Print Thread
Hop To
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I heard about this on a local talk radios station ad:

http://teludynetech.com/index.cfm

Is this for real? I went to the website and under the FAQ's I saw some interesting/bold claims, ar they accurate? Here is an example:

The process for shooting a rifle over the years makes the barrel weaker due to the repeated heating and cooling process. It takes the temper out of the steel. This process repeated time and time again weakens the barrel causing an increase in barrel harmonics. These harmonics behave differently at different temperatures causing your shots to scatter. The rigidity of the StraightJacket Barrel System reduces these increasing harmonics causing the rifle to act like new. In some cases the rifle performs better than ever.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Could not tell you for sure...

I can tell you that I have had more than one gun that would love a load at the beginning of its life with me and eventually after shooting wheather it be 500-1000 rounds down the barrel the load would become less accurate than when first developed. I was able to fix the problem by developing a new load. I don't think a straightjacket barrel system is required.

Mostly looks like another suckers bet to me.

Last edited by heavywalker; 02/19/10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Snake oil.

Quote: "significantly improve accuracy by removing the harmonic waves"

Seems far fetched. I would guess it could work to some degree, but why not just install a good custom barrel if you want to spend money on a rifle.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Happened to me as well, but discovered that it had much to do with pronounced throat erosion.

Seating the bullets further out brought back the "newness" of that particular rifle. I suppose such an approach might help others with their rifles becoming "less accruate" as well......IMHO.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Remember the Browning Boss system. Does anyone have good reports from these rifles?

I have not had one and could not report on either system.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Waterguy
Remember the Browning Boss system? Does anyone have good reports from these rifles?

Seems that people who have them, except me, like them. Those who have gotten rid of them, don't. Go figure, huh?

The muzzle brake version is deafening. Overall, it just puts weight in the wrong place for handling and balance. The Boss doesn't accomplish much for a reloader. People who have them think they're accurate. Besides it's 20" barrel, I find a lot to dislike about the rifle in general.
1. The stainless ones can't be re-barreled.
2. The trigger is cast and can be broken. No one makes a replacement.
3. While I like the idea of a three-lug bolt, I also like to be able to strip it. This thing's way complicated.
4. The tang-mounted safety is very nice, until you look at the implementation - a baling-wire actuator.
5. The bottom-metal is two-piece, with one screw retaining each piece. Not my choice for dangerous game.

I suppose something nice should be said about the magazine design, sort of a combination box, detachable affair. The elevator-type magazine spring works well, but could also be considered a solution to a non-problem - no one's bothered to copy it.

"Every country has the government it deserves." - Joseph de Maistre
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Waterguy
Remember the Browning Boss system. Does anyone have good reports from these rifles?

I have not had one and could not report on either system.

I have the BOSS system on a Winchester 70 Classic rifle. My hunting buddy has a Browning with the BOSS. Both of us like this system. You can tune your barrel's harmonics for almost any load. I say almost because, though neither of us have yet to find a load that the BOSS system hasn't been able to make very accurate, we haven't come close to trying all the possible loads that are out there. I should note that for the rifles we both have with the BOSS, we do not reload, since they are common calibers with plenty of factory options. Regarding the loudness of the BOSS, it has been reported by knowledgeable shooters that it is very loud. I really don't notice it (nor does my buddy), since we wear electronic hearing protection whether we're at the range or hunting. Since we both hunt from stands, wearing such hearing protection poses no problems. Though neither of us originally bought the BOSS system for recoil reduction, it does a good job in this regard.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,042
Posts18,482,067
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.