Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Was perusing the latest copy of The Drake and started to notice the adds for species specific fly line. Got to wondering if any here used that or what their opinion was.

I fly fish only for steelhead and smallies. So a species specific line would make sense - that is if there is something actually to it...

Me

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can't say that I have Teal...sorry, no help here...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal
Was perusing the latest copy of The Drake and started to notice the adds for species specific fly line. Got to wondering if any here used that or what their opinion was.

I used a lot of teeny nymph lines when I lived in Washington and while they're not species specific they're pretty much a big fly shooting line (I used the sink tips) just used for Salmon and Steelhead. Worked great for that, useless for anything else.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah I guess I used a species specific ( Though not the name brand) line on pike...got a fast sink rocket taper to fish big-azz streamers 15 feet deep...it worked grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never used them....seems like Rio is leading the pack coming out with species specific lines. I know Rio makes a bass line that has a larger, shorter taper that might work well for you Teal. Should turn fly over pretty easily.

I line up a some of my rods for various reasons. My 10ft 6wt wears #7 line and my 9wt wears a #10 line. All others wear matching lines

btw....The DRAKE is my favorite fishing rag out there.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cortland used to make a line called a Quiet taper for small streams. Kind of a bug taper line in a three/four weight. I liked it a lot but they no longer make them.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HuntKY
btw....The DRAKE is my favorite fishing rag out there.

The Drake and the new one, the Flyfish Journal are easily mine as well. Excellent photography and coffee table worthy.

Me

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I really think that more than species specific, they are application specific. My "bonefish" line throws small flies a long way. When permit fishing in a heavy wind I use the tarpon line as the head of the line is more concentrated up front to help cheat the wind. Pike lines (F) are very much like tarpon lines, but the coating is different so they don't work as well in the warm water, they just seem to limp away.ymmv

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Andrew...have you checked out www.thisisfly.com? It's a great online flyfishing magazine. If you're into the Drake, I would think you would enjoy ThisIsFly too.

Thanks for the heads up on The Flyfishing Journal, I'll check that out.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LL Bean had a sale, and I bought Scientific Angler Bonefish and Striped Bass lines. We'll see if they are any better. My Cortland 444 Trout lines aren't any different from my old 444 lines except they change color where the weight forward section ends.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Species-specific fly lines... Be careful in here. Some of these guys have species-specific pickup lines...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ha - was just kicking around the idea of a "steelhead" line for my new Sage. I'll have to talk more with the guys at the shop.

Me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 47 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.