Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
It looks like Barnes is the newest victim of Remington. You better stock up if you shoot those over priced projectiles. It appears as if it is only going to get worse. I never felt you got what you paid for before, but now I think they will go even higher in price, and who knows what the quality will do. Tom.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/resources/newsletters/february-2010-barnes-bullet-n/

West By God Virginia
HR IC

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Not a victim of Remington. But they did sell to the company that owns Rem and a host of others. I doubt they were forced into the sale by any means. I think the owners are pretty well off and have done well for themselves with their business.
I would say they had an opportunity to convert to retirement and took it.
While I admit a business sale sometimes turns out bad for the consumer we'll have to wait and see. Nothing we can do about it anyhow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HOGGHEAD
It looks like Barnes is the newest victim of Remington. You better stock up if you shoot those over priced projectiles. It appears as if it is only going to get worse. I never felt you got what you paid for before, but now I think they will go even higher in price, and who knows what the quality will do. Tom.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/resources/newsletters/february-2010-barnes-bullet-n/

You'll probably get some hits on that troll...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Freedom Group Inc.
notice

Of all their brands, I'm most interested in the Dakota line of rifles (Hunter 97 and model 10 to be specific)

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not a heavy Barnes user, so I guess it will be even less so, if Rem thinks that they need to jack up the price for the public to pay extra for their name on the box also....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I gotta laugh when guys who drive 50K pickups and put $3.00 a gallon gas in them whine about the cost of ammo. Barnes is not a "victim".... it's called free enterprise. Some of you sound like you would like to have some government agency regulate what corporations could do about selling out/merging etc.... oops forgot they already do and we see how well that is working.

Just as an FYI, Federal has been loading Barnes bullets LONG before the latest merger.

I drive an 01' Ram and shoot TSXs/TTSXs. No doubt not as cool as the guy in his 2010 Powerpoke shooting elcheapo cup and cores but I'll sacrifice cool for dead animals right now.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have worked in the sporting goods business for all my life. I have watched a lot of companies come and go. And I have seen a lot of good family run companies that did extremely well, only to wither on the vine when it was sold to a larger company, or passed on to the next generation. Does this happen to all companies?? Absolutely not. Does this happen on a regular basis to some companies?? Yes.

When it comes to a business. Having skin in the game is what really drives most people and businesses. I am not sure how you could argue with that. But I would be glad to listen.

As far as a new truck is concerned. Well I drive a 2000---F-150. And it is a decent truck with 92.000 miles on it.

I do not shoot the expensive Barnes bullets. I mostly shoot the bullets that I hand cast myself in my garage. But I do know one thing for sure. The money I save versus buying Barnes bullets for the amount of shooting that I do----I could buy a new truck in just a few years.

I wonder how I have ever killed a single animal with a bullet that I cast on my garage bench for just about free?? Maybe I better start paying a buck a piece for them?? I do not think so. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Then why do you care about something that has been common knowledge for over a month?

Last edited by exbiologist; 02/17/10.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Then why do you care about something that has been common knowledge for over a month?

Please accept my apology. I certainly didn't mean to take up your time. I promise to be more careful in the future. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have worked in the sporting goods business for all my life. I have watched a lot of companies come and go. And I have seen a lot of good family run companies that did extremely well, only to wither on the vine when it was sold to a larger company, or passed on to the next generation. Does this happen to all companies?? Absolutely not. Does this happen on a regular basis to some companies?? Yes.

When it comes to a business. Having skin in the game is what really drives most people and businesses. I am not sure how you could argue with that. But I would be glad to listen.

As far as a new truck is concerned. Well I drive a 2000---F-150. And it is a decent truck with 92.000 miles on it.

I do not shoot the expensive Barnes bullets. I mostly shoot the bullets that I hand cast myself in my garage. But I do know one thing for sure. The money I save versus buying Barnes bullets for the amount of shooting that I do----I could buy a new truck in just a few years.

I wonder how I have ever killed a single animal with a bullet that I cast on my garage bench for just about free?? Maybe I better start paying a buck a piece for them?? I do not think so. Tom.

Having worked in the sporting goods business as long as you have, I'm sure you've realized that folks don't roll up their plinking and practice loads with premium bullets..

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Rancho I totally agree with your above statement. However I do roll up all my practice loads(in high powered rifles, not handguns) with the load and bullet that I will be shooting in the field at game. I want to know exactly what my "game loads" are going to do. So good practice IMO is done with your "game load". Not a different load. Just an opinion.

Maybe I should back off a bit on my harshness towards Barnes bullets. But my comments come from a good bit of experience in shooting the Barnes bullets. However I will openly admit that my experience with the Barnes bullets is with their older X-bullets, and with their varnmint bullets. Not so much with their newer dangerous game bullets-however I do not hunt dangerous game.

I actually have and know a good bit of people who are openly disappointed with the performance of their varmint bullets. And I can honestly say that in several of my rifles I just flat out could not get the X-bullets to shoot. Now I realize their newer bullets are not X-bullets, however when you get a bad taste in your mouth about a product it is hard to go back.

And I also truly do believe that you do not need a $1 bullet to kill a thin skinned deer. Do you think I am wrong in saying that?? And I also do not believe that a $1 bullet gives an extra nickels worth of performance on deer.

I believe that shooters go to forums to get all opinions and then they decide what information is relevant, and what information is not. But what I have learned is that the best product is not always the one that is the highest price. There is a tremendous amount of pure marketing ploy in this industry. Lordy just look at the word "Tactical". Add the word "Tactical" to a product and the price doubles---Why?? Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want to know exactly what my "game loads" are going to do.

Ain't hard to do..

So good practice IMO is done with your "game load". Not a different load.

Your opinion indicates faulty reasoning and logic.

So, after all is said and done, why don't you just stop trolling?

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I want to know exactly what my "game loads" are going to do.

So, after all is said and done, why don't you just stop trolling?

Wow!! Sharing 40 years of shooting experince is called trolling?? I actually thought you and I were having a discussion. I guess not. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agree 100% on "tactical".... I'm waiting for the tactical condom and tampon (for our ladies in uniform). Full camo so you couldn't find it in the dark.
Yup cast bullets are great and in any caliber that is under 2000 fps will kill just as well as jacketed. IME in handguns a hardcast is superior to any jacketed bullet when you really want penetration.
I rather doubt Remington will ruin Barnes, rather they will give non-handloaders access to a superior bullet in ore factory rounds than now available.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
And to think Remington's been around for quite a while!! Just think what some folks would say if a young outfit like, oh maybe, Savage was involved!!

Several older rifles I've had around for a while never liked the older Barnes X bullets. One recent Remington Classic in 8x57 loves them. I just started shooting the TSX a couple of weeks back and really like their accuracy and velocities. I also like the performance of the new Horndaddy GMX on elk.

I guess I suck......

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hey just a friendly reminder, Remington was purchased by the Freedom Group. Remington didn't purchase Barnes, the Freedom Group did. Now I might be splitting hairs here but they also own DPMS, Bushmaster, Dakota, Parker, Marlin, NEF blah blah blah.

We know its a win for Freedom because they now have a product that has been hit with a spot light for lead ban hunting. Its a win for Barnes having an infusion of capital and even greater marketing power. Now is it a win for the consumer? We'll have to wait and see. The folks at Barnes are still there. Ty is awesome!!! Personally, I love RCBS, Speer, and CCI, but I'm not a huge fan of their parent company ATK. That said, I'm glad they didn't pick up Barnes.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
SST Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nobody likes to see prices go up on anything they buy.

But when I go out plinking, the cost of my ammo is less than I would spend at the movies. I don't plink with premium ammo.

I normally fire only two or three rounds during deer season, and that puts all the meat in the freezer that we can eat.

When I go hunting, the cost of ammo is, by far, the cheapest part of my season. I grew up with Nosler Partitions. Even though I agree that it doesn't take a $1.00 bullet to anchor a deer, I use Partitions anyway. Why not? Since the bucks where I hunt can field dress between 200 and 300 pounds, I have the confidence to take a large bodied buck at less than perfect angles, I haven't recovered a Partition since 1969, and the buck's haven't expressed any complaints.

I can't find any good reasons to switch to Barnes, but for those who use Barnes, I don't believe the sale will affect anybody's hunting experiences.

Regards,
Sam Taylor
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

SST's Rifle Room
http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom/
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Please accept my apology. I certainly didn't mean to take up your time."

Hey Hogg, some folks just want to establish a pecking order. Doesn't matter, ignore it.

Last edited by boomtube; 02/19/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Suppose some folks will ever figure ou that Remington hasn't bought anything, but rather has been bought by a "master company" that is buying a batch of related companies?

Had a conversation with Coni at the Mule Deer Foundation conference last week, and it sure doesn't sound like they plan to depart the agenda.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,413
Posts18,507,144
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.