-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
What's the US Customs procedure to register guns to take from the US so they can be returned?

Specifically, does one have to take them to a Customs office to do this?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep, take it to coustoms and they issue the form to you. i would suggest taking anything that isn't made in the usa that's high dollar with you and have them put those serial # on the form for you. It just proves ownership so taxes aren't collected.
Regards,
Paul

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a bit of a pain, but if you take the same stuff overseas again you can use the form over and over. I have my "Africa" rifles, cameras, binos etc on one form, and have it laminated for reuse.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the answer, Paul.

So I'm entirely clear, must each gun to be taken out of the US and returned be hauled down to a Customs Office for inspection and registery? Is this also required of US manufactured pieces?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, you have to physically take the gun, camera, watch or whatever it is down to the customs office. Otherwise they have no way to verify that you had it in the states before you left. I saw some guys coming in through Kennedy a few years ago who lacked the form for their US made rifles and were getting a ration of grief from an obviously gun-hating customs witch---they may still be at the airport.
Do it once, laminate it, and don't worry about it again.

You can do it on your flight out, but can be a major time delay, and could cause you to miss a connection. Better to do it ahead of time

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Definately do it ahead of time. If you don't know what you will take then just bring them all! only takes a couple of minutes and it saves some serious hassle! I, of course got the gun hater and with form in hand waited 1 hour at the counter for the guy to give me the all clear! The guy returning from dove huning in argentina without the form made it through in 15 minutes. I timed it while we stood next to each other.
It is deffinatly a must do. They'll mess with you if they can. just best not to give em a reason.
Regards,
Paul

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
almost forgot. Be sure to leave plenty of time on both sides to clear customs! better to wait an hour or two at the terminal then to miss the flight. JMO.
Regards,
Paul

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,466
Posts18,529,218
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.