Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Talus Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any good? I'f I'm lucky, I'll get to spend 10 days per year under it.

GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
the big question is what will you be using it for and how hard will you abuse it?
remember, you get what you pay for, and there are a lot of more expensive packs out there, if you get my drift...
i would suggest looking at barney's packs, kifaru, bull-pac, and whatever others may be suggested by other forum members.
though cabelas has a great warranty and customer service, that does you no good if it fails on you in the field when you NEED it!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one and so does my pard. So far they have carried everything we have been able to put in them. They are comfortable, and actually adjust well. I was leary at first but the price plus the Cabela's cust. serv. leaned me to try it. I like it and have recommended it to others. The only thing I have found that I don't like sometimes is the weight of the pack itself, and it is always big - whether you fill it or not. I don't carry it all the time, but when I need a pack that will take alot ++ it gets the nod. Otherwise I use a smaller internal frame pack. YMMV and there are lots of packs out there. Look around, figure out what you really need, and a budget. Then buy. My 2cents.

"You only know one thing for sure about a broken down old man........He's the survivor...."

Incoming rounds have the right of way.....
Talus Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What about the bull-pac, then? Who's got one? I've seen the web page, but not the pricing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talus,

The Bullpac goes for a $160 and that is the frame only. Reading between the lines on the site it seems that you can even request it be customised.

With regards the packs themselves I did not look at the prices, but they are on the website somewhere...

Regards,

Pete

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find my Bull-Pac every bit as good as they advertise. I have various bags for the frame sized to planned hunt duration made by Buck�s Bags in Boise. A side benefit I really love is that very rarely anymore do I pack a tripod for my spotting scope on extended hunts. The Bull-Pac has flat bar crossmembers and what I've been using is a little 14 oz window mount head clamped to the top crossrail for near perfect seated glassing, right at 29-30 inches. For prone I tig welded an aluminum tab to the side of the pack frame that sets the scope at around 19ish inches when the pack is laid on its side...quite stable, cheap, and the overall lightest system I've come up with for spotting.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have considerable experience with various packs in working and recreating in western Canada wilderness; I have owned and used 24 different packs, from expedition to daypacks, in 40 yrs. I prefer a rigid frame pack for general big game hunting and I get into some very rugged places in B.C. where my age and solo status makes top-notch pack performance absolutely crucial.

I bought a Bullpac in Feb 2002 and have various custom camo fleece bags made for it and I just put on a huge, full-length "Synergy Works" "Expedition" packbag I re-cycled from one of my packs, this with simple cableties. This will allow me to carry an enormous load, more than my "geezer" legs can handle.

The Bullpac is a superb piece of equipment and they are outstanding people to deal with, I cannot recommend them and their pacs too highly.

Talus Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies. That's a great idea about the glassing, journeyman. Don't have a TiG welder handy though .. but I can find one!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talus, check out the Cabelas Alaskan extreme outtfitter, much lighter and much better pack.. I hear really good things about the Eberle one pack. I'd check it out also. good luck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (2ndwind, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 204guy, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,791
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.