Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac
Stan....Newt's star is going to rise.

There was a time I was a huge supporter....no one can speak and deliver a message like Newt.

All American

All the time

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by Stan V
.....but, you can't ignore defense! Come on!! Some of y'all need to pull your heads out of the dark.....

The Us spends more on Defense than every other country in the world COMBINED. Our closest competitor, China, spends about 1/10th what we do.

Do I want a strong military,..dam right I do. But I sure as hell don't think it's our responsibility to protect the rest of the world on our dime as we let other countries spend their resources on their economy.

+1

+2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by mike762
What PM's?

Besides, Paul is all for national defense, just not for maintaining bases in 120 countries around the world at our own cost, or fighting undeclared wars.

Mike, you know the military can't function without forward bases, or an intel agency (he's called for abolishing the intel apparatus, as well). Load up and pull out of SWA....yeah, that's a good plan to defend America. Weakness and retreat would be guarantees of more attacks on us and our allies.

And his BS about just abolishing the income tax and the central bank are just silliness.

he says a lot of good stuff, but so does Glenn Beck. He says too much ridiculous stuff to be taken as a serious man or a serious candidate.

I understand about forward basing, especially IRT logistics, but having men in 120 countries around the world and all at our expense? Why do we still have troops garrisoning Japan and Germany? Let them pick up the tab for their defense, or pay us for it, and not by purchasing our debt. All that does is make us beholden to them. Let them pay us what it costs. Same with the rest of the freeloading world. This activity has us well along the road to bankruptcy, because between military expenditures and our social programs, we cannot afford it anymore. Something has to give, and expenditures for defending people who can afford to defend themselves is one that has to end.

What's silly about abolishing the IRS and going to a straight flat tax paid by everyone-no exceptions, and no "progressivity". I would even go with a consumption tax if we could rid ourselves of the 16th Amendment. At least with either a universal flat tax or a consumption tax, everyone would have skin in the game, and would be much more wary about how and why funds were spent.

You already know my feelings on the Fed. When the ponzi scheme that is the Fed implodes under its own weight of debt, and we're held liable for it, and our currency is finally destroyed by the Feds activities, then maybe people will understand how pernicious an institution it is. There's a very good reason that most of the founders did not want a central bank, and you're seeing the reason why unfold every day.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I understand about forward basing, especially IRT logistics, but having men in 120 countries around the world and all at our expense? Why do we still have troops garrisoning Japan and Germany? Let them pick up the tab for their defense, or pay us for it, and not by purchasing our debt. All that does is make us beholden to them. Let them pay us what it costs. Same with the rest of the freeloading world. This activity has us well along the road to bankruptcy, because between military expenditures and our social programs, we cannot afford it anymore. Something has to give, and expenditures for defending people who can afford to defend themselves is one that has to end.

I've yet to hear a good counter argument from the pro nation building crowd.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mike,
Very well thought out and very well delivered. You sum it up nicely. Add several other small items as part of the fiscal insanity such as continuing to fund the postal service instead of giving it to Fed Ex or UPS, the unfunded liability in Medicair and SS, and an administration that thinks it can buy anything no matter the cost and we have a perscription for disaster.
Balanced Budget Amendment, Term Limits,and rid our Congress of all incumbants regardless of the party and the cure begins. My order is backward because we won't get item #1 or #2 until we the people purge the halls of government.
The real sad thing here is practically every state has hundreds of billions of unfunded liability problems as well. I used to dismiss Beck as a nambling naysayer of negativity. Unfortunatley the guy has it right regards the fiscal incompetance.

Dave

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rrroae

I've yet to hear a good counter argument from the pro nation building crowd.

hard put to separate logical from illogical, it just leaves you "ill"

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

What's silly about abolishing the IRS and going to a straight flat tax paid by everyone-no exceptions, and no "progressivity". I would even go with a consumption tax if we could rid ourselves of the 16th Amendment. At least with either a universal flat tax or a consumption tax, everyone would have skin in the game, and would be much more wary about how and why funds were spent.

You already know my feelings on the Fed. When the ponzi scheme that is the Fed implodes under its own weight of debt, and we're held liable for it, and our currency is finally destroyed by the Feds activities, then maybe people will understand how pernicious an institution it is. There's a very good reason that most of the founders did not want a central bank, and you're seeing the reason why unfold every day.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RP= creepy. Creepy people sell records but not votes.

Last edited by ltppowell; 02/22/10.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve , I've found you to be right more often than not, but [and I'm not an R P er] the fact is that we don't KNOW what would happen were we to pull out of a bunch of countries militarily and stop this discredited nation building strategy .

Anybody showing an inclination to roll the dice [ like Goldwater ] and depending on our country to manage the aftermath , has always been branded a " kook " .

Life is full of chances and trying to avoid ANY downside to an option is a sure path to failure .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
What's silly about abolishing the IRS and going to a straight flat tax paid by everyone-no exceptions, and no "progressivity". I would even go with a consumption tax if we could rid ourselves of the 16th Amendment.
Never happen without blood in the streets. Nor should it. Billionaires at the same tax rate as a couple kids working three jobs trying to feed a couple of kids? That would give the Obama's of the world all they need to bring real live marxism to America.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Then you might as well resign yourself to continued class warfare and "tax the rich" rhetoric, with a concomitant continued expansion of the welfare state.

When 51% of the public can vote to tax the other 49% into oblivion, there's no reason to continue working to support the system. Eventually, you run out of other peoples money and the system collapses.

Unless everyone has skin in the game, and receives the same level of taxation, nothing changes. An 11% flat tax on everyone, including business, would cover our current expenditures. Not having participation by all citizens is what started this problem, and it won't end as long as some feel it is their right to take other peoples property for their own benefit.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Steve , I've found you to be right more often than not, but [and I'm not an R P er] the fact is that we don't KNOW what would happen were we to pull out of a bunch of countries militarily and stop this discredited nation building strategy .

Anybody showing an inclination to roll the dice [ like Goldwater ] and depending on our country to manage the aftermath , has always been branded a " kook " .

Life is full of chances and trying to avoid ANY downside to an option is a sure path to failure .

=============

Well, for one, Russia and China would probably assume tenancy. 2nd, our presence assures rapid,necessary forward movement of air strikes and delivery of supplies to battle areas in timely fashion and many of you, I suggest, are completely ignoring our forward base's impact regarding the maintenance and continuation of global capitalism. Maintaining military power on these forward bases insures continued world capitalism which, of course, is necessary for the maintenance and continuation of economic globalization.

It's because we are there that we live the way we do here!!

Cut at home, there's plenty of room here to make a huge forward progress styled dent. The taxation scheme Mike speaks of, deportation of illegals and a shut down of 70% of the handouts this country gives would be more than a significant beginning to recovery. Our national defense and strategically placed forward bases need be left untouched for the most part to maintain that which we now take for granted.

You all don't seem to mind the Guantanamo forward base policy now that they wish to try these POSs in the states. If you wish to place our competitive super powers in our forward bases in our stead, then I'd suggest you're focusing on a very simple aspect of the global picture and not the broader ramifications.

Last edited by isaac; 02/22/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

It's because we are there that we live the way we do here!!

Well,...that much is true.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RickyD
What's silly about abolishing the IRS and going to a straight flat tax paid by everyone-no exceptions, and no "progressivity". I would even go with a consumption tax if we could rid ourselves of the 16th Amendment.
Never happen without blood in the streets. Nor should it. Billionaires at the same tax rate as a couple kids working three jobs trying to feed a couple of kids? That would give the Obama's of the world all they need to bring real live marxism to America.

It absolutely should. The math, and concept is simple. The billionaires will pay much, much, much ... more than the poor. A flat percentage of a whole lot, is a whole lot. A flat percentage of very little, is very little. If everyone pays a flat percentage, they all have a stake. And my how wonderfully simple filling out the income tax return would be. Granted, H&R Block and friends would need to seek new hunting grounds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just finished his book, Arguing with Idiots.

If you haven't read it yet, wait no longer!

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stan....Newt's star is going to rise.

rise to what?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Contention.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
who do you think he would team with?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Romney.

William Arthur Ward

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gingrich/Romney or Romney/Gingrich? Newt gives a good speech, but I have reservations. Give him a maybe. Romney? No way, no how. RINO through and through, regardless of his business background. There are plenty in business who are more than willing to spend OPM on their pet ideas.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,017
Posts18,481,625
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.