Print Thread
Hop To
S
sgt217 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Looking at an 03 low mileage Dodge diesel...Good comments Bad comments? What am I gonna have to worry about?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
nothing in particular really "bad" about that model that I've heard of .

I believe they were availble in 2 power levels.....standard and high output......

if it is *low* milege , you'll probably get sick of driving the truck before you wear it out .

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Miles? Auto or manual?

Things to look for:

Ball joints. Vehicle will wander a little and steering isn't as tight as it is suppose to. 03 Dodge HD are notorious for loose ball joints.

Performance Chip I wouldn't buy one that had one on before or currently has one on it.

Engine The 5.9L Cummins in 03 is pretty bullet proof. Just look for the common things you would look for on any engine- leaks and such. During a test drive does it blow black smoke? Excessive smoke at idle?

Hemi

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only problem I've heard of is the lift pump. That's the first stage fuel pump that get's fuel from the tank to the fuel injector pump. It isn't a big deal when it goes out as it isn't a big ticket item, but if you don't replace it after it goes out, it will cause the fuel injector pump to go out, which is a big ticket item.

You can either add a pressure gauge downstream of the lift pump to monitor it, or just upgrade to a top notch lift pump.

My primary concern would be if the previous owner chipped the engine and ran it like an assphalt cowboy. Other then that, they are solid engines and good trucks. When I got my 06 diesel I was looking at the used 03's, but all the ones I found were high mileage and the prices were equally high so I just went new.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The only problem I've heard of is the lift pump. That's the first stage fuel pump that get's fuel from the tank to the fuel injector pump. It isn't a big deal when it goes out as it isn't a big ticket item, but if you don't replace it after it goes out, it will cause the fuel injector pump to go out, which is a big ticket item.

You can either add a pressure gauge downstream of the lift pump to monitor it, or just upgrade to a top notch lift pump.

My primary concern would be if the previous owner chipped the engine and ran it like an assphalt cowboy. Other then that, they are solid engines and good trucks. When I got my 06 diesel I was looking at the used 03's, but all the ones I found were high mileage and the prices were equally high so I just went new.

The CP-3 pump is not the time-bomb that the older VP44 was. It doesn't puke if the lift pump goes out. My '03 with 179k miles has completely original suspension (except for the shocks) including steering components and balljoints. The b/joints are getting a little play in them now, but should go to 200k without issues. Have replaced a few front pinion seals until NAPA came out with a decent quality seal, no more problems. The OE seals are garbage. Its been a great truck for me so far.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

S
sgt217 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
HO, 70,000 miles. I know about the ball joints, I have an 01 I bought new and replaced them at 125,000. This truck is clean and straight, will have to ask about whether he chipped it or not, thanks guys...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,262 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.