Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mike762
Good post, but I would take exception to the "fair" word IRT making laws. That is the road that liberals and progressives have used to implement a progressive income tax, as well as other social equalization legislation. Is it fair that someone is smarter or more productive than his neighbor? No, but the libs think that laws can make it so. It extends to other areas too, especially economics. I think equality before the law is a much better yardstick, where no man is given a either advantage or disadvantage because of his circumstance or connections.
The meaning of "fair" is different for liberals and conservatives. For a liberal, fair means equality of outcome enforced by state power. For a conservative it means equality of the ground rules, and let the chips fall where they may based on individual capability, fortune, effort, etc. To a conservative, making sure the rules of a baseball game are applied without any consideration for the differences in the abilities of the two teams or the individual players equates to a fair game. To a liberal, a fair baseball game is one where the less able team is given some degree of favoritism by bending the rules a little, and making sure that everybody gets an equal amount of time in play, regardless of their ability. A conservative thinks the latter, by definition, unfair, and the liberal thinks the former, by definition, unfair.

How explain this difference? Liberalism is a mental disorder.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Good post, but I would take exception to the "fair" word IRT making laws. That is the road that liberals and progressives have used to implement a progressive income tax, as well as other social equalization legislation. Is it fair that someone is smarter or more productive than his neighbor? No, but the libs think that laws can make it so. It extends to other areas too, especially economics. I think equality before the law is a much better yardstick, where no man is given a either advantage or disadvantage because of his circumstance or connections.

I see your point, and agree that when idiots are involved in the interpretation of FAIR, one can run many miles in the wrong direction. I see no difference in the word "fair" and the phrase "equality before the law." But perhaps the phrase is more specific, and God knows, we need specificity in our laws in an age of "What is the meaning of IS?" Point taken wink.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think any time one is dealing with politicians and dissemblers, language needs to be very precise. An unfortunate, but true, aspect of living in our age.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is not directed at anyone in particular - it's more of an " if the shoe fits , wear it" - comment :

I didn't know until Ricky pointed it out , and I take his word for it on the black part of the bible , that the bible devotes so much space to money , but it makes sense that it would . Jesus also talked more about Satan than He did about the Father .

Both sound like warnings to me .

That's why when I read christians on here spending so much typing time on taxes , I wonder if maybe their priorities ain't a little skewed .

If the gov't left you more money , what you gonna do with it ? Maybe " lay it up here on earth " ?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by curdog4570
If the gov't left you more money , what you gonna do with it ? Maybe " lay it up here on earth " ?

Like it's any business of yours?

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by curdog4570
This is not directed at anyone in particular - it's more of an " if the shoe fits , wear it" - comment :

I didn't know until Ricky pointed it out , and I take his word for it on the black part of the bible , that the bible devotes so much space to money , but it makes sense that it would . Jesus also talked more about Satan than He did about the Father .

Both sound like warnings to me .

That's why when I read christians on here spending so much typing time on taxes , I wonder if maybe their priorities ain't a little skewed .

That would come down to the free choice aspect of biblical teachings, and is not for some entity here on earth to decide, at least not in a free society.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't have you in mind when I wrote it .

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Christ didn't advocate coercion either
Advocate? No. Acknowledge the presence and continuation of coercion, most certainly He did, and that included not just coercion but major persecution all the way to horrible deaths. Of course, He wasn't wrong.

Forcing others to give as you would give is just that. That's what charity is for.
We weren't talking about charity but taxes to run the government.

You believe it's fine to pay the same tax % that someone making a shadow of what you or I do. Sure that would be great for us, but I do not believe it is either fair or in the best interest of the country. Put people in a situation where they cannot meet their essential needs and they will dispair or rebel. There is much more of that coming, and soon.

I don't feel like going into any detail beyond that. I have much to do today and need to get to it.

We can agree to disagree. Have a nice day.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RickyD
Christ didn't advocate coercion either
Advocate? No. Acknowledge the presence and continuation of coercion, most certainly He did, and that included not just coercion but major persecution all the way to horrible deaths. Of course, He wasn't wrong.

But that has nothing to do with the subject at hand and neatly sidestepped the point. You believe it is OK to coerce.

Forcing others to give as you would give is just that. That's what charity is for.
We weren't talking about charity but taxes to run the government.

You believe it's fine to pay the same tax % that someone making a shadow of what you or I do. Sure that would be great for us, but I do not believe it is either fair or in the best interest of the country.

Yes, I do think it's fair to pay a flat rate. The more you make, the more you pay. The less you make, the less you pay. It's simple and fair. Your idea of "fair" is charity by taxation, which is coercion.

I don't feel like going into any detail beyond that. I have much to do today and need to get to it.

Likewise, other than to say that sometimes one has to be hard with others if they are ever to grow and prosper. It's not something one has to be comfortable with, but one does what has to be done. And I can assure you, I come from a humble start.

We can agree to disagree. Have a nice day.

We agree on this much.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I strongly agree with most of Beck's basic conservative principals, but his shaky grasp on 20th century history keeps me from taking him very seriously. Specifically, his equating Theodore Roosevelt with the racist, elitist, self righteous Woodrow Wilson seems to be based on one book and not on any in depth historic study.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't know about TR being a racist, but he was one of the foremost progressive Republicans of his day, and set the stage for most of the items that killed the Republic as it was designed, namely, the 16th and 17th Amendments and the establishment of the Federal Reserve.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was trying to say Wilson was he racist, not TR. Your analysis of TR is the same as Beck's incorrect opinion.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So tell me where he and I are incorrect.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then you might as well resign yourself to continued class warfare and "tax the rich" rhetoric, with a concomitant continued expansion of the welfare state.

When 51% of the public can vote to tax the other 49% into oblivion, there's no reason to continue working to support the system. Eventually, you run out of other peoples money and the system collapses.

Unless everyone has skin in the game, and receives the same level of taxation, nothing changes. An 11% flat tax on everyone, including business, would cover our current expenditures. Not having participation by all citizens is what started this problem, and it won't end as long as some feel it is their right to take other peoples property for their own benefit.

Well said.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mac84
Then you might as well resign yourself to continued class warfare and "tax the rich" rhetoric, with a concomitant continued expansion of the welfare state.

When 51% of the public can vote to tax the other 49% into oblivion, there's no reason to continue working to support the system. Eventually, you run out of other peoples money and the system collapses.

Unless everyone has skin in the game, and receives the same level of taxation, nothing changes. An 11% flat tax on everyone, including business, would cover our current expenditures. Not having participation by all citizens is what started this problem, and it won't end as long as some feel it is their right to take other peoples property for their own benefit.

Well said.

Very well said!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I understand how percentages work. I also understand that those generating higher incomes typically utilize more of the infrastructure tax revenues go to support. That is why they should also pay a higher percentage ie progressive. Another thing I understand is those who support a non-progressive flat tax or a consumption tax believe it will benefit them financially, not because it is fair."

Gotta disagree. IME, the dregs are the biggest consumers of infrastructure resources in the community I work. It's not the mid to upper class folks who are calling 911 to come get their kids out of bed for school. They aren't the people calling for a "bamblance" ride to the hospital for some silly reason. The list goes on.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the 60's when LBJ was pres., there was talk of a flat tax. Someone figured out that a 5% tax on ALL income and a 10% tax on businesses would clear the deficit in less than 2 years. And this was during the Vietnam War. IIRC in 10 years there would be so much money accumulated that the taxes could have been reduced.

Of course the fat-cats didnt want to pay taxes, and money talks, so this idea was dropped... but they (congress) kept spending.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
a little off-subject, but i wonder how much he's being paid on an annual basis? anything he makes, is well worth it, not complaints. a dollar up front is far better than a dollar thirty years in the future, right?

so, how much do our favorite broadcasters make?? the Rush, the Hannity, the Beckman, etc..etc.

Entertainment pays well, doesn't it?? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some of it does . You , on the other hand , are free .grin

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[quote=curdog4570]Some of it does . You , on the other hand , are free .grin [/quote)

i'm beginning to think the Beck Man might be a self-serving entertainer? but, of course, i could be wrong, couldn't i??

entertainment for a fee, in order to stir the masses, what a concept. wink

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 69 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,696
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.