Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
As I look at my current gear, I lack a good set of rain jackets/pants. My intent was to pick up a HH Impertech deluxe jacket and pants.

I was looking for suggestions to an alternative to the HH. Don't get me wrong, I know the HH will certainly fill the bill. However, I was curious to other mountaineering gear.

I am foremost a hunter and will primarily be used in hunting and hiking (active). While camo is not a must, I would prefer more earth tone colors versus bright colors or black.

I really don't was "noisey" stuff but I understand there is a compromise with rain gear.

Should be durable but not necessarily bombproof. Semi-packable would be preferred and overall weight is a consideration.

Just not wanting to overlook alternatives to the Helly Hansen.

thanks

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Based on your requirements, I would strongly suggest a look at the Integral Designs eVent Thru Hiker. eVent is by far the most breathable "waterproof/breathable" fabric on the market, and ID makes excellent equipment. It comes in a nice green (maybe dark olive) color. I believe Doc on here has one, he could give you a full field report.

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
While maybe not a deal breaker, the pants are only offered in black. Funny how some manufacturers market there gear??

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I picked up some HH Impertech and it is practically bombproof - down side is it's heavy if you are packing it just in case of a change in the weather and if you are wearing it you get wet from the inside out as there is no breathing of the material. But in a downpour you won't get wet - at least not from the rain!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
REI also now offers a few items made with eVent, FWIW.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been using Red Ledge for years. We don't have a lot of rain here, but in the 5 or 6 years I've been carrying them, they've held up nicely, plus the price is very reasonable. Available at Sportmans' Warehouse among others.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Marmot Precip has worked for me. Price is right, light and packable and they have decent colors.....in the jackets anyway. You might be stuck with black in the pants.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use cloudveil zorro jacket and pants. Its not quiet though. Not really loud either. Pretty light for having full pit zips 23oz for the pants and jacket.

They are on sale at STP right now as well.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I went with TAD Gear's Predator shell. It is constructed with eVent, but has pit zips. The other jackets that I was able to find that are made using eVent don't have them. It comes in black, tan, and green. I got the green and love the jacket.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Except for very, very wet areas like coastal Alaska, I'd look primarily to eVent products today, as it actually keeps up with most perspiration levels, unlike Gore-Tex or most other membranes. Integral Designs, Westcomb, and Rab all use eVent in some great garments, many of which have pit zips even though I don't feel that they are necessary with that materials breathability. Let me know if you'd be interested in any of the above, I might have a deal for you.

Carl

Empirical results rule!
IC B3

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
PM sent to you Carl

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pretty good deal if you are Med or XL:

http://www.prolitegear.com/integral_designs_event_jacket.html

I just realized this is the jacket (shorter) and not the Thru Hiker (longer)

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Over the years;
I have the Precip- good all around jacket- careful with bug spray on this
HH Imperitech- solid and what I use for Ak, BC or possible continuous rain conditions. It doesn't wick water from the outer layer
Cabelas Dry plus- it will wick water from the outer layer
the same thing has happened with the Ultimate Goretex raingear I had from Cabelas- it eventually gets wet

Cabelas Space Rain- decent stuff for rain showers,cheap, drys quickly and what I use on mtn hunts. Super light and packs small but not very durable if you are bushwhacking

Of course if you must use the stuff with soft outer shell refresh DWR regularly

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by B_Lance

...it will wick water from the outer layer

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think he means it will suck water from the outside layer, and it goes to the inside layer, next to your skin. Yes/no?

Later...

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ok, I see.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by LeRoy
I think he means it will suck water from the outside layer, and it goes to the inside layer, next to your skin. Yes/no?

Later...

Exactly. Any raingear that is alaminate with the softer outer fabric over Goretex is treated with a DWR [water repellant finish]to keep the water beaded and not soaking in. IME, it doesn't take much for that finish to deteriorate to the point where continuous rain will soak the fabric and it will make the inside of the jacket damp. Now unless they have significantly improved these in the last 6 years- my last experience- this info is accurate. The mtn stores like REI sell a silicone based liquid wash in or spray refresher for this fabric.

Its really in areas like the AK islands, BC coast, etc where you can get continuous rain for days on end that you will be miserable in the above gear. The Ak guys I know think the Imperitech is ok but stuff like Swassi [sp- the Kiwi stuff] is better. My hardcore AK guide buddy thinks the Imperitech isn't durable....for my part time usage its fine

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I'm thinking of dropping some money on a Gore-Tex stealth suit.
It's nothing more than a Gore-Tex membrane, that you wear under your outer shell. The Brits first used it and it's really popular with CDN troops.

http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/clothing_and_accessories/1045.htm

You'd want to wear a thin but tough outer layer over this, maybe a NYCO BDU shirt or Mircotex shirt

Last edited by elelbean; 02/28/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elelbean
I'm thinking of dropping some money on a Gore-Tex stealth suit.
It's nothing more than a Gore-Tex membrane, that you wear under your outer shell. The Brits first used it and it's really popular with CDN troops.

http://www.cpgear.com/StoreBox/clothing_and_accessories/1045.htm

You'd want to wear a thin but tough outer layer over this, maybe a NYCO BDU shirt or Mircotex shirt

I am betting that outfit would get hot in short order, especially if it wasn't raining. The clothing on the outside getting soaked in a hard rain doesn't sound like a great idea either due to the weight gain and I would think chilling might come in to play also since the membrane isn't thick enough to insulate so base layers would seem to be necessary to prevent that.

Ever think about soft shells coupled with some sort of impervious light gear for heavy rains? I sweat ALOT and started using softshells for cold weather trips and stow(or wear) a hooded windshirt for warmer weather trips using either of those during light rains (since I get wet from the inside anyway) with a sil-nylon poncho in the pack for really heavy rains.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the Cabelas "Rain Suede Packable Rainwear" with "Dry Plus" Haven't used it in a HARD, constant rain; but its been OK. my question is: is Gore Tex/Dry-Plus the same? What makes the others mentioned above better. I would appreciate info for further purchases. Thanks. Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 60 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,892
Posts18,518,350
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.