-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I replaced all my M700 bolt shrouds and firing pin assemblies with Callahan's. I can't imagine the lock time is that much shorter than the non-speedlock Callahan - its is dang quick!

I like 'em alot.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Will the Callahan fit a Model 7 as well?

Buy once, cry once.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Call up PTG as I am fairly certain they are the manufacturer of
"Callahan" shrouds, and yes they make Model 7 and XP100 length assemblies.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

Good point.
Are the Model 7 bolts the same as the Model 700 SA bolts?

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just post my question here.(No hi-jack intended)

I have one of the Callahan Speedlock pins and am very happy with it. The black anodized aluminum shroud doesn't match perfectly but it's not bad at all IMO.

Also, I have a Ti on the way that has the J-lock and I will certainly be replacing it. I have looked at both the Callahan and Gre-Tan offerings. Going by the pictures on the web sites it looks as though the "silver" Gre-Tan model will come closest to matching the factory finish. The Callahan looks too polished and the Gre-Tan looks to be more matte.

I don't really have a problem with adding a colored one (I might just go that route), I just wanted to know what's the best option if one was trying to match the factory metal. If anyone has pics of either or both I would love to see them posted here. Thanks.

Nail

What about guns?When do we get guns?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Callahan looks too polished

what's the best option if one was trying to match the factory metal.

Bead blast it and it'll be a near perfect match.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DMB

Good point.

Nope, different lengths.

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure, that would work, but I'm more interested in the appearance as it would be upon arrival to my doorstep. Out of the box so to speak.

More to the point, if anyone has a pic of the Gre-Tan "silver" assembly I'd appreciate a peek at it.

Nail

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
Originally Posted by DMB

Good point.

Nope, different lengths.

MtnHtr

I think Gre-Tan has a Model 7 offering.

Nail

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nail
Sure, that would work, but I'm more interested in the appearance as it would be upon arrival to my doorstep. Out of the box so to speak.

More to the point, if anyone has a pic of the Gre-Tan "silver" assembly I'd appreciate a peek at it.

Nail

Sorry this isn't a better picture, but you can kind of see the Gre-tan shroud on this one. Its a LVSF 223 and the Gre-tan matched up pretty good. Depending on the angle you looked at it it was close.

I did just get my first Callahan Speedlock on Friday, up against the LSS 7mm-08 it will go on, its not a bad match also. I suppose one could try and maybe hit the schroud with some steel wool very lightly to blend?? But as is its not bad. On a Ti action I would think the Callahan might match better than the Gre-tan.

Also, if it would help, I can hold the Callahan next to a Ti, I have a Ti in 25-06 so can't put it on the bolt since its a SA but could take a quick pic to show the color.

Attached Images
IMG_0518.JPG (39.1 KB, 1476 downloads)
Last edited by Oregonmuley; 02/20/10.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

Sorry this isn't a better picture, but you can kind of see the Gre-tan shroud on this one. Its a LVSF 223 and the Gre-tan matched up pretty good. Depending on the angle you looked at it it was close.

I did just get my first Callahan Speedlock on Friday, up against the LSS 7mm-08 it will go on, its not a bad match also. I suppose one could try and maybe hit the schroud with some steel wool very lightly to blend?? But as is its not bad. On a Ti action I would think the Callahan might match better than the Gre-tan.

Also, if it would help, I can hold the Callahan next to a Ti, I have a Ti in 25-06 so can't put it on the bolt since its a SA but could take a quick pic to show the color.

Yes please, if you don't mind.
Thanks for the info as well and nice rifle.

Nail

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nail

Yes please, if you don't mind.
Thanks for the info as well and nice rifle.

Nail

Well, here you go. After looking and comparing them the Callahan doesn't really match either one very well. I thought it would match the Ti better but its way off. When I had the Gre-tan, it really matches regular stainless much better. The Gre-tan almost kind of looks matte coated, this one is just polished.
Anyway, hope this helps. Sorry for the poor pics - the one of the bolt is maybe the best to compare - this is out of a Alaskan Ti though, not sure if the 1st Gen looks exactly the same or not.

Attached Images
IMG_0529.JPG (54.77 KB, 477 downloads)
IMG_0530.JPG (42.71 KB, 456 downloads)
IMG_0531.JPG (58.17 KB, 1420 downloads)
IMG_0532.JPG (54.09 KB, 657 downloads)
IMG_0533.JPG (51.94 KB, 529 downloads)

"Team 7MM-08"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter
Originally Posted by DMB

Good point.

Nope, different lengths.

MtnHtr
bolt shroud diff. too

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Anyway, hope this helps. Sorry for the poor pics - the one of the bolt is maybe the best to compare - this is out of a Alaskan Ti though, not sure if the 1st Gen looks exactly the same or not.

No worries. I appreciate your help.

From what I've seen and have gathered so far I may just go with the black Callahan. There will be black rings,scope, and stock so maybe it'll look OK. Then again the red will receive consideration. Who knows?

Nail

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outside of benrchrest/target shooting what are the demonstrated advantages vs spending the same money on an optics upgrade or a gym membership?

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Lighter weight overall is the only advantage I'm looking for.

Already have the optics upgrade and the workouts down pretty well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Lighter weight overall is the only advantage I'm looking for.

Already have the optics upgrade and the workouts down pretty well.

Well, you will get that, it shaved off 2.1 oz over the factory shroud/firing pin.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found this thread and i thought this might be away to shave some OZ's off my Ti. I went to look at the rifle and the bolt shroud has a shiny brushed aluminum look to it. I bought the gun used, so i was hoping one of you can look at the pictures and tell me if it already has one on it. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images
101_0523 (Custom).JPG (50.14 KB, 1228 downloads)
101_0524 (Custom).JPG (44.09 KB, 420 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like one of the Callahan versions to me.

Check out the third photo attached in Oregonmuley's post above if you haven't already. Shows the aftermarket sitting next to the original Ti one. The original bolt and shroud match perfectly while yours looks identical to the Callahan.

Nail

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nail,

You can buy the factory (Remington) replacement from Brownell's. I'd guess that would match closer than any of the other ones. It's also cheaper and comes with that cool looking fluted firing pin (not that you can see it once it's installed).

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=26508/pid=0/sku/Firing_Pin_Assembly__SS__SA

-Dan

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (338reddog, 300_savage, 308xray, 16penny, 280shooter, 27 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,261
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.