Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I recently bought a HS Precision rifle in 300 wsm. I took it to the smith to have him mount the scope and borescope it. When I returned, the told me the the bolt was not trued and that I should also consider bedding it. He told me that it will make it shoot better than what it will do w/o having this done. The rifle now shoots between 1/2"-3/4". Will having this done REALLY help any that would be noticed?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A 300WSM that shoots nice round consistent 3/4" groups would be 'good enough' in my books. I wouldn't touch it.

I have a varmint rifle in a HS stock that throws regular fliers, so am getting it bedded (along with a trigger tune and recrown).

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's hard to say that yes it will help. That said, if it's done properly it won't hurt a thing. My one and only HS stock has bedding compound in it.

Terry

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I would be hesitant to change anything on a sporting firearm that shoots 1/2" to 3/4".

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have only seen one HS stock that did not benefit from bedding, resulting in groups where the bullets touch.

Having said this, the 1/2"-3/4" groups is darn good for just about any kind of hunting until you consider shooting 600 yards or so.

I'd wish you good luck, but you already have it!

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I bedded my HS!

It improved the accuracy substantially!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Remmy VS 22-250 that sits in an HS precision stock. I can take the action out of the stock & put it back in & be within .5" of the previous sight in...it's a true .5" rifle to boot... I adjusted the trigger, pinned the recoil lug & turned it in to my switch barrel gun. I lapped the bolt lugs myself. My stock is NOT bedded... would it shoot better? I don't know. I'm happy with how it shoots now. Need to ask yourself if it's worth spending the 100 bucks to get it bedded & ???$ to get the bolt trued for a "possible" .25~.5" increase in accuracy. Need to ask yourself if it's neccesary for it to be a .25" rifle...what are you using it for? I'm not sure a 300WSM would be a consistent .25" chambering.

Hey Varmint !... "Hoggin' Heaven" Is Where You're Goin' When I'm Done!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why would ANYONE in their right mind use any kind of product from HS Precision?

One of their spokesman is Lon Horiuchi,
the killer-sniper who murdered Vicki Weaver by shooting her in the face as she held her [then] infant daughter!

I along with many people have complained and protested to
HS Precision about having such a killer as LON HORIUCHI as their spokesman.

I will never EVER use any of their products and will boycott them indefinitely! - for life!

Some will say they weren't aware Horiuchi has ties with HS Precision.

Others will say they don't care and I should shut up.
(not as long as I have breath in my lungs!)

Next time you're handling your HS Precision rifle,

REMEMBER it was built by a company that condones killers of women and civilians!

Happy shooting.
smirk wink

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
StubbleDuck, can you ellaborate on this a little for those of us who know nothing of the incident that you speak of?

Thanks in advance!

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If you want to check your HS stock with the bedding block to see if it needs bedding or not do the following:

1. stand the rifle on it's butt with the muzzle standing straight
up, preferably on a counter top

2. For right hand shooters, jam your index finger on your left
hand inbetween the barrel and the end of the stock from
the underside as if
you were trying to push the bottom of the barrel up with
your finger.

3. Now, loosen the front guard screw. As you loosen the front
guard screw, you may be shocked as to how much the barrel "springs" away from your finger.

If your gun does not need bedding, then you will feel no movement at all.

It is not uncommon for rifles bedded properly in an HS stock to shoot with the shots all touching with many loads. Of course, the more the recoil of a rifle, the less this statement is true. The last HS stock that I bedded was a 300 RUM, and it shot 5/8"- 3/4" groups with the 180's doing 3350 fps after bedding,

Whistle Pig's comments are very valid...it is difficult for some of to be practical, I'm not excessive compulsive, just extremely well focused.

Last edited by keith; 02/23/10.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Keith, read up on the Randy Weaver fiasco that happened in Ruby Ridge, ID. Lon was the government sharpshooter that shot Randy's wife Vicki in the head while she was standing in the doorway holding their infant daughter. Rather than me repeat the entire story, here is the Wikipedia version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Weaver

This version made it sound like an accident, but other accounts say that it was deliberate and that the government had given orders of shoot to kill. Suffice it to say that there was enough tampering with evidence by the FBI that the judge took action against them and Randy Weaver later won a settlement. Still doesn't bring back his dead loved ones or the ordeal the surviving kids went through.

HS Precision brought out Lon as a spokesman for them for a time.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That was shocking to say the least.

Thanks for the heads up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,812
Posts18,516,495
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.