfunction on introducing a .416 Ruger on the walnut "African" platform? Surely, the stock splitting issue will be resoveld (or will be SOON). Pay attention here - people want this product and are wondering what's it going to take to get one! Regards, Homesteader
......................Yep!........Boddington wrote the same in an on-line article a few months ago! After Ruger solves the stock splitting issues, the 416 Ruger "IS" coming in the African version, which btw, could be easily foreseen after the 375 Ruger was intro`d in the African.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If Ruger can't fix a stock splitting problem in 10 minutes they need to fire the help and hire me for big bucks..I'd buy them a glass bedding kit and two cross bolts!!, remind them that poor bedding is a culprit of stock splitting as is poor quality wood. The could also change the angled front screw to a straight up and down one like a Mauser..I have seen that done on some earlier mod 77s and its a 60 minute job...

The bottom line is it is not a problem or at least it shouldn't be.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This weeks Tracks Across Africa show on the Outdoor Channel is a hunt with Steve Hornady for Cape Buffalo starring the .416 Ruger. Very good! Try to catch it!

After the successful introduction of the .416 Ruger, stay tuned for the introduction of the .458 Ruger. Just my opinion, but.....wait for it! It is the natural progression of things. Ruger and Hornady have got this stuff figured out. They have found a niche, and are running with it.

Last edited by daddywpb; 04/20/10.

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by daddywpb
This weeks Tracks Across Africa show on the Outdoor Channel is a hunt with Steve Hornady for Cape Buffalo starring the .416 Ruger. Very good! Try to catch it!

After the successful introduction of the .416 Ruger, stay tuned for the introduction of the .458 Ruger. Just my opinion, but.....wait for it! It is the natural progression of things. Ruger and Hornady have got this stuff figured out. They have found a niche, and are running with it.
...........You bet they are! And we ALL KNEW that the 375 Ruger casing was going to be necked up after the 375 Ruger was first into`d!!!.... wink

And I won`t be surprised sometime to see a 7mm Ruger, 300 Ruger and a 338 Ruger based on the full sized 375 Ruger casing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Search 338 Camp Fire Rick Bin did this a few years back. The first article I read on Camp Fire And then I joined

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.