Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
What are some of your training routines/techniques for staying fit during off season and prior to upcoming season?

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Pretty much year around my training includes:

- lifting weights several times per week

- hiking up a local hill several times per week with a 60 pound pack. The hill gains almost 1000 feet in elevation in just about 1 mile.

Hiking the hill pays great dividends come hunting season as there is very few other activities, IMO, that can be performed in a traditional gym that mimmick the down hill part involved in descending mountains.

A couple of years ago I climbed Mount Rainier out in Washington. One of the gentleman who went on the trip with us only trained for the trip using a stair master he had in his office. He certainly had no problems making it to the top of the mountain, but the descent was brutal for him. Another guy and myself took turns carrying his pack off the mountain. That trip certainly brought to light the fact that training for the descent is almost as important as the uphill climb.

How about your Archer, what's your training regiment include?

Levi

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Levi
.....there is very few other activities, IMO, that can be performed in a traditional gym that mimmick the down hill part involved in descending mountains.

Levi

Spot on, the downhill can be very brutal. The last 1500ft of descent of a 3000ft'er can be excruciating. I take glucosamine and do scouting trips just before the season in addition to the treadmill/weights.

MtnHtr

A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks Levi- One thing I had not considered fully is how you mentioned the descent. That's the hardest on joints I think. My routine lately has not been anywhere near your level but I have been doing squats and core muscle training to help in shouldering the load as well as walking the archery course here. It's more cardio than climbing but it beats the heck out of a treadmill any day and its fun! I was curious about a stair stepper so I'm glad you mentioned that. Seems good for uphill but as you mentioned doesn't help at all in the descent. I'm eagerly awaiting spring so I can do more actual ascent/descent work in the Chugach Mountains. Still full of snow and hi chance of avalanche. So, for now mostly inside work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Levi, you pretty much nailed it right there... I'm one of the unlucky bastids that has to be careful with my knees on downhills. I tore the hell out of them wrestling in High-School...

About all I can do at the gym that helps is when I do my front leg extensions, I make sure to bring it up to darn near hyperextended... Hold it a while... And let it down REAL slow. No other weight training helps the knees on downhill. However, lean muscle mass is never a bad thing laugh

To the OP, I do a lot of cardio on an eliptical, Stairstepper, Spin Bike, and I max out the incline on the treadmill and walk as fast as I can without breaking into a jog (running pounds the crap out of my joints) I feel like cardio is probably the best thing a guy can do for his overall health and stamina. Weight training is great, but it won't do much for your stamina or lifespan. Don't turn into a protien/ZMA/Creatine junkie... Mix up the cardio, and do a lot of it. Get in at least 35 minutes AT your target heart rate, the warm up and cool down don't count...

Not only will a gym membership make you a better hunter, you'll live a lot longer, and feel better. Believe it or not, you can be in great shape, and still have a 8 Lbs beer-gut wink A little gut is great for keeping your waist strap pushed down laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
mountain trail running. we're up to about 30 miles/week now in training.

first race is in 5 weeks (25K) followed by another 25K in May then a 50K and a 50mile over the summer.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Archer,
Dang, having the Chugach mountain range in your backdoor must be terrific! I've never been to AK, but it's on my dream list of places to visit.

Dan,
Your absolutely right, never judge a book by it's cover. I've seen some pretty average looking, slightly overweight men, perform some pretty impressive cardio feets. Having a belly has little to do with the type of cardio, or strength for that manner, that somebody is in.

Utah,
You say you are currently up to 30 miles per week in training. You mind sharing more specifics...How many days per week do you run, and for how many miles. I ask because I am seriously considering running a local 30k mountain race in August. I figure I better start training more specific for a mountain run if I'm going to do it.

Levi

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've been hiking in the same woods I like to hunt in these last few days. I'm going to start climbing up mountains this next month to glass for bears. I can't do the treadmill thing, as much as I'd like too. I need to be outside doing something.

One of the more fun things I've been doing is hiking somewhere, starting a campfire, and cooking lunch. Starting a good fire in the rainforest using just a Bic lighter is a fun challenge.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Levi,

my wife and I are entered into the "Buffalo Run" on Antelope Island the end of March (usually the first race of the season). They host a 25K, 50K & 50 miles. We've only run races up to about 20 miles to date and are doing the lamest one.

Right now we're running 5-4-5-rest-50min cross-13-strength (T-W-T-F-S-S). We live in the shadow of a 9500' mtn and have 50+ miles of trails 2 blocks from the driveway.

This schedule increases by 2-3 miles/week. We'll eventually bump up to running 5 days a week, then six by mid-summer.

We were up to 20 miles on the long runs last July when I blew out my ankle. I muddled through elk season last year and so far this year, conditioning has come back much quicker than I'd hoped.

We've also run the X-terra series a couple times (10-12 races over the summer with the longest at 13 miles) but got bored with it.

It help a lot to have a local racing community to train with/ race against in terms of motivation.

A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Calvin,

I've been thinking of doing the same thing as you in regards to hiking to a destination, have lunch, glass and back home. Can't wait for the snow to melt. It beats the heck out of any indoor workout. For time constraints though an inside workout fills is hard to beat.

IC B3

A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Levi,

It is really nice to live here. There's times I don't truly appreciate the majesty of it all here. I'm trying to change that - that's why I've taken proactive steps to getting the body back where it should have been all along!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mountain running and backpacking

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Utahlefty,
Thanks for the training information. I really would like to perform just one ultramarathon. Figure a 30k would be about perfect to train for.

My hat is certainly off ultrarunners like yourself.

As a side note, I can remember just like it was yesterday, years ago when Ed T told me that he had run multiple 100k ultramarathons. Still amazes me people run 100k races!

Thanks again.

Levi

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I think Ed runs the "real" ultras --- 100 milers (not 100k)

maybe someday.....

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My favorite method of training is to have Levi & Les as hunting partners.

Ed T

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Resistance training and walking loaded...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't believe I am replying to this as I am definitely not in shape. But, will say that working towards an event really helps me get/stay motivated. I've done short triathalons in the past and am thinking I'll try a 1/2 marathon this summer. Peanuts compared to some, but quit a challege for me.

If you want to really spice up your resistance/weight training take a hard look at crossfit.com. Though I've gotten away from it, when I was consitent with the program I could definitely see the results.

A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
My lungs are imploding just thinking about running a marathon! Hats off to you guys! I'm gradually increasing weights/reps/quarter miles to my current routine. I agree with Pointer - I have the best success when I have a goal/hunt that I'm training for rather than to do it to be fit. Absolutely, nothing wrong with that (I wish I had the motivation and dedication) it just seems harder for me. Just my .02

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Running, lifting, backpacking, snowshoeing, cardio training in the gym...I try to do as much as I can and have been at it for 25+ years...I've always said the hardest part is when you leave the gym. The things you put into your body are as important as the physical training.

I'm lucky having the career I have keeping me out in the hills hunting coyotes year around...I think a guy will benefit by always staying fit. Develop a system that works for you and stick with it.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Archer- Run in the snow. Also take a daypack and climb up Bird Ridge. That is an awesome hike right now and it has the right amount of snow with less avalanche danger.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,130
Posts18,502,601
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.